Iran Arrests Suspected Converts to Christianity

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 8:58 pm

oscuria wrote:
I don't like using Wiki, but it has readable info and is somewhat easy to verify.

Ah, Egypt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of ... n_in_Egypt

How free are the Baha'i allowed to practice when the government doesn't officially recognize their existence?

You asked about Christians, Jews, and Hindus. As far as Muslims are concerned, the Baha'i faith, as the Ahmadiya sect, are heretic offshoots of Islam. I'm surprised that Iran and Egypt are the only Muslim countries that haven't recognised the faith.

Quote:
Syria needs pluralism because the Alawites are the one in power. That is the only reason. Sadly, the Jehova Witnesses are banned in Syria.

Yes, that's because they have a habit of proselytizing too much. It's annoying.

Quote:
Iraq has religious freedom? I recall reading that the Mandaeans are being killed to the point that their very existence as a religion and a people is being threatened. There is nothing religious happening in Iraq. Perhaps, after the country is fixed. We'll see. Before it was relatively peaceful.

And who exactly is responsible for disturbing the peace? We all know too well.

Quote:
Saudi Arabia even bans valentine cards and red hearts, do you think they'll allow a person to carry around a cross in public? No, because non-Islamic religious symbols are banned, including the bible. How can they use material that is banned for personal use?

Public display is illegal. It's not illegal for private use.

Quote:

Well, he specifically went to the KSA only to hold mass with his fellow Christians. We all know only too well of the KSA's intolerance. Yes, it's not freedom, but the KSA has just too many restrictive laws. The KSA shows more intolerance towards the Shi'a. Christian expats find it easier to gain employment in the KSA than the Shi'a. Iirc, over half of the unemployed in the KSA are Shi'a.

Quote:
The gulf states like Bahrain has Sikh, Bahai, and other temples. Anything, but those Shias.

Huh? Bahrain has a Shi'a majority. o.o

Quote:
UAE: "The Government prohibits non-Muslims from proselytizing or distributing religious literature, under penalty of criminal prosecution, imprisonment, and deportation, as it constitutes engaging in behavior offensive to Islam. While there are no specific laws against missionary activities, in the past the Government reportedly has threatened to revoke the residence permits of persons suspected of missionary activities. There were no reports of such threats during the period covered by this report." Well that's nice of them.

There's no difference between the USA and the UAE, IMO. The UAE is an Americanised Arab state. Dubai is the drug & prostitute capital of the middle east. The UAE changes every day. Now it's legal for residents to sue taxi drivers! The UAE has the fastest development in the middle east when it comes to human rights.

Quote:

Mob violence is common everywhere in South Asia. Bangladesh is no exception.

Quote:
Pakistan? You being an Indian should know that the Pakistanis have not been so hospitable to the Hindus. Of course, the Hindus in India don't always treat the Muslims kindly in some instances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Pakistan

Again, mob violence.

Quote:
Indonesia love the Jews and the Ahmadiyyas, don't they? How many times have people protested violently against the ahmadiyya?

There's a huge difference when people protest and when the government persecutes.

Quote:
This is an incident which is rarely ever heard of in the West committed by Christians, and in Turkey of all places.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6568911.stm

In what way is that government sanctioned violence?

Quote:
Yes, the vigilante justice that occurred after 9/11 was an event which brought animals into the spotlight. But it is not a common thing, in fact it is isolated to that event, while muslims who convert outside of their faith are arrested or murdered by their own people. However, such "justice" was not what I had in mind in my posts and you should have understood that. If that was the case, then the converts to Islam post-9/11, and there have been many, would have been shot dead already, when you consider that the men were killed for appearing middle eastern/muslim, and not for converting.

The fact that missionaries are allowed in some Islamic countries is one, the fact that they can't acquire converts or spread the "gospel" is another. This is what I meant about pluralism. In the west you won't find Islamic proselytizers being arrested or banning the selling of Qur'ans, or the destruction of Mosques just because they don't follow the religion of the majority. Is there discrimination? Yes, but the same laws discriminate against Christians.

They're not allowed in some Muslim countries, they're allowed in most. The fact that they haven't been able to acquire a significant number of converts is due to their failure. Outside the gulf states, persecution is rare.

Quote:
You see the propaganda from the Muslims in the west, haven't you? There have been protest near the remains of the twin towers where Muslims called for the destruction of America. There have been protests in Europe where Muslims can be seen spouting off ridiculous rhetoric against their host country. I want to see this in the Islamic world, and not by it being followed with military tanks running over the people.

The middle east ain't China.

marshall wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
No Muslim country shows direct intolerance, they just have restrictions imposed. For example, in the KSA, proselytizing and public display of non-Islamic religious material is illegal, but legal for personal use. The UAE also has the same laws, but allows construction of non-Muslim religious buildings with governmental approval. The same applies to all the Gulf countries, sans Iraq and Yemen, which are secular.

:lol: :roll: That's the best you can come up with. Hahahaha.

This is so sad. Denying freedom of speech to the competition is not tolerance.
It only serves to show that your religion is powerless without government/authority propping it up. If a religion was actually true you'd think it would be able to spread on its own merit without the need to place restrictions on the competition.

Yes, I agree it's sad. Again, outside the gulf, persecution is rare. The gulf does not have a high population, the only reason it represents the religious community is due to it being the centre of the faith. Islam is indeed the fastest growing faith in the world, confirmed by the vatican. I don't know about the US, but I do know that an average of 50-100 people convert to Islam per day in the UK.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know about Christians murdering or arresting Muslim proselytizers, but there have been a few incidents in the US since 9/11 when a few Sikhs have been murdered by people mistaking them as Muslims. If that's not intolerance, what is?

There is a VERY important distinction here. These were ILLEGAL and CRIMINAL actions taken by specific individuals. These individuals are in prison now. This is not GOVERNMENT endorsed intolerance like you have in KSA and Iran.

Yes, I agree with you. However, I pointed out the general tolerance of the American community.

Quote:
Quote:
There are lots of people walking around naked in the west. They're known as nudists.

:lol: That’s just stupid. In most western countries that I’m aware of public nudity is illegal except in specific designated places.

Well, oscuria said that you'll all be mad if you were to parade around naked, and I pointed out that some of you do.

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly oscuria, I think that the image of the Islamic world that you have is that of a bunch of bearded men and women covered in black living in tents in oasis's and using camels for transport.

I’m not going to speak for oscuria, but I don’t think that at all. I don’t see Muslims as being any different from westerners in most cases. Just because I don’t approve of everything in Islamic culture doesn’t mean I’m ignorant. I don’t approve of the Islamic religion because it’s promoted on fear and unconditional authority, things which are antithetical to my own philosophy. I don’t care much for Christianity either, mostly for the same reasons. Sorry.

A year ago, if you said the same thing to me, I would have agreed with you, but now my situation has changed. I realised that I need to fear Allah in order to prevent myself from doing sinful things.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 9:28 pm

kahn: are you from india or maybe have work out there?

just curious because i find views from other parts of the world on international matters to be very interesting just because world politics gets very myopic when it's just the states, canada, and the UK.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 9:45 pm

oscuria wrote:
I'm sure SkaFather gets excited when he hears news like this, but then again he probably wont expose himself to such information because its from Faux News. After all, The Iranian regime is routinely arresting and murdering people who are not Muslims, like the Bahai whom I'm sure Ska would agree with the Iranians are muslim apostates waging Zionism.

Kalister1 wrote:
Christianity has a long history of forcefully converting people too. During the Dark Ages, many Pagans were put to death for their beliefs. Please don't act all high and mighty about Christianity, its all the same disease.

Are we living in the dark ages? With your intellect I'm assuming we are.

Cyanide wrote:
QFT. Christianity is no more or less "loving and tolerant" than Islam.

Oh, and how about the Crusades, Ragtime? Can you explain that?

Name a Christian nation that makes it against the law to convert to another faith, and if you are found to convert you are to be put to death because of it.

I guess people here support an Islamic Crusade, after all the Christians had one too!

I've proven myself to have much more insight than you multiple times. You tend to just spout off rhetoric, while expecting us to find it profound.

Christians would love to return to the power they had during the Dark Ages.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 9:52 pm

Kalister1 wrote:

they still have quite a bit of power....i mean there weren't riots or anything over bush's faith based initiatives program that favors christian programs over any other religion. there wasn't more than a shrug over any challenges to having "God" printed on our money (where's my polytheist homies at??). creationism is being taught in many schools. teen pregnancy rates are soaring (thank you christianity condemning the use of condoms!).

sure, they can't burn heretics at the stake anymore nor are they holding open book burnings for the gnostic gospels...but they are by no means impotent.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:05 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:

sure, they can't burn heretics at the stake anymore nor are they holding open book burnings for the gnostic gospels...but they are by no means impotent.

I agree, and I'm not denying they don't have some power. But, I think we both mean the same thing, though expressed in different words, when we say they don't have overbearing power to the extent they had even only a couple hundred years ago. They still do, of course, have some power.

Last edited by Kalister1 on 31 May 2008, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:56 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
like as if anything from fox news is to be believed? they're a bastion of neo-con propaganda and yellow journalism.

Are you saying that the concept of Ahmadinejad would order Christians arrested and jailed doesn't sound likely?
I tend to believe it, myself.

of course you'd believe something like that. you think everyone is trying to have christians arrested. your beliefs have proven elsewhere on this forum to be little more than delusions and little to no proof to back it up. i don't see much reason why you believing anything would be proof.

I agree on this one ska, people like raggy love to point out "examples" of "anti-christian oppression". Usually theyr just exagerating to feed their own victimology complex, they see themselves as "victims" whenever someone raises resistance to them force-feeding their religion onto secular society. basically 'I'm a victim for not being able to proselytize and victimize others".
There are no doubt real cases of them being discriminated, especially throughout the arab world, but when they go on one of those evangelical tangents trying to force-feed their religion onto others, they loose moral credibility to confront those situations. because they just look like a bunch of dumb hypocrites.
Also raggy, I have a question for you..... Most likely, you believe that "America is a Christian nation" right? Right? Well, the Native Americans were the 1st people here, they worshipped their tribal gods and goddesses. They certainly were not christians. And many tribes lived in peace that thousands of years of Christianity has never accomplished through it's years of bloodshed. So, how is this a "Christian nation" again?

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 7:04 am

skafather84 wrote:
kahn: are you from india or maybe have work out there?

just curious because i find views from other parts of the world on international matters to be very interesting just because world politics gets very myopic when it's just the states, canada, and the UK.

I'm a citizen of India. I was born and brought up here. I belong to the Pathan (Pashtun, Pakhtun) ethnic group, of the Lodi (Lodhi) clan which belongs to the Ghilzai tribe. My clan conquered North India 5 and a half centuries ago, ruling Northern India & parts of northern Pakistan for 75 years. Since then, we've become completely Indianised.

I'm studying B.A. right now in college, and I've taken political science as one of my subjects. I've always found international politics fascinating.

snake321 wrote:
Also raggy, I have a question for you..... Most likely, you believe that "America is a Christian nation" right? Right? Well, the Native Americans were the 1st people here, they worshipped their tribal gods and goddesses. They certainly were not christians. And many tribes lived in peace that thousands of years of Christianity has never accomplished through it's years of bloodshed. So, how is this a "Christian nation" again?

In that case, there's no such thing as a Christian nation. In fact, these are the states that have Christianity as their official religion.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 4:26 am

Kalister1 wrote:

I've proven myself to have much more insight than you multiple times. You tend to just spout off rhetoric, while expecting us to find it profound.

Insightful where? You spout off insults with no facts, just based on emotions.

Why would I want Christians to have power? I'm not Christian, I don't care much about their want in politics.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 4:30 am

Khan_Sama wrote:

Khan...my argument was against countries who send money to the west so Mosques get built, Qurans get printed, and to open up Islamic Schools.

How much of this money comes from KSA? Yet, where is there a church in KSA? Where is there a Synagogue? Where is there a temple that isn't islamic? It's pure BS.

The Bahais are considered an offshoot of Islam in Islamic countries which is why they're banned, but why then can't Western countries consider Islam an offshoot of Christianity and ban it equally?

Again, it's bs.

And how can missionaries (non-christian or christian) acquire converts when many Muslim countries ban conversion?

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 4:48 am

oscuria wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:

Insightful where? You spout off insults with no facts, just based on emotions.

Why would I want Christians to have power? I'm not Christian, I don't care much about their want in politics.

oscuria wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
yes but many see him as ridiculous
a lot of people don't want to hear about him

If you mean him as in Jesus, that is because they are fools and intolerant.

oscuria wrote:
Letum wrote:
Stupid man?

The blogger is female.

Eh, who cares. I don't.

oscuria wrote:
z0rp wrote:
Religion is just incredibly annoying and stupid in general, take that comment anyway you like I can care less.

As far as religious people converting other religious people, what difference does it make if they all 'preach much of the same thing'?

Because ridiculous people like you would actually believe something like that.

oscuria wrote:
Are we living in the dark ages? With your intellect I'm assuming we are.

As you can plainly see, I wouldn't be so fast to hurl the accusations next time. You really seem to be quite the hypocrite. I think this line of conversation is over, and won't be responding to anything else pertaining to your accusation of insult hurling.

Human nature does not change drastically over the span of a couple years; if Christians were allowed to, they would bring back burnings of those they deemed as heretics. The common justification of "the ends justify the means", or some variation of it, would probably be employed.

Also, no where in my post did I say you would want Christians in power. If you assume I did, I suggest you read it again, its quite a short post.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 5:04 am

Kalister1 wrote:
As you can plainly see, I wouldn't be so fast to hurl the accusations next time. You really seem to be quite the hypocrite. Besides that, as I think this line of conversation is over, and won't be responding to anything else pertaining to your accusation of insult hurtling, human nature does not change drastically over the span of a couple years; if Christians were allowed to, they would bring back burnings of those they deemed as heretics. The common justification of "the ends justify the means", or some variation of it, would probably be employed.

1) The people who are anti-Jesus are foolish and intolerant. I have yet met a person who insults Jesus and is not either of the two. How can you consider wise a person who makes it his duty to insult an "imaginary" person?

2) That was my thread. I didn't really care if she was a male or female. The point was to insult the person for creating such a stir about some "terror scarf".

3) And?

4) Yes, because bringing up the Inquisition and the Crusades whenever Christianity is mentioned is justified? In this case we cannot mention Germany without mentioning Nazism, Islam without Jihad and terror, Israel without Zionism and occupation, Africa without famine and aids, America without slavery and atomic bombs, Russia without Communism, and so forth and so forth.

I seem to be quite the hypocrite. Yes, thank you for opening my eyes. Frankly, I am not as interested as pointing out how idiotic you are by referencing a couple of your posts. Considering that I rarely use the language that you do when insulting, I consider my remarks rather tamed compared to yours.

However, thanks for the laugh and at attempting to appear the better of the two of us.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 7:34 am

Ragtime: If you are so worried about Iran persecuting Xians why then did you have a poll about witch burning? Sounds like a few strings of hypocrisy, or is it the whole damn orchestra?

The reason the Dark Ages and the Crusades are brought up ad nauseum and ad infinitum whenever you go off on one of your rants is because you lot are the masters of subjugation. Cathars, pagans, Gnostics, Jews (remember Torquemada), Muslims, Buddhists, witches, matter of fact anyone who didn't toe the party line was f****d burned and killed in that order. You may say you allow others religious freedom, but when your government is backed to the hilt by fundamentalists and Jews who want the Muslim threat wiped out, then it seems a bit hypocritical to be whinging about persecution of your own species. Mebbe if you stopped with all the inflammatory arguments, you might not get so much negativity. But then, Karma works in mysterious ways.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:37 am

The_Chosen_One wrote:
Ragtime: If you are so worried about Iran persecuting Xians why then did you have a poll about witch burning? Sounds like a few strings of hypocrisy, or is it the whole damn orchestra?

The reason the Dark Ages and the Crusades are brought up ad nauseum and ad infinitum whenever you go off on one of your rants is because you lot are the masters of subjugation. Cathars, pagans, Gnostics, Jews (remember Torquemada), Muslims, Buddhists, witches, matter of fact anyone who didn't toe the party line was f**** burned and killed in that order. You may say you allow others religious freedom, but when your government is backed to the hilt by fundamentalists and Jews who want the Muslim threat wiped out, then it seems a bit hypocritical to be whinging about persecution of your own species. Mebbe if you stopped with all the inflammatory arguments, you might not get so much negativity. But then, Karma works in mysterious ways.

Blah blah blah.

Not all practices were peaceful and loving. You people act as if Christians are the only ones who murdered heretics. Even you lovely pagans held sacrifices. You weren't all dancing around naked in a fire chanting some spell.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:57 am

Sure, but the Christians are still doing it today. They call it the war against terror.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:03 am

The_Chosen_One wrote:
Sure, but the Christians are still doing it today. They call it the war against terror.

Because having planes fly into buildings is a perfectly acceptable act? As well as bombing embassies.

My, those Islamists sure are fun loving people.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:13 am

That a bunch of Christians did awful things in the past does not excuse a buch Muslims from doing awful things today. Not that I'm saying that they have an exclusive claim to being awful, but "two wrongs make a right" is not a valid argument. Personally, I despise all religious fanatics equally and think the world would be far happier without them, but the Muslim fanatics seem to be the most aggressively fanatical at the moment. Apologizing for and rationalizing Muslim misdeeds because they were oppressed in the past, or pointing out that other people are doing worse things just doesn't work for me. Yet that seems to be the gist of many posts in this thread, perhaps a better argument is not forthcoming because atrocities are inexcusable, no matter who is committing them.