What sounds can you hear that others can't?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chadk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2008, 1:28 pm

I seem to hear things others doesn't.

Things like television(Not flat screens) have this very distinct sound. It's a very high tone, but very subtle.
Electrical things in general. I can tell the difference between if electricity is on or off in the house.

Do anybody have it like this?

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:31 pm

Yeah, I hear a voice telling me to burn things *all the time*...

Sunfell
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2008, 1:42 pm

I can hear:

CRT flyback transformers
Flourescent light ballast
Those new CFL lights have a whistling sound
That stupid 'teen buzz' ringtone
Motion detector ultrasonics
Dog whistles

I tell people that I have 'dog-whistle' ears. And I am at an age where I should not be able to hear it. A colleague had that "Teen Buzz" ringtone and was going around ragging everyone for not hearing it, and decided to see if I could. It made me leap out of my seat. I told him not to do that again. He went down the hall and did it in the neighboring office, and I hollered, "I said, stop it!"

I don't know why I am so sensitive to high-pitched noises, but I've been this way all my life. My sensitivity to them is why I cannot have dogs, parrots (or parrokeets), or small children around- I'd have to wear earplugs all the time. I cannot stand noisy large cities, either.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:44 pm

Chadk wrote:
I seem to hear things others doesn't.

Things like television(Not flat screens) have this very distinct sound. It's a very high tone, but very subtle.
Electrical things in general. I can tell the difference between if electricity is on or off in the house.

Do anybody have it like this?

The old vacuum-tube televisions were even noisier than the later circuit board types. I once mentioned in a roomful of friends the noise those TVs made (a tiny ultra high pitched squeal), that you could hear throughout the house, even when the sound was turned all the way down, and all but one of them (who was an electronics buff) looked at me as though I'd suddenly started speaking Chinese. He told me was made that sound, an RF exciter or something, but he was the only one of four who knew what I meant, and I strongly suspect he's on the spectrum himself.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:45 pm

Does any else hear 'holes in sound' for lack of a better description? I'll know someone is coming far before they arrive because of the ripple in sound that their presence creates. It's not an absolute ability - requires some distant background noise to work well - but it is something I experience on a semi-frequent basis.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2008, 1:47 pm

violentcloud wrote:
Yeah, I hear a voice telling me to burn things *all the time*...

Schizophrenia. :D

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 1:49 pm

As a kid I used to hear the high pitch whistle of the tube in my parents TV set from outside the house. They never believed me though. Fluorescent tubes have always irritated me more than others, but the pitch from them is lower than TV sets.

The hight pitch noise is less obvious now I'm older and I've got some tinnitus . The range decreases with age anyway. However last Summer I was surprised when I commented to a friend the same age as me how loud the crickets were chirping - to me they were really loud but he could not even hear them.

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2008, 1:52 pm

Yeah I can hear when TVs are on but with no sound playing. I've also noticed that the blue screen and the black screen have different sounds. And sometimes when the TV has a show on and the scene changes and most of the colors change, the sound changes too.

As I've said before, I can hear heavy mist falling in trees outside. I can hear people breathing. Sometimes I can hear people in my family wake up, even if they haven't moved yet. I can hear worms and insects moving around in the grass. And the sound of water soaking into the soil.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 2:06 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I commented to a friend the same age as me how loud the crickets were chirping - to me they were really loud but he could not even hear them.

Wow, I can't imagine that. The wall of sound that crickets make is deafening! But it's not irritating in the way that electronic devices can be. More like the curtain of white noise that steady rain makes. But sitting outside in the country at night, that rhythmic ree-ree-ree-ree sound of thousands of crickets really gets inside my head and almost makes me dizzy.

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2008, 2:14 pm

I can sometimes hear what people are saying when the TV is muted O.o

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2008, 2:14 pm

I can hear the electronic whines - the noises that TVs and computers and so forth make. I also hear electrical things like battery chargers - I have to unplug the AA battery charger in one room in order to do anything there (read,etc.). I hear high-pitched beeps and squeals that apparently others cannot - machines in our lab, people's phones and other devices, and even an LED light that blinks on and off on one particular cordless phone. Fluorescent lights are awfully noisy, and the new CFLs are much less so, but still do a thin, high buzz (to me). And yes - I can hear the sound when it's at zero on the TV or the radio.
I once told my doctor that she needed to replace one of her fluorescent lights because it was sounding different than usual, and different than the others. I managed to pick out roughly which one it was, and then it later started to emit dimmer, different-colored light, so I guess I could hear that coming.

Micze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2008, 2:26 pm

Noise from electronics and machinery.

rekoil
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2008, 2:48 pm

I got strange looks all the time growing up when I'd tell someone to turn their TV off and they didn't know it was on. I work with electronic test equipment, and sometimes I can hear when something is about to fail.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2008, 2:50 pm

Peoples phones on vibrate from rooms away
TVs in other houses
That buzz that electricity makes that is always present.
People whispering from ages away.
Electrical machines on standby.
Any noise that shouldn't be anywhere in the house.
Some lights
Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2008, 5:16 pm

My gamecube I can hear reading the disk, not when it goes to another scene or anything, but when it's simply...reading it...seems to have a low buzz to it...I also notice the sound it makes when it's reading the disk properly...seems to emit a BEEEEEEEEP...

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:09 pm

I can hear lots of high-pitched tones, the most common being electrical sounds. Also, my hearing tends to pick out repetitive noises, the sort of things that somebody else might ignore totally, but drive me absolutely nuts: dripping taps, clicking of radiators, a co-worker's feet repeatedly brushing against a waste sack during a team meeting. Nobody else seems to care, but I can't help noticing them :(