Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 6:30 am

Not in the same way that many of the male posters complaining in the Love and Dating forum do, but "aspie girlfriends" in the sense of having friends that are also female and aspie.

I think this is my favorite forum on this site even though it has the least activity, simply because I've never heard from other female aspies before and so much of what you say seems to echo my own personal life experience.

I actually first came to this site because I had to write an essay for an ethnic/gender type course- about two groups I identified with, and how these identities conflicted each other within the "presentation of my self." Female was the obvious choice for one, but I figured being caucasion was too common to really use as an ethnic-group. So I went back to my old diagnosis, found the link on wikipedia, and (the day before my paper was due) posted an essay-oriented question here about being a female aspie. (Don't worry, I cited you guys as a source. :wink:) Surprisingly enough, I got some thoughtful replies that actually made me interested in my diagnosis for the first time. So I kept coming back. That thread actually stayed active for quite awhile.

Thing is, I haven't really had any female friends since high school that lasted more than a month. And any that I've ever had only became so because we were in situations where we were forced to talk so often we eventually got to know each other. To this day girls always tell me they assumed I didn't like them at first and that I made them feel uncomfortable. I make a point not to glare at people or look annoyed all the time like I did in high school, but apparently it isn't working.

The only friends I end up making are guys, because it seems I offend and confuse them less and they don't get upset or assume I think I'm better than them just because I don't call or go out much. But since I got in a relationship within a few months of moving here, I can't really make guy friends either.

Granted this is partially my fault, since I don't really have a reason to try as hard, but I've also found that guys are less likely to become your friend if they already know you have a significant other that you are serious about. Kinda like this "oh...you're another dude's chick, um... I don't know if it's cool to be hanging out with you all the time" mentality.

But mostly, it's just frustrating because so many of the women posters here- particularly the ones who are older than me- seem to have so much insight into issues that don't seem to exist in the real world for anyone but me. Don't get me wrong, reading the replies and the few PMs have been greatly appreciated, but it's starting to get embarrassing when stories of my social life consist of, "Oh, and then ______ responded with ::insert witty remark here:: and it was so obviously true, you could practically hear the guy stop typing to think that one over."

I mean, I like being by myself more than most, but I hear all three of my housemates (or at least the smart one who doesn't seem to dislike me) conversing with one or two friends in the living room about stuff that really only girls find interesting, I kinda regret not making more of an effort to learn social skills.

Sheesh... the more stressed and more stuff I have to get done, the more I post here. WP is now my new OCD tick. :oops:

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2008, 6:47 am

you sound really nice and
seem to have a good disposition in life
i'm sure people, girls, would be drawn
to your kind nature and wouldn't mind
becoming your friend...

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 7:33 pm

Thanks, Kaytie. :) I guess it just seems that my outside disposition doesn't always appear to match my thoughts. (I know, join the club, right?)

...um, that was a lot longer than I thought it was last night. I think what I really meant to say was, "Wow, a lot of the women on these forums just seem really cool to me. I wish I knew people like that in real life. "

...I don't drink, so 54+ hours without sleep is as close as I can get to that state of intoxication. ...that might excuse at least part of that post length, right? :oops: (Well, at least that was my last final. First completed year at a "real" college, I'll learn time management for senior year.)

KSea
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2010, 9:57 pm

Well, this post hasn't been commented on in a couple years but I'm seeking out female aspie friends too! How are you doing these days? I'm new to WP and recently diagnosed--and it's been amazing to read things showing me I'm not the only one that has felt/dealt w/ certain things that I felt so isolated on!

KSea
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2010, 9:57 pm

Well, this post hasn't been commented on in a couple years but I'm seeking out female aspie friends too! How are you doing these days? I'm new to WP and recently diagnosed--and it's been amazing to read things showing me I'm not the only one that has felt/dealt w/ certain things that I felt so isolated on!

AW
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2010, 11:26 pm

some aspie girl friends would be my biggest wish right now, not just the ones I PM coz I never see them, really :(
Be nice to know someone I fully relate to :?: :P :roll: :oops: 8)

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 8:44 am

I had an NT female friend but she moved downstate. I found out I might be aspie and excited and relieved, so I emailed her and that was months ago. All I can figure is she got weirded out and I figure that was the end of that chapter in my life.