Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you Hate Telemarkters, and want to Torture them?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 17 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:11 pm

I have just received an unwanted phone call from some telemarketer or possible collection agency, they asked for some south asian name that I couldn't understand, heres how it went down. We had the phone ring once they stop, so I checked the number, it was 123-456-7890 this is the actual #, so I waited one minute and they called again, so we decided to have a little fun, I answered with an abrupt voice.
Me - Who is this, What do you want
East Indian guy- I am looking for(insert weird unintelligible name here) I am from Sears
Me - NO! they can not come to the phone, I am Torturing them right now.
East Indian guy-sputtering huhh, I'll call bac k
Screaming Girlfriend - screaming in the background aggh help me! ( :lmao: my girlfriend Alex :lmao: )
East Indian guy- hangs up fast

It feels great taking some revenge on these time wasters, I hope he's having a heart attack right now.
heres a site to check out where some of these numbers are coming from

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-123-45 ... 5wjKk8q1kg

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:25 pm

I used to do telemarketing for a living. Yeah, it's pathetic, but I needed the money. In most "call centers" you sit in front of a computer for 8 hours a day as the calling program automatically dials number after number. When someone answers, you have to read them a specific script, which comes up on the computer screen, until they hang up. If they answer your questions, you have to type in exactly what they say. As you fill in the info, a new screen appears, moving you along in the script. I'd say about 1% of calls reach a person who actually talks to you. Usually, you read the first paragraph or two and then they hang up.

Imagine doing something like this all day - "Hi! I'm Kim and I'm calling on behalf of the Free Rattlesnake Venom Injection Foundation! We're a unique enterprise committed to providing the once-in-a-lifetime experience of being injected with rattlesnake venom! The first injection is completely free of cost! So far, our customers report 100% satisfaction! Better yet, we'll give you a free trial offer and a free vial of Asp Viper Venom should you enjoy our service enough to want to give yourself a different yet similar experience! So might you be interested, Mr. Gobbledigook?" - hang up. (Except obviously, the script is always far less interesting than that one.)

If someone had done something funny like what you did while I was working that mind-numbing job, it would have cracked me up, and really made my day! :D

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

03 Jun 2008, 10:34 pm

I didn't answer your poll Spudnik because I do hate telemarketers but am not quite ready to torture them. Your stunt on that guy was very creative. :thumright: :thumleft: :lol: :lol: :lol:

helene
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2008, 10:50 pm

the next time a telemarketer calls (and I a sure it is a telemarketer) I will speak French. (I speak English, French and some Spanish and live in the US). It will be interesting to hear the telemarketer's reaction to me speaking fast French.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 10:59 pm

velodog wrote:
I didn't answer your poll Spudnik because I do hate telemarketers but am not quite ready to torture them. Your stunt on that guy was very creative. :thumright: :thumleft: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no I wouldn't want to physically torture them, giving them a mental goose is my objective. The phone calls have been a real problem since we can get 5 to 8 calls a day, I need to get some satisfaction too :twisted:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 11:32 pm

The other ugly thing to do to this type of caller is to waste their time. Say "can you hold on a second?", put the phone down and walk away. It's more effective on collectors, since they have a specific list they are working on.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 11:38 pm

I once acted like I couldn't hear what a telemarketer was saying. I kept saying "Huh?" and "What?" :lol:

t0
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 12:25 am

spudnik wrote:
We had the phone ring once they stop, so I checked the number, it was 123-456-7890 this is the actual #

Please keep in mind that the caller-id system in the public switched telephone network is not secure and can be easily forged. Telemarketers do this (000-000-0000 is also common) so that they can still call people with Anonymous Call Rejection turned on.

We had a bad experience with a particular bill collector and insisted that they correspond with us in writing. After 3 or 4 reps (and our repeated refusal to discuss verbally followed by letters indicating that we would only correspond in writing) the collection agency gave up. It's was a good thing for them - I had a PUC investigation going on that had already proven us to be in the right.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 12:42 am

That's very hillarious spudnik.

I'm getting to the point where I can't tell anymore if it's a telemarketer or not. They're getting more and more creative in their schemes. I've had up until recently about two have had called using my name in the sweetest voices like I'm a long lost family member. Then they start this nice little conversation about how I'm doing and introduce themselves as though they were really people. After all that chitchat, I come to find out that I've WON a free cruise to Florida or the Bahamas for no reason!! ! :o

That's so EVIL!! :cry:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 2:20 am

Dox47 wrote:
The other ugly thing to do to this type of caller is to waste their time. Say "can you hold on a second?", put the phone down and walk away. It's more effective on collectors, since they have a specific list they are working on.

Yeah, and it gives them a chance to get some sleep on the job, which is always a good thing. :D

NarfMann
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2008, 4:50 am

I hate using the phone in general, but when it's someone I don't know it makes it worse. It fills me with the fiery rage of a thousand suns. Anyone who frightens people who would visit such horror upon me is okay in my book. :D

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 5:09 am

Not quite in the same vein, but a good friend was once awakened early on a Saturday morning by a pair of missionaries. Clad in boxers, a bath robe, three days of stubble and a decent hangover, he had the presence of mind to go to the kitchen and grab a bowl of candy prior to answering the door. Before either one could start their spiel, he grabbed a handful of candy and shoved into each of their hands while saying "Aren't you guys a little early for Halloween this year? What are you supposed to be, a religion?" before shutting the door and going back to bed.

I can only wish for such presence of mind.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 12:32 pm

I think everyone hates telemarketers. When I lived in England I used to get a regular call from someone in the States trying to sell me shares in one thing or another. It was a strong American accent starting off with "Hello (first name) and how are you doing today". The tone was so insincere and over enthusiastic - like he was my long lost friend. Grrr! The first few times he called I told him I wasn't interested etc, but he always had a come back line. When I said I wasn't interested he said "What? Not interested in making money?". I gave up in the end and every time he phoned I just told him to F**k off and hung the phone up. He still kept phoning every month though and got the same two word reply every month!! !

Now in France I still get telesales calls, the difference is they are in high speed unintelligible French. I just wait for them to go through their script and say "Aurevoir" and hang up.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 12:48 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
If someone had done something funny like what you did while I was working that mind-numbing job, it would have cracked me up, and really made my day! :D

Ha ha, no kidding. I did it for a few weeks, my favorite phone calls were the ones where people would just go off on a tangent and have a pointless conversation.

We weren't allowed to hang up on people unless they hung up first...I would usually pretend that I didn't hear them hang up, and I would wait for the computer to tell me before I stopped reading the script ;)

I never got cussed out, but there were a lot of people who were really unimaginative with their excuses..."I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you." so I kept reading it louder and louder and eventually she just hung up :roll: And other people who would just go "Excuse me, there's something wrong with my phone." and then they'd clank it around on stuff.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 1:01 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Not quite in the same vein, but a good friend was once awakened early on a Saturday morning by a pair of missionaries. Clad in boxers, a bath robe, three days of stubble and a decent hangover, he had the presence of mind to go to the kitchen and grab a bowl of candy prior to answering the door. Before either one could start their spiel, he grabbed a handful of candy and shoved into each of their hands while saying "Aren't you guys a little early for Halloween this year? What are you supposed to be, a religion?" before shutting the door and going back to bed.

I can only wish for such presence of mind.

M.

I had a early Saturday morning visit by quite possibly the same missionaries, I was passed out on my sofa, when my cousin answers the door and invites these odd guys in, I wasn't quite awake, and thought there were part of a nightmare, they were wearing suits, so my first response was to scream, which came out as agghhhhhhhhhh, I then kicked out and smashed all the empty beer bottles off of the coffee table toward them, scaring the f**k out of them and delighting my cousin, who was laughing after knowing what my reaction would be, those guys dropped all there pamphlets on the way out, and never came back.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2008, 1:11 pm

Ahhh... life is beautiful.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!