Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2008, 8:51 am

I have decided that I'm interested in getting a diagnosis, and now I'm frustrated because I tried to research everything myself so I wouldn't have to post here, but I'm not getting anywhere. I tried the aspergers society of michigan, and haven't gotten email back, I tried the autistic society of michigan, again nothing days later. I really don't want to see my family doctor simply because I'm afraid they probably don't know anything about aspergers and will end up sending me to some off the wall psychiatrist who also isn't qualified in this area. I don't suppose someone has any suggestions for Michigan? Please put an end to my suffering :)

webwalker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2008, 11:52 am

If you have health insurance (or you are willing to pay for the privilege) go see a neurologist. Explain WHY you think you fall in the range for the diagnosis.

A psychiatrist isn't necessarily in the business of diagnosing a neurological disorder. Not all psychiatrists are 'off the wall.'

Rather than emailing, attend a meeting, get to know some people, and then ask around about their experience.

My diagnosis came about by seeing both my GP and his referral to a psychiatrist. To get the diagnoses (several of them) was a great relief to me, as it proved that somewhere out there, I would find people with similar strengths and weaknesses, and that i wasn't a one-off 'oops' of nature.

M

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:29 pm

Do you have insurance. I don't, I wanted a dx and the expert here in Ohio said 1000 dollars! Cost probably not lower in Michigan...

Anyway, if you really get into studying spectrum disorders and things that can look similar like Shizophrenia and Bipolar, and talk to people with those disorders and you should know.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020