Do you think oil prices are justified?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 12 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 31

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:49 pm

The recent, and large, fluctuations in oil prices are becoming common.

Do you think that they are justified, or do you think the price swings are merely a result of executives and analysts shooting their mouths off?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:55 pm

the fluctuation's do not represent our current supply nor does it represent the findings of new fields or production of oil.

edit: basically, we're in a shortage market with no actual shortage.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:56 pm

I heard $150 barrel by July 4th, this is deffenatley due to executives and analysts shooting their mouths off?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:59 pm

spudnik wrote:
I heard $150 barrel by July 4th, this is deffenatley due to executives and analysts shooting their mouths off?

that and the loud liberal voices who are shouting about peak oil and yet they refuse to account for new fields found and that we haven't stopped finding new oil sites.

and the liberals don't care if it's really peak oil or not because it's payment for the liberal sin of using gasoline in this global warming age of man. :roll:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:00 pm

It's supply and demand.

The oil companies are in the business to make money. Period. Their motive is not to support the U.S. economy or to make life easier for American citizens.
They're going to charge as much as the possibly can until people - that's people all over the world, not just in the U.S- start using less oil.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:08 pm

skafather84 wrote:
spudnik wrote:

that and the loud liberal voices who are shouting about peak oil and yet they refuse to account for new fields found and that we haven't stopped finding new oil sites.

Sure, new reserves are being discovered and developed. But is it anywhere near to what is being used? I'm not sure that it is.

Also, there are a lot conservative, libertarian and bunker-mentality types that are talking about peak oil. And geologists - the same guy that accurately predicted the US hitting peak a few decades ago predicted the world would hit peak oil about now.

skafather84 wrote:
[
and the liberals don't care if it's really peak oil or not because it's payment for the liberal sin of using gasoline in this global warming age of man. :roll:

There's a red herring. While some liberals believe that a carbon tax would be a good way to reduce consumption, they are in a minority and a hefty additional gas tax is not in the political cards. Liberals have done nothing to cause the price run-up - look to OPEC, China/India, Oil companies, speculators, and the dropping dollar.

Last edited by monty on 06 Jun 2008, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:11 pm

http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

published in 2004.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:16 pm

skafather84 wrote:
spudnik wrote:

don't give me the liberal BS, everyone has to pay these outrageous prices, I live in the very conservative province of Alberta, where you guys in the States are getting your oil and gas from right now, and even the die hard conservatives here are complaining about the f@&ing prices, its $1.29 per liter here in oil country, thats almost $5.00 per US gallon, as far as I am concerned its the god damned oil executives, which by seem to own what ever government is in power

Last edited by spudnik on 06 Jun 2008, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:20 pm

monty wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

There's a red herring. While some liberals believe that a carbon tax would be a good way to reduce consumption, they are in a minority and a hefty additional gas tax is not in the political cards. Liberals have done nothing to cause the price run-up - look to OPEC, China/India, Oil companies, speculators, and the dropping dollar.

well, with that i more meant that it's a very masochistic "i deserve this" sort of thing with them and they refuse to address the issue because many of them see it either as penance or as a means to force people into their viewpoint that people shouldn't drive cars and should walk more or ride bicycles.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:44 pm

skafather84 wrote:
well, with that i more meant that it's a very masochistic "i deserve this" sort of thing with them and they refuse to address the issue because many of them see it either as penance or as a means to force people into their viewpoint that people shouldn't drive cars and should walk more or ride bicycles.

Your absolutely right, people are being gas hogs and should really be trying to be conserving by not driving and using bike or taking the bus to work, I still see alot of Hummers filling up in this city, but that always some Oil Executive driving the 3 blocks to go shopping or to go to work. These high prices are getting to be to much for the little person who can barely afford the roof over their head, its either gas for the car to get to work, or taking the bus or bike to work and having a roof over your head and having food on the table, its going to come to cars being outlawed in downtown cores and only public transport.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:54 pm

spudnik wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Your absolutely right, people are being gas hogs and should really be trying to be conserving by not driving and using bike or taking the bus to work, I still see alot of Hummers filling up in this city, but that always some Oil Executive driving the 3 blocks to go shopping or to go to work. These high prices are getting to be to much for the little person who can barely afford the roof over their head, its either gas for the car to get to work, or taking the bus or bike to work and having a roof over your head and having food on the table, its going to come to cars being outlawed in downtown cores and only public transport.

you totally just lived up to what i'm saying. i'm opposing that viewpoint and am insisting it's price fixing and not a resource that is running low.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:09 pm

I think it's the same scenario with the stock market, mainly because a certain ex-Fed chairman with the initials A.G. is one of the biggest attention wh***s in the world.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

monty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:10 pm

skafather84 wrote:

you totally just lived up to what i'm saying. i'm opposing that viewpoint and am insisting it's price fixing and not a resource that is running low.

Yeah, and one of my grandmothers was Scottish and had a thing about wasting food. When the price of food goes up it is unfortunate and a hardship for many. And people like my grandmother will cluck and sermonize about not being wasteful. What else can people like that do? They aren't to blame for market fluctuations, and there is nothing wrong with their perspective that being thrifty is a virtue.

Do you think that the 'price fixing' is an illegal conspiracy, or is it an unavoidable consequence of the market?

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:28 pm

I feel gas should be taxed individually based on the vehicle.

Progressive taxation, yall.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:35 pm

oscuria wrote:
I feel gas should be taxed individually based on the vehicle.

Progressive taxation, yall.
There should be especially for the larger luxury cars and trucks, there is no reason for people driving a massive 4x4 like a Hummer, its a total waste of fuel let them pay more for their consumption

monty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:38 pm

skafather84 wrote:
edit: basically, we're in a shortage market with no actual shortage.

Do you think there are any parallels to the real estate market? For years, house prices kept going up, and people kept assuming that prices would always keep going up. So they were willing to pay more on the assumption that a $200K house was overpriced if looking backward a few years when it was $100K, but since it would soon be worth $300, it was really a bargain (increased demand & price). Then everything changed, and people were quite reluctant to buy a house due to declining prices, which further depressed demand and prices. These type of 'herd stampedes' seem to be a common features of free markets, no? Some have suggested that the commodities market may be functioning along these lines with oil.

Also, if people adopt the attitude that they shouldn't drive so much, then gasoline consumption will decline, which has a beneficial effect on prices?