Aspergers and Perfect (or absolute) Pitch

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 12:51 pm

I can remember I was a very good singer in elementary school, I got critizised for it by the teacher, as for you, i could listen to your voice all day :D

Silverweed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2009, 5:43 pm

Funny thing about pitch. As a little girl I could barely pick up a tune. It wasn't because I had bad ears---it's just that my sense of pitch didn't develop as quickly as other kids. At the time, it seemed impossible that I could ever be a musician.

Well, I've got a great ear now. But for me, it took a lot of ear training. I'm a singer and I can pull most notes out of thin air, but that has more to do with practice---where I feel certain notes in my voice and where I hear them in other people's voices.

Last edited by Silverweed on 09 Nov 2009, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2009, 5:44 pm

I only know three people with absolute pitch and none of them are AS.

anasthasia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2009, 7:11 pm

I have perfect pitch, I learn to play cello and violin, but I can play synthesizer, djembe, block flute and few other too, but not that good as the first two.
And of course I am one of those who have perfect pitch and AS:
I can say I am not very good at relative pitch, it's easier for me to guess the tone itself than in relation to another one.
And yes, certain sounds go on my nerves.

My anecdote about perfect pitch:
When I was tested if I have good ear enough to play the violin, they at first didn't want to accept me either, because I was too old (I had 13). Then, OK, they agreed.
I done everything just perfect, they told me.
And what is the most funny, when teacher played two melodies on the piano and asked me if they were the same, I told her she only changed F and F# note. She laughed. :D

I actually wrote an answer in WP:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2464492.html#2464492

Would be thankful if you'd answer my questions about perfect pitch in this answer :)

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 7:03 am

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
I have relative pitch. It seems to be more common even among trained musicians than absolute pitch. My sense of intonation is very good- I can pick out the slightest discrepancy between intervals, which made tuning by ear easy and singing or playing in a group so the chord was perfectly tuned to itself easy as well.

A majority of concert pianists have perfect pitch.