Are you more attached to objects than people?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:38 pm

I have always loved my stuffed animals as if they were alive. I've often heard that people with cystic fibros or senestive imune systems cannot have them because they pick up germs very easily (my fourteen year old Timon plushie would probably look like a petri dish if put under a microscope.) I am watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition right now and they have a girl who has to take anti rejection medicine and it messes up her immune syestem. Ty said that they cannot put anything fabric covered in the house. I assume that means no stuffed animals. If I had a sibling like that I would hate them forever for making me get rid of my stuffed animals. I know that sounds selfish but then I have been called a selfish person. r. Are all Autistic people like this? No touching my Timon! *sits on him and snarls*

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2008, 10:45 pm

not objects but animals

i've always cared more for my pets than
some of my relatives ...
i remember when my fia died it was horrible
i got depressed but when an aunt died several
years ago, i couldn't care less, well i wasn't
close to the aunt..waah..i really didn't care if
she lived or died..cold huh, i know.

amaren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2008, 10:49 pm

I'm like this too - for a long time I was more attached to Turtle (stuffed animal) than anyone else. Sometimes people at school would call him Myrtle, and I was dreadfully offended on his behalf, and would cry for hours - and I was about 14! I've got some friends who are as close to me as Turtle now, and they're more demanding, so he spends a lot of time in a box with my other precious things, but I would be devastated if anything happened to him, and I still get him out to talk if things are going badly, or to show him interesting weather, which we both love.

I also get attached to fictional characters frequently. After re-reading an old favourite book I become quite dazed and upset that they're gone and I've got the real world back.

I doubt it's *all* autistic people, but it's probably more common among those on the spectrum, as humans are unpredictable and confusing, but most of us still want emotional closeness to something.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 10:54 pm

I have several file cabinets that are crammed with 'souvenirs'. Most are from people I have loved over the years. I can just touch them. . feel the contours of a necklace here, a picture there, a pair of fingernail clippers, a ribbon, a needle threader, a small wreath, a child's happy meal toy, a pendent from a key ring. I can tell you all about the person who owned these things just by memory and feeling the objects. It brings memories flooding back to me and I hold them dear.
I just couldn't be in the same room with those folks I loved for too long, or the feelings would leap out of my heart and I would be inappropriate with them because I wanted so much to relate to them, but, well. . .

so I horde and treasure their objects, it gives me release.

Merle

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 11:11 pm

I've always treated objects like they have feelings.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:01 am

amaren wrote:
I also get attached to fictional characters frequently.

So do I. I tend to become extremely attached to fictional characters, loving them as I would real people.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:09 am

I am attached to my wii. I get more attached to animals than people. I have been attached to people from time to time but not many.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:46 am

IdahoRose wrote:
amaren wrote:
I also get attached to fictional characters frequently.

So do I. I tend to become extremely attached to fictional characters, loving them as I would real people.

I have the same books in my bookcase as I had as a child. Like Gone With The Wind and Forever Amber, (and more, more, more.) I read them every 10 years or so just to keep up with them, they are my child hood friends. Over the years I have collected more fiction friends and they are always there when I want to spend time with them. They never say 'sorry, I am not interested in busting my ass at post war Tara this week' or "Hey, I am sooo over being a woman acting on the stage during Restoration England" They are right there, doing their daring do. ~sigh!~ thanks gals.

Merle

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 1:02 am

i have been quite attached to objects such as cards, a teddy bear etc. I thought everyone felt that way about fictional characters.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

01 Jun 2008, 1:23 am

I cried when my mother had to get rid of our old refridgerator but didn't cry when my great-grandfather died. It wasn't because I didn't love him, but because I became more attached to the fridge as I saw it everyday. Nevertheless, I was 8 when I cried about the fridge and probably wouldn't do that now.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 1:37 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
I cried when my mother had to get rid of our old refridgerator but didn't cry when my great-grandfather died. It wasn't because I didn't love him, but because I became more attached to the fridge as I saw it everyday. Nevertheless, I was 8 when I cried about the fridge and probably wouldn't do that now.

I burbled and bawled like a baby when I bid good bye to my luscious Daytona red Chrysler Le Baron convertible! Just boo-hooed and sobbed even though I knew I had to ( driving her through the car wash even with her top UP was like being caught in Hurricane Katrina!) I knew I didn't have the money to get her a new top and frankly, when it rained, I had to pick up my feet when I stopped at stop lights because the water would rush forward in the floorboards.
But I had had her since 1992 and 15 years is a long time to use something every day.

But now she is living with a nice family far far away and I have a silver scooter that gets 90 miles to the gallon and gets me anywhere I want to go!

Merle

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 2:30 am

The more people I meet, the more I like my computer.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2008, 4:14 am

cyberscan wrote:
The more people I meet, the more I like my computer.

:lol: that made me laugh a lot.

I am a materialistic person but I dont treat objects like they are alive.

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2008, 5:37 am

As a child I always treated my dolls like living beings.

I'm not quite so attached to objects now as I was then, but I place a lot of sentimental value on certain things. My jewellery, for example. I think of it as an extension of myself and I can remember where I found each piece. When some of it was stolen from me, I cried for months.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 7:13 am

I have always loved my stuffed animals more than people. I refused to go to second grade without my bunny Snowy. Still got her.

And my cat is more important to me than pretty much any human. She's a fat, whiney, loud snoring girl, but I love her.

And I don't think it's so much that the object becomes more important than people... it's just easier to show it when it comes to an object.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 7:42 am

Cold cold people. I'm not sure I do have AS. I love my parents and cat. And computer.