Do you have a hard time translating thoughts into words?



Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page:

FrogGirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 770
Location: Lost wherever I am

Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:20 pm

My description would be: a nilon material in the shape of a circle(or rectangle), that has cords attached to it and slows a person down after they jump from a fixed object at a high altitude..( people also use parachutes to do base jumping( which is jumping from a fixed object(bridge or land), not just airplanes. ; or it is used to catch the air and gain lift in the sport of parasailing. Then there can be the definintion of it being a big multicolored round pieces of nylon material that is used with small groups of children to toss balls around, and run under.

When I think of an object, I get a visual picture, and i ususally describe its physical features. then I describe all of the possible uses for it, whether it be its intended conventional purpose, or other use.

for me, i never really know what the correct answer is, that the person is expecting from me. ( there is no such thing as a question that you can answer only yes or no to, and there is always more than one answer to any one question). Thats how I see it.



elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 1555
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:39 pm

I have trouble translating thoughts into words. I like that you used the word "translating", too, because sometimes that's what needs to happens. The thoughts are there, but in a non-word form.

It's not that I'm bad with words; in fact I think I'm quite good with words, especially in writing. But there are many things that I'd like to communicate, which I cannot put into words, because my experience of them is not word-based. When I try to translate certain hard-to-translate thoughts into words, I often feel like I'm exposing some strange, intimate part of myself.

Example: Sometimes I'll see a movie or read a book, and it really touches me in some way, and I want to share it with someone else. But the more I try to explain it, the more I realize that I can't. I have to resort to imagery and metaphors that will come across as hokey to certain people. Some people are good conversation partners for that kind of thing, and some are not.

I have a reasonably good vocabulary, but not good enough to say much of what I want to say. I often doubt my word choices. Also, sometimes the meaningful part of an experience or an idea is not something that can be described with words. I don't know. It's like you can eat a peach, but you can't peach an eat.

As an aside, I was just reading the script of a Samuel Beckett play called "Play", and I have this very strong feeling that that play is relevant to this topic. I can feel how it is relevant, but I can't put it into words. The characters themselves (who are dead people), do a lot of talking to themselves, but seem to have trouble grasping their thoughts and "translating" them into words. That's how I feel very often.



Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: 47°36'N 122°20'W

Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Me too: above average written communication skills but pretty bad verbal skills.

I can get by discussing whatever mindless drivel is being discussed in a group. (So-and-so is back in rehab? NO???! !! ! :roll: )

I'm also okay at re-telling stories I've heard, or books I've read, or conveying an earlier event. It isn't easy but I can make it convincing enough.

But I can't for the life of me explain my thoughts or my feelings, or even explain something technical or scientific. It is all in pictures... nay in HD video up there in my head. How can I translate that to words? It'd be like watching an IMAX movie on a little 12" black and white TV.



mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 2340

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:29 am

Yes.

I am a mostly visual/abstract thinker, so when I have to describe something, I have to make a "translation" from visual/abstract to verbal.


_________________
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time' (Breaking Benjamin)


Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 733

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Mikomi wrote:
YES. I have a terrible time putting thoughts into words. Writing helps.


Same here. Writing/typing gives you more time to think (less pressure), it helps me too. I hate when this happens as it makes you feel like an idiot.



Dragonfly_Dreams
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 598

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:46 pm

It depends if I know the word and am describing it, which I do well at.. or if I know the word but can't think of it and am trying to explain something without the word.. then I talk around what I'm trying to say and it comes out very poorly.

"Can you put the bread in the thingy? Um.. the thing with the holes, the thing that toasts the bread?" (yes I know after wards that I used the word TOASTER almost right in the sentence, but still I can't think of the word. :oops: ) happens all the time.



Barblen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 18

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:36 am

I am terrible at this, if if it is verbal I stammer and jumble everything up completely, if it is written then I'm somewhat better but I still have trouble creating sentences that flow together properly.
If someone asks me a question it can take me a few days to create a full and appropriate canned response in my head that I could reply with, but then of course it is too late.

Weirdly enough, when I am drunk, I can be articulate and have proper conversations.



rathernotsay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 138

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:30 am

Me too.

I find I say " I was just telling so and so about..." because it's easier to have a conversation with prescripted stuff than to find words all the time.



Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Pécs

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 am

Barblen wrote:
I am terrible at this, if if it is verbal I stammer and jumble everything up completely, if it is written then I'm somewhat better but I still have trouble creating sentences that flow together properly.
If someone asks me a question it can take me a few days to create a full and appropriate canned response in my head that I could reply with, but then of course it is too late.

Weirdly enough, when I am drunk, I can be articulate and have proper conversations.


That's exactly how it is for me too!



ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 16911

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Mw99 Yes, I do for there are times when I can see what I want to say in my mind like words on a page but, often when I go to say it in a verbal manner it gets all screwed up and winds up as, if I was stuttering or having some major speech problem as such.
Sometimes, even when I'm online does this become quite apparent when I go to make my posts there are times I have what I wish to say in the center of my mind but, somwhere it gets lost and seemingly can't be able to put things together to sound coherent and make a post that tends to be rational or intelligent..Thanks for your post very much as, it helps me to realise such thing are not just isolated to me alone.. :)



Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1316
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:34 pm

I have that problem all the time



GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 529

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Yes, I have this problem often enough.



camilleisnt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 1

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 am

elderwanda wrote:
I have trouble translating thoughts into words. I like that you used the word "translating", too, because sometimes that's what needs to happens. The thoughts are there, but in a non-word form.

It's not that I'm bad with words; in fact I think I'm quite good with words, especially in writing. But there are many things that I'd like to communicate, which I cannot put into words, because my experience of them is not word-based. When I try to translate certain hard-to-translate thoughts into words, I often feel like I'm exposing some strange, intimate part of myself.

Example: Sometimes I'll see a movie or read a book, and it really touches me in some way, and I want to share it with someone else. But the more I try to explain it, the more I realize that I can't. I have to resort to imagery and metaphors that will come across as hokey to certain people. Some people are good conversation partners for that kind of thing, and some are not.

I have a reasonably good vocabulary, but not good enough to say much of what I want to say. I often doubt my word choices. Also, sometimes the meaningful part of an experience or an idea is not something that can be described with words. I don't know. It's like you can eat a peach, but you can't peach an eat.

As an aside, I was just reading the script of a Samuel Beckett play called "Play", and I have this very strong feeling that that play is relevant to this topic. I can feel how it is relevant, but I can't put it into words. The characters themselves (who are dead people), do a lot of talking to themselves, but seem to have trouble grasping their thoughts and "translating" them into words. That's how I feel very often.



I googled "why can't I put my thoughts into words?", clicked this link first and was familiar with a lot of what I read (especially elderwanda), then I noticed it was an asperger's/autism forum. i've always told my family I had asperger's, but i'm not sure if they believe me...I'm convinced of it. it makes me feel better.

i always feel like I'm creating novels and great writings in my head, but when I pull out a pen and paper I'm lost. right now i'm unsure if i should post this because i can't or believe I can't accurately portray what's in my mind.

however, "wrong planet" accurately portrays how I've always felt. I'm glad i found it.



Luci
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 663
Location: Another world.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:47 am

I can relate with many in here...but the funny thing is that my thoughts are actually quite verbal...It's odd. It's like the verbal part of my thoughts stops working when I start speaking.

Dragonfly_Dreams wrote:
"Can you put the bread in the thingy? Um.. the thing with the holes, the thing that toasts the bread?" (yes I know after wards that I used the word TOASTER almost right in the sentence, but still I can't think of the word. :oops: ) happens all the time.

Exactly how much of my speech comes out... :lol: I just forget words. Reminds me a bit of suddenly forgetting lyrics from a song I know very well (and have sung a million times before and remembered the words every time) when singing....happens too often to me.
There was actually some sort of test thing that I had to undertake with this therapist person in which one of the tasks was to define words. I mostly did worse than the OP did with the parachute, yet in the end the therapist said that I did better than average? I suppose the test was more about whether I understood the words then, rather than how well I could define them verbally.

Hodor wrote:
Seriously, I have exactly the same problem. Whenever I speak, I tend to repeat words, reword whole sentences, leave pauses in the middle of sentences and I use lots of fillers such as 'um' and 'err.' I think I have mild cluttering, but my main problem is that I cannot easily translate my (usually visual) thoughts into words. Writing or typing is much easier.


Can really relate. Though I'm not too good at writing or typing either - it is true to problems other than this one.

Edit: just noticed this is a very old topic.



Jory
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 pm
Posts: 8419
Location: Tornado Alley

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:03 pm

I’m a train wreck at this. I often tell people that only about 20% of what I intend to say gets through. It’s like there’s a filter between my brain and my mouth.



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page:




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: