Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 12:31 pm

Since you like it dead why must it have come from an animal rather than a mass of grown protein. I assume they can make it equally tasty. Do you enjoy the concept that it must have visualized its life as a joyful experience and that was destroyed for your pleasure? Is it a kind of macho dominance thing but someone else must go through the experience of extinguishing a life?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 12:43 pm

The animals are killed, yes, but not for me in particular. I wouldn't walk up to a cow and say, "Can ya kill this one for me?" It's pretty impersonal when animals are slaughtered en-masse for beef in the supermarket aisle. That was a pretty sloppy attempt at a guilt trip, I must say. And I don't think I'd want to eat something that began as a big, meaty tumour. But would I know the difference if someone deceived me? Maybe. If the animal's had a good life, you can taste it. And Grace Before Meals includes thanking the animal for its meat. American Indians take this a few steps further and deify the animal from whose flesh they survive.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 12:48 pm

Guilt? Obviously you are incapable of accepting the consequences of your way of living. Whatever the hell happens to provide you with your desires is of no matter to you.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 1:12 pm

Circle of life, my friend. If I didn't eat dead animals, someone else would have to. How coudl I not value the life of an animal if its death provided for my table? It just depends on how you look at it.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 1:41 pm

I have been in close association with all sorts of animals all my life and the concept that they would prove valuable to me only because I could eat them is the most narrow minded idea I have ever encountered insofar as human animal relationships are concerned. I am sorry for you for the abysmal poverty of your relationships to other life.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2008, 3:37 pm

Don't be sorry.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:26 am

I was vegetarian for religious reasons. I still prefer vegetarian food over non-vegetarian. If you serve me a bowl of rice with tea on one table and steak on the other, I'll choose the bowl of rice.

What got me away from vegetarianism was the fact that I had to "force" my family to actually eat the food with me (being that we eat together). I figured it was selfish of me to tell them what to eat. However, I do manage to convince them at times to eat vegetarian only.

Another reason why I'm not fully vegetarian is more personal. No need to mention it here.

I don't like many of the animal rights groups out there. PETA are hypocrites.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:35 am

dim-sims :lol:

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 5:27 am

I paid good money to get a guide who would take me mountain lion hunting. We got one too. The dogs treed it and I shot that SOB right off a high branch. The ol boy wasnt dead when he hit the ground but the dogs handled it. I was cool with it all until I took the lion to be taxidermied and found out he had broken paws. This isnt normally the sort of thing that happens when a lion falls out of a tree, but rather when theyre caught beforehand and disabled to make for an easier hunt.

no I didnt eat it

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:55 am

Hunt for what?

You do realize that's illegal.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 6:42 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Hunt for what?

You do realize that's illegal.

Illegal? As long as you have a hunting license during hunting seasons. I am aware that other countries make it illegal.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 7:37 am

Oscuria, your post is pretty ironic when paired with a bleeding heart sig about racist murderers in Darfur. You are no bleeding heart, my friend. So just cut the crap. BTW, I would have been more offended if you'd shot a family of mountain lions, skinned them, and took pictures with the skinless bodies of the animals on the roof of your car.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 8:32 am

slowmutant wrote:
Oscuria, your post is pretty ironic when paired with a bleeding heart sig about racist murderers in Darfur. You are no bleeding heart, my friend. So just cut the crap. BTW, I would have been more offended if you'd shot a family of mountain lions, skinned them, and took pictures with the skinless bodies of the animals on the roof of your car.

Explain.