What sounds can you hear that others can't?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:09 pm

I can hear lots of high-pitched tones, the most common being electrical sounds. Also, my hearing tends to pick out repetitive noises, the sort of things that somebody else might ignore totally, but drive me absolutely nuts: dripping taps, clicking of radiators, a co-worker's feet repeatedly brushing against a waste sack during a team meeting. Nobody else seems to care, but I can't help noticing them :(

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:05 pm

Sunfell wrote:
I can hear:

CRT flyback transformers
Flourescent light ballast
Those new CFL lights have a whistling sound
That stupid 'teen buzz' ringtone
Motion detector ultrasonics
Dog whistles

I tell people that I have 'dog-whistle' ears. And I am at an age where I should not be able to hear it. A colleague had that "Teen Buzz" ringtone and was going around ragging everyone for not hearing it, and decided to see if I could. It made me leap out of my seat. I told him not to do that again. He went down the hall and did it in the neighboring office, and I hollered, "I said, stop it!"

I don't know why I am so sensitive to high-pitched noises, but I've been this way all my life. My sensitivity to them is why I cannot have dogs, parrots (or parrokeets), or small children around- I'd have to wear earplugs all the time. I cannot stand noisy large cities, either.

WOW, I used to be bothered by ALL that! I bought a "silent dog whistle" a few months ago, and couldn't get it to be silent AT ALL! I THOUGHT about blowing it to see if others could hear, but I thought it was too noisy. I am going to look up that teen buzz sound!

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:08 pm

I hear lots of things that people aren't supposed to hear :? dunno why but some people I know hear the buzz of halogen lights and it hurts them and the subtle blinking... but I'm more on the taste and smell area myself

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:09 pm

At work it's quite loud, between the air conditioner, the florescent lights, the computers. They turned the power off last week and the silence was amazing.

treeheart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2008, 7:25 pm

i can hear the wine of a TV when i get close to it...it drives me nuts when i get close to the wall of tvs in a store.
also when the sound is on mute i can still hear the sound.

i can pick out my dad's voice in a noisy crowd and i can hear him across the room.

also...i have a trouble tuning out thigns so often i can focus on 2 things at the same time...
like the TV and my homework and the people talking about me.