Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 8:11 pm

So yeah... In case you gamers didn't know, DMC was adapted into a 12 episode anime. I saw episode 1 on Youtube before it got licensed in the US. I thought it was pretty cool. Any thoughts...?

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 8:15 pm

heard of it but never seen it.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2008, 8:18 pm

Y'know, I have an irrational dismissal of this series because it's based on a video game thanks to Hollywood's routine raping of video game movies.

Which is ironic, since I've enjoyed several anime based on video games. I just never knew it until I looked up their Wiki article.

peppicatred
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2008, 8:19 pm

i guess it would be interesting,
they really need to turn Castlevania into an anime, they did this wigged out cartoon of it once but it was so stupid.
Anyhow... DMC4 is supposed to be good, unfortunatley we dont have a ps3.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 8:59 pm

Oh, god. I found it very, very disappointing. There was so much potential for coolness, but it ended up being so lame. I'm not even a big fan of the games but I've seen many of their cutscenes online. I watched all 12 episodes of the anime online hoping it'd pick up but it didn't.

There was no continuing story, almost all of it was filler. And none of the stories were very good. Many of them were achingly predictable and cliche and tedious, slow-paced, all the time you're waiting for it to get past the exposition that you've figured out already, and just get to the damn action. And then when the action did happen, usually it would always turn out the same:

-Character we don't care about is getting attacked by devils
-Devils attack the camera
-The camera rushes towards the character we don't care about, who's screaming
-There's a splash of blood
-Dante is standing there, having had come out of nowhere, and says some one-liner
-Music starts up
-Dante starts attacking the devil except we don't see much of it because of obscure camera angles and lack of real animation, and all the while there's absolutely no risk for him at all--he does it all effortlessly and casually
-The battle slows down and Dante delivers a final killing slash to the devil even though it feels like they just started fighting
-Dante goes home and gets bitched at about his debt while the little girl nags him in an annoying voice

I knew I hated the series when in one of the episodes, "Rock Queen," there was a woman who was supposed to have a truly awesome voice--and the music she was playing really kinda sucked. And they showed the tracklist on the record, which Dante said was "special," and the tracks were something like, "Mermaid rock," and "It's my rock and roll song." Um. Wow, way to be creative, guys.

And they really did try to get this whole punk rock vibe going throughout the whole thing by having episodes about biker races and deadly poker games and bar fights and a guitar-driven soundtrack and all that, but the anime's creators really just didn't seem to have any idea of how to actually create the right vibe or atmosphere for any of it, so it never felt like it actually HAD that hard rock feel, but just was trying to have it.

The devils weren't even that cool.

Whereas the games have you fighting in gothic castles and hellish landscapes, the anime takes places almost entirely in one city, oftentimes during the DAY, where apparently devils happen to pop up all the time (except nobody seems to act like it), to the point where they can run the local prison without anyone knowing it, and this prison is, wow, inescapable, except for Dante it's easy as pie to escape. Wowzers!

Now, Dante was cool. Dante had an awesome outfit, an awesome sword, good mannerisms. He didn't have the whimpy voice like he did in the English version of DMC3. (Note: I watched the Japanese version of the anime with subs, so I dunno how his English voice is.) Then they decided to take the worst aspect of the games and keep THAT in--THE ONE LINERS! You know how in DMC3 they have Dante and Virgil say, "Jackpot!" while killing the end boss?

Yeah. Dante says "Jackpot" while fighting the big baddie at the end of the last episode. Spoiler. But seriously. Out of all the things to take from the games, you keep in freaking "JACKPOT"? What the hell? I'd even take the freaking annoying jester guy over that!

Terrible f*****g anime.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:35 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. ^-^;;;

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2008, 4:50 pm

I didn't really like it. What disappointed me was the action scenes. The DMC games are known for having some of the most over the top crazy action scenes ever, and the anime doesn't even try to replicate that. None of the episodes have anything that was even close to some of the stuff in the game.

But the real kick in the balls was the fact that they made Dante a cranky jerk. He had none of the carefree, "Doesn't take anything seriously"vibe that he had in the games (In 3 and 4 at least anyway).

It really pains me because it could've been so awesome had they done it right, but the makers of the show don't even bother to live up to that potential.