Asperger's Syndrome or Asperger Syndrome?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you say Asperger Syndrome or Asperger's Syndrome?
Asperger Syndrome 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Asperger's Syndrome 63%  63%  [ 31 ]
Either 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 49

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 12:28 pm

I usually say just "asperger". Syndrome sounds like down syndrome.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:34 pm

floaty wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
The ICD-10 calls it Asperger's syndrome, but the DSM-IV-TR refers to it as Asperger's Disorder; only Wikipedia, in its infinite wisdom, calls it Asperger syndrome without the apostrophe (and yes, they had a long debate about the apostrophe but decided to go against the nomenclature of the official sources). By the way, it's pronounced /ˈɑsˌpɚgɚz ˈsɪndroʊm/ in the International Phonetic Alphabet.

.. and the National Autistic Society. :roll: I might email them and suggest that they change it. :oops:

In my opinion, we should be going by the official nomenclature used by the diagnostic manuals, no matter what some random autism-related organization (even if it's a big one) says.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 1:45 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Most of the academic articles I've read refer to "Asperger syndrome," so that is how I've written it in my Master's paper. Additionally, if you look at the example of "Down syndrome" (which is definitely spelled without an apostrophe), you can see that being named after someone doesn't necessary mean it should be spelled with "'s".

If fact, if you look at the list of eponymous disorders on Wikipedia (those named after people), you notice this same pattern of omitting the "'s" in most (not all) of them.

A couple of years ago, the Wikicrats decided to standardize on omitting the 's in most cases, and this logic was applied when they renamed the article Asperger's syndrome to Asperger syndrome. They reasoned that, when pronounced, /z.s/ tends to assimilate to [.s]; this trend is even more obvious with /s.s/ being realized as [.s]. Moreover, as these syndromes and disorders enter the vernacular, the 's tends to be lost. This is why Alzheimer's disease is never written or said as Alzheimer disease; assimilation does not occur.

Yes, at one point, most people did write Down's syndrome or Tourette's syndrome. The DSM-IV-TR, for example, still calls Tourette's syndrome Tourette's Disorder.

LoveableNerd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2008, 12:48 am

Ass Burgers.

Sorry, I had to... if it hadn't been me, I'm sure someone would have. :lol:

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 1:12 am

Catspurr's syndrome

Do you or a loved one display these symptoms?

- Cringes to the sound of nails going down chalkboard

- Lack of interest in science

- Fails to look at the minor details

(Results in stepping on rusty nails, not catching the license plate of a car after a hit and run etc..)

- Obsessed with picking out differences and can lead to harming others that are thought of as different

- Impaired ability to question rules and authority.

- Fascinations with celebrities, sports, trends and fashion that seem obsessive

- Startled easily when hair is out of place.

- Rolls eyes :roll: if you take away privileges

- Very picky with friends. Seems to sort out people obsessively based on common interests pertaining to their limited interests relating to current trends or superficial traits.

- Climbs out of window late at night to be around friends which seems to be such an obsessive interest that it keeps the person with catspurr's syndrome restless in order to get their fix.

- Is naive and believes everything that is read from National Enquirer which later seems to be a topic of discussion several times.

- Tends to zone out and goes off in their own obsessive world when other peers talk about important world issues and other forms of educational substance.

- Echoes what a peer that is into more intelligent subjects has told them that day but the person with catspurr's syndrome has no real meaning attached and doesn't know what the subject really means but is just repeating what the other peer had said. Usually you can tell if this is the case by asking in-depth questions. If the person struggles to elaborate further, it should be considered very suspicious.

- Fear of being alone and if left alone gets startled easily.

- Cannot focus on just one task and become good at it. Must have several tasks which impairs the catspurr's sufferer's ability to get a focused career later on in life.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2008, 3:40 am

How Bout A'sS

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 3:47 am

jamescampbell wrote:
How Bout A'sS

be cause everyone has one, but in polite society it is customary to keep them covered.

:wink:

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

14 Feb 2011, 3:55 pm

According to the Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors one should "avoid use of 's in identification of syndromes derived from names of individuals: thus e.g. Angelman Syndrome, Munchausen Syndrome."

Asperger Syndrome is named after Hans Asperger.

ODWE is pretty much the last word on proper form for standard real English. If the ODWE says this is the correct usage, then this is the correct usage, at least in scientific contexts.

There is no entry for "disorder".

The rules for Chicago (American) English may differ. For real English, Wikipedia are right, for once.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.