Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:38 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I don't like when people I don't know well touch me, or when I'm touched while not beeing prepared for it. On the other hand, I don't mind beeing touched by family or friends when I'm prepared for it.

That's how I feel.

MintLemonade
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2008, 12:43 am

tomboy4good wrote:
It really depends on who is doing the touching & why. I hate when strangers touch me, especially when it's not expected without my permission! I am ok with handshakes, unless the other person is into crushing my hand! If it's someone I know & trust, I'm ok with being touched.

I'm the same way I freak when strangers touch me but if its someone I trust I don't have a problem with it. Like if a friend of mine rubs my back then its okay. But if a stranger taps me on the shoulder the touch feels ultra sensitive and I over react although I try not to show it.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 2:29 am

Yeah, I can't stand being touched - what's more, when people take that as a reason to touch me more, they think, that if I only experience it more, I'll grow to like it. Crap, why do people keep trying to fix me? I ain't broke, so don't! Don't touch means don't touch!

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:53 am

Keeno wrote:
yet people at church insist on doing it excessively

THIS IS TRUE.
Church can be a big pain bcause I do not like to be touched by people in general. I am like most of ya'all in that I like it with people I know and trust, but this random hugging that you are obligated to. And there is always the one person who thinks they are spreading the love of God by hugging everyone as if we are all bereft of love. God bless them, they mean well- and maybe other people like it, but I HATE IT-

Run into a bathroom to escape.

Another ways to handle the non-stop handshakes:
1. Have hands full all the time.
2. Carry around a book and act absorbed and uninterested when everyone else is up milling about shaking hands.
3. If you MUST- shake blandly with finger tips, no eye contact. The f-you handshake. It won't happen a second time!

The worst is when you want to be touched and you've been a virutal pit bull dog and the ones you love are now afraid to hug you :-(

Hard because we are not so black and white as to ALWAYS hate it, or ALWAYS want it- but therapists are always leading us to believe we have to be so black and white. NO EYE CONTACT-NO EMOTION. Well, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2008, 12:24 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
I don't like when people I don't know well touch me, or when I'm touched while not beeing prepared for it. On the other hand, I don't mind beeing touched by family or friends when I'm prepared for it.

me too, I really HATE being touched by strangers, but I am very tactile with friends or people I trust. & its extra hard becuz in puerto rico, our culture expects us to kiss people hello & goodbye, & its considered extremely impolite to no do so. I usually try to use a handshake becuz it feels less intimate, but most people see that as me being standoffish.

Linebeck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2008, 2:52 am

I don't mind handshakes but I don't like being touched and people at work touch me touchy softly to make me angry. I don't like greeting people with kisses and all that and I don't like hugs either. Except theres this one girl I really like, I wouldn't mind if she touched me.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 5:39 am

I need an area "of my own" about 2 meters in diameter. When somebody touches me I hardly keep myself from recoiling, but I feel anxious and some strange fear (OF WHAT?..). I shake hands easily, but try to take my hand away as soon as I can. It even depends on my mood, and sometimes it makes me uncomfortable even when my boyfriend touches me unexpected.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 5:07 pm

I don't mind being touched by people I know fairly well and I enjoy it from close friends or boyfriends, but I HATE to be touched by strangers or people I don't know well. I manage to tolerate handshakes.

After reading this thread, I think the following needs to be said:

It is never okay for someone to touch you in a way you don't like. Even if it's just a hand on the shoulder. You always have the right to tell someone not to touch you. If they give you grief for it, they're the one with the problem -- not you. If they continue to touch you after you've told them not to, or if they give you grief about it, they are harrassing you. You do not have to put up with harrassment. Go to whoever's in a position of authority in that situation and get help. If you're at work, talk to your boss or human resources. If you're in public and you can't get away from the harrasser, call the police. If you're a child talk to an adult. Nobody has to put up with abuse like I've seen in some of the posts on this thread. If you're too scared/upset to think straight, just remember one word: STOP!

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 5:12 pm

+1! :)

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2008, 5:31 pm

I hate being touched, especially light touch. It is physically preferable that someone hit my arm than to lightly touch it. I can manage hugs sometimes, but I have to know about it and be prepared.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 6:19 pm

GOOD GRIEF! hate it! I think it's my ADHD and sensory issues. "I like to go to church late so I don't have to do the stupid greeting that are so superficial and smile . the hand shakes don't bother me a as long as it's not light. I hate light touch and don't understand how people can like it! I am constantly telling my AS hubby to stop touching me lightly. He doesn't have that issue. he also doesn't mind going to church early to do the superficial smile crap. Go figure.

I really want a weighted vest for my 5 year old and me! That would be So Relaxing. In the meantime, I may try weights. Hummmm

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 6:55 pm

yup. i have it initiate it .... or they have to ask and wait.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 8:10 pm

psh, i hate people being within a foot of me if i dont know thm -.-;; makes me feel violated... i used to not even let my friends touch me, but i got over that soon after meeting one of my current friends, who was hug-happy :lol: give a great round of applause for katty katty kattermouse (thats just what i call her)