Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 9:55 pm

I don't like to be touched by anyone, the cats, my wife, my daughter...

It drives me up a wall but I do tolerate it for the sake of familial relationships especially with Olivia because she's exploring. It gets especially bad when I'm annoyed or angry. Then I get on the offensive if someone tries touching me like when I'm pissed at something and my wife wants to give me a hug or kiss me, I hold my hands up in a defensive position and she knows to back off.

anyone else?

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 10:08 pm

It doesn't bother me because I can "see" it coming...so to speak...not very comfortable with very light/tickling touch and when I'm angry I don't really like to be touched either, I'll pull away usually then.

I hate being suddenly jostled, bumped into, shoved, or having someone step on my foot. That tends to put me on the defensive.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 10:12 pm

I'm like that to a certain extent - I don't like being touched by anyone except my husband or one of my children. I tolerate it by doctors and nurses because they HAVE to examine me, but even so I'm extremely tense the whole time. I don't shake hands and I don't hug much, either, and avoid 'huggy' people like the plague. The other day at work, a coworker who was leaving the company was saying good-bye to everyone and giving them hugs. I wished her well verbally but didn't get up from behind my desk to hug her. She didn't seem annoyed by the fact that I'd avoided her, but later on I wondered if I'd offended her. Oh well, it doesn't matter. She's gone now anyway.

dudeofthedead
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2008, 10:19 pm

I hate being touched, especially being pawed at, UNLESS its a little kid. They're allowed to climb all over everything anyway; they don't bother me.

I don't get touched or felt very often though, so its not that big of a problem. I'm just hoping it doesn't extend to intimacy or I'm gonna have some problems. :(

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 10:25 pm

dudeofthedead wrote:
I hate being touched, especially being pawed at, UNLESS its a little kid. They're allowed to climb all over everything anyway; they don't bother me.

I don't get touched or felt very often though, so its not that big of a problem. I'm just hoping it doesn't extend to intimacy or I'm gonna have some problems. :(

My son is the opposite - he doesn't like being around small children because they whine, cry and screech, noises that he can't tolerate. Plus, he HATES being touched - even by family members - and by kids, especially. He swears he will never get married or have kids of his own and I believe it.

qaliqo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2008, 10:54 pm

Generally speaking, not a big fan of touch. I jump if I am not expecting it and someone touches me - not like being touched doesn't cause a tense up all the time, but not the jumpiness. Do like a good massage, although it is hard to tolerate. When being intimate, okay with touching, although highly distractable by tickling, including my own long hair.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 11:31 pm

I do not like being touched at all. Especially being poked.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 11:33 pm

I hate being surprised by touch; I loathe being touched by strangers. At the same time, there are times that I long to be close to those that I have built relationships with, and experience the touch of someone familiar... whether it be a hug, a handshake, a kiss, et al. Strange dichotomy there.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 11:40 pm

I hate anyone except a few 'chosen' people touching me unless by permission and even then I'm twitchy about it. People at school always want to touch you and don't even seem to notice, I hate it >_<. I tend to tell people when I'm going to touch them because I feel like they should be asked for permission first.

I generally can tolerate small children, though I spend way too much time with my step-nephew. He is the only child allowed to climb on me or touch me without expressed permission mostly because we are around each other so much and he understands Auntie Leila's (yes he gets away with calling me Auntie Leila because that's how he pronounces Lily don't ask me why...) feelings towards touching.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 11:44 pm

Just thought I'd offer up the opposite...

I like to touch. I really like to hug and snuggle.
At work, I am the person who might walk by you, say hello, ask how you are doing (and stop to listen to you if you say "not so good")...

But I have a friend and co-worker who I believe is AS.
She is like you Digger... in a way I think...
It has taken me some time to finally get it through my head that she does not want me coming up and touching her, especially without warning.

It was a bit disconcerting to me at first because I usually take those responses too personally.
I now realize what it means to her for me to walk up and touch her and I do not take it personally any more.

I don't know really what I am adding to this thread... I just wanted to say that coming from a person you might recoil from... I understand, accept and want to respect your space and others.

Even if you feel you cannot give your daughter as much physical touch as a non-AS person, you can still show her how much you love her.

cinderannie
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2008, 11:46 pm

EXCEPT when I'm annoyed/frustrated/angry... then it makes me want to scream. Someone crowding up and bumping me when I'm working on a stressful project... trying to hug me when I'm mad at them... :evil:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 12:09 am

I'm not a big fan of being touched, either. I can put up with it, but I tend to avoid it.

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2008, 12:23 am

My son is OVERLY affectionate. But needs things like bear hugs, deep pressure (often wants me to lay my whole weight on him etc) and kisses me about 50 times a day.

He is the opposite of not wanting to be touched.

Lainie

25 May 2008, 12:56 am

Sometimes I don't like to be touched and sometimes I do.

But I don't have enough tolerance for touch to give men normal affection. My boyfriend had to learn to get used to it. I don't understand why men want lot of affection. Mine is never enough. :(
I wonder if women are the same way.

I also hate unexpected hugs but I don't freak out or anything or snap. I just go stiff or I pull away or push them away.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:15 am

I don't date because I tried it once and he expected too much out of me - always wanting to hold hands and hug me and such. My family don't understand this and I often get teased about how I'm the only one who doesn't date.

A lot of my friends don't get it either, they want hugs and to touch. I tried it for last year and went home every day hating life and hoping the world would explode so it would all stop.

Sorry to sound unlike my usually upbeat self but today has been a trying day.

Stealth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2008, 3:25 am

When someone touches me at random, I tend to jump. Even when I give or receive a hug I have this uncomfortable feeling.