Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 2:40 pm

I'm convinced I can tell now that I know what to look for, like the guy at church today who asked I was alright, I sad not really and walking away said "I'll add that to my mental prayer list" not looking at me the entire time.

I've also have said only one sentence to someone and they say "You sound smart..." once after I just greated someone in the store... I get "you sound smart so much I wonder if it is my voice.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:27 pm

Angnix wrote:
I'm convinced I can tell now that I know what to look for, like the guy at church today who asked I was alright, I sad not really and walking away said "I'll add that to my mental prayer list" not looking at me the entire time.

I've also have said only one sentence to someone and they say "You sound smart..." once after I just greated someone in the store... I get "you sound smart so much I wonder if it is my voice.

I have had that sort of thing happen to ME a lot also! It IS odd. You don't even use any "big" words, and some STILL think that. One person that works with me, without even really knowing me, says to me "You must use like 100% of your brain, because you are SO smart!"! And she isn't kidding about that being her belief!

With ME, I KNOW it isn't my voice. I sound younger than I am.

BTW I saw a person pulling out like I usually do(apparently it is a standard autistic compensation for differences in perception), and I couldn't help but wonder if HE was autistic! It would be funny if he was, since that is ALL I saw!

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:44 pm

Yes, I think it's very easy to identify an Aspie once you know about AS.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 6:40 pm

My son is a mere eight-years old and was always referred to as "smart" as well. I was convinced he was just gifted and this contributed to his issues. Not so.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 8:10 pm

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

I agree that a trained professional should be able to spot an Aspie within the space of a thirty minute conversation. Regular folks, however, may not notice anything specific the first hour, or even the first day, but within a week or so, they're leaning to each other and whispering "That person is soo smart, but have you noticed they're a little...weird?"

kuiamalynne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2008, 8:14 pm

I agree that in order to tell, one must have some experience with or knowledge of AS. I have been able to spot it in others usually after several minutes. My disability counselor at school said that she can clearly tell that I am on-spectrum due to her experience, but that I tend to mask things fairly well. Some of my profs are shocked to learn, while others feel that knowing about my AS is a confirmation of their previous suspicions. It all depends, really, I think.