Does anyone know of any fictional characters with AS?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 8:22 pm

CraftyAJ----the programmer from 24 is Chloe. I never thought about it, but maybe she is. I love that show and love her character!

CraftyAJ
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2010, 8:38 pm

angelbear wrote:
CraftyAJ----the programmer from 24 is Chloe. I never thought about it, but maybe she is. I love that show and love her character!

That's it! I think she's awesome.... and I'm horribly addicted to the show.

what got me thinking was that on the last episode the manager said "we hired you because you don't think like anybody else... so I guess we should give you a chance."

Just her sincerity and non-emotional way of tackling emotions.

-------------------

Oh, another thought.... how about Spencer on Criminal Minds?

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 9:05 pm

24 is the one show that my husband and I will sit and watch together.

I always say that Chloe's face reminds me of a cartoon character. I don't know why? I guess she always has that serious look on her face and doesn't smile that much.

I loved it last night when she pulled the gun on the guy because he wouldn't let her do the programming the way she wanted to. That was classic!! !!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 9:08 pm

AnAutisticMind wrote:
sigh, i guess anyone we want to be is aspergers

ASPERGERS IS DEBILITATING GOD DAMMIT!! !

It depends on who is listed.

Those I listed are disabled in the ways an ASD is defined, whether they care about that or not.

For example, Ronald is in jail due to his obsession with fire (lacks empathy for people; doesn't care if they are caught up in the fire); speaks in third person often, uses a strange dialect compared to his peers, is brutally honest, socially isolated, detailed orientated, and finds a unique way to solve a problem.

KJC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2010, 9:32 pm

What about Ephram or Andy Brown from Everwood?

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 11:26 pm

I count four from "The Office": Michael, Dwight, and Erin, all representing different stereotypes.

Michael is kind of the oblivious aspie who is unaware of how annoying he can be.
Dwight is like the self-aware aspie who has no desire to change himself, believing himself to be superior to everyone, including his own boss at times.
Erin is the self-aware aspie who tries hard not to annoy people, and is eager to please. There's also a side to her that makes characters want to sort of take her under her wing(Kelly, Angela, Andy).
I'm also inclined to believe Andy is one, due to his obsession with acapella singing(and music in general), anger problems, and the fact that he accidentally ended up dating a high school girl even though he's in his 30's.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 12:48 am

The one kid on parenthood

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 9:13 am

spacecadetdave wrote:
All the Brits posting here will be aware of a sitcom called "The IT Crowd" about three I.T. workers. If you haven't seen it then see if you can view it online (google "The IT Crowd Channel4 4OD" - it may be available to stream from outside the UK).

There are three characters.

One is NT. One is Aspergers. One is well into the Autistic side.

It's very, very funny, but sometimes I think that behind the humour it's like a surreal documentary of my life.

As long as the producers haven't said otherwise they are all NTs, but Moss does act quite aspie-ish. I see me and my friends in those 4 characters, I'm Jen, my closest friend is Moss and my other friend is Roy and my old friend is richmond. And the episode when they have that dinner party is just how I imagine if I invited my friends over for a dinner party. That is why I find that programme so funny.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 2:40 pm

AnAutisticMind wrote:
sigh, i guess anyone we want to be is aspergers

ASPERGERS IS DEBILITATING GOD DAMMIT!! !

not for me

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 3:05 pm

I take a pretty rigid view on this sort of thing. So people like Christopher John Francis Boone (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time), Adam Raki (Adam), Donald Morton and Isabelle Sorenson (Mozart and the Whale) are the only people that I would definitively list.

One of the important things, in my view, is that having an Autism Spectrum Disorder is not the same thing as merely presenting Aspie traits. For a condition to qualify as a disorder, it must have a clinically significant impact.

Within that context, a character like Gregory House (House, M.D.) is a borderline case. Clearly there are clinically signficant issues, but the question is open as to what is causing his presentation. I'm not sold on the autism spectrum.

It is possible to list dozens, if not hundreds of characters who present some trait or another. But to qualify as an Aspie, one must be more than merely quirky.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 3:09 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I take a pretty rigid view on this sort of thing. So people like Christopher John Francis Boone (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time), Adam Raki (Adam), Donald Morton and Isabelle Sorenson (Mozart and the Whale) are the only people that I would definitively list.

One of the important things, in my view, is that having an Autism Spectrum Disorder is not the same thing as merely presenting Aspie traits. For a condition to qualify as a disorder, it must have a clinically significant impact.

Within that context, a character like Gregory House (House, M.D.) is a borderline case. Clearly there are clinically signficant issues, but the question is open as to what is causing his presentation. I'm not sold on the autism spectrum.

It is possible to list dozens, if not hundreds of characters who present some trait or another. But to qualify as an Aspie, one must be more than merely quirky.

FTW

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 3:21 pm

visagrunt wrote:

AMEN!! !

This is what I've been saying.

spacecadetdave
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2010, 5:59 pm

MONKEY wrote:
spacecadetdave wrote:
All the Brits posting here will be aware of a sitcom called "The IT Crowd" about three I.T. workers. If you haven't seen it then see if you can view it online (google "The IT Crowd Channel4 4OD" - it may be available to stream from outside the UK).

There are three characters.

One is NT. One is Aspergers. One is well into the Autistic side.

It's very, very funny, but sometimes I think that behind the humour it's like a surreal documentary of my life.

As long as the producers haven't said otherwise they are all NTs, but Moss does act quite aspie-ish. I see me and my friends in those 4 characters, I'm Jen, my closest friend is Moss and my other friend is Roy and my old friend is richmond. And the episode when they have that dinner party is just how I imagine if I invited my friends over for a dinner party. That is why I find that programme so funny.

I still can;t watch it without thinking that the writer has a webcam in my office.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 7:09 pm

Personally, I think Moss is the aspie, while Roy has ADHD. Jen is NT, but rather neurotic in general.
Can't wait for season four!

"I've got a flipping gun! I've got a mother-flipping gun!!"

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 1:30 pm

I'm reading a book called The Family Man by Elinor Lipman, and a character is described as "Socially awkward--even Aspergian." It's a minor character and I'm not sure if she really intended him to have Aspergers or not.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 2:05 pm

FireMinstrel wrote:
Personally, I think Moss is the aspie, while Roy has ADHD. Jen is NT, but rather neurotic in general.

Bingo. Can you psychoanalyse the characters from Black Books and Father Ted now please :-)