I think I'm starting to hate being a little poor...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:02 pm

Here's the reasons why: It seems most of the kids in my special ed class seem to rich or have lots of money, because they can afford stuff my family can't or even too lazy to afford like go to the movies even week, go to fancy-type restaurants, go on vacations every month or something, can afford stuff like cell phones, MP3 players, video game systems, etc. and it kinda makes me feel bad, too. :(

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:08 pm

Yeah, I was the poor kid in my class too. I tried to hang out with the other one or two poor kids, but we didn't have much in common besides our socioeconomic status . . .

The advantage is that for the rest of your life you'll appreciate things that your classmates will take for granted or feel entitled too.

And you're still young enough to do things that will allow you to escape from poverty, like getting a scholarship to a good university and working your way into the white collar world, or going to some kind of trade school so you can get one of the better paying blue collar jobs.

On top of that, life is more than what kind of job you have and what you own. This will become more clear as you get older, and you'll probably find things that make you really happy but don't cost much money - because you'll have the ability to see things less materialistically than your classmates might.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:32 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
Here's the reasons why: It seems most of the kids in my special ed class seem to rich or have lots of money, because they can afford stuff my family can't or even too lazy to afford like go to the movies even week, go to fancy-type restaurants, go on vacations every month or something, can afford stuff like cell phones, MP3 players, video game systems, etc. and it kinda makes me feel bad, too. :(

Many of them have their luxuries purchased on credit. Watch their families go bankrupt in a few years.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:44 pm

roygerdodger wrote:

Yeah I was the rich kid a lot in different places and it was the opposite, my friends were all poor and I was the rich on :( it's still hard, I learned a lot about being on a limited amount of money from spending all my time with them though and I was always happy to share. Course now were all going poor around here and I can't get anything I used to 8O :?

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:51 pm

I know what you mean. I do have money from an inheritance but it isn't all that much. I can't just go spend it recklessly. It'll all be gone in a year or two.

Until I got my inheritance, I had to work my butt off for money. My dad had it but he horded all for himself.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 9:58 pm

roygerdodger wrote:

Hey it is best to make the best out of what you have got, try reading, buy a crappy old musical instrument and learn it. I started playing guitar when I was about 14, now I'm really awsome at it.

The weird thing about money and posessions, is that they can make people more unhappy. Things that you own can tend to own you. These days I like to keep my posessions to a minimum and keep things simple. There is a saying "more is less".

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 10:04 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:

Hey it is best to make the best out of what you have got, try reading, buy a crappy old musical instrument and learn it. I started playing guitar when I was about 14, now I'm really awsome at it.

The weird thing about money and posessions, is that they can make people more unhappy. Things that you own can tend to own you. These days I like to keep my posessions to a minimum and keep things simple. There is a saying "more is less".

And less is more :wink:

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2008, 11:50 pm

I was one of the poor kids too. I think that is where alot of my social phobia came from. I felt as if I was less-than everone else. I hated it. :twisted: :|

P.S. I'm sorry if that sounded like a rant. :shrug:

Those who know, don't speak.

Johnklok
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2008, 12:23 am

I'm poor, unemployed, and lonely.....and I've aways been poor, and solitary. It sucks so much it sometimes distracts me from my real goals, and the people I'm in-touch with. Then I go through most of the day not even realizing how much worse it could be. But each day still somehow comes as if there may still be something better to live for within the future, considering I'm usually left feeling like there's something missing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 12:26 am

I also hate being a little poor. That's why I'm looking for a job. I hate seeing all the people around me, with their expensive toys and gadgets, while I have clothes that are starting to ware out.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 12:30 am

My family doesn't make much money, but what more can I ask for? Some do not even have a family, let alone a home.

I have a cozy house with AC and heating. It gets to over 100* here, so it's all fine. There is money to buy food. No complaints from me.