Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

trialanderror
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2008, 8:23 pm

I appreciate the feedback and I agree that I am going to have to bite the bullet and go foward.
Here are the two obstacles that I desperately need to overcome. If you have suggestions it would be fabulous!!

1. I am passionate about what life I want. The problem is that I live on full throttle all the time. I am into what I am doing and I am good at it. Unfortunately, the passion dies off occasionally (as it does for anyone). When it lessens, I find that I cannot even see the path anymore as if it dissappeared and I start searching for an alternative. When I finally find something, I realize it isn't what I want and I revive the passion I had for the real desire. I can't seem to maintain the road and wait it out, trudge along as it were, to wait for the passion to resurface (and I know it will). I don't even recognized that I did this until the whole cycle completes. I'm not sure if it an attention span thing or the inability to keep my eye on the ball for lack of something tangible. It isn't perfect all the time and there will always be something more to learn, but when these two things come up in particular, I find that I wander away. I hate not knowing all there is to know because then I think that I am not qualified. I know you need to grow all the time to be successful, but when I don't know something, it is as if I never knew anything.

2. I try and try to schedule myself. I am sooooooooo forgetful and I KNOW that I need to write things down and have alarms on my phone etc.. so that I can get to things on time. In owning your own business you have to be able to change things up as they come along. It is even more necessary for me if I am going to do this and continue to homeschool my kids. It can bedone, but the know-how eludes me. I find that I have not been able to successfully complete a week without forgetting at least 2 appointments. Today, as an example, the kids had something at the church. I had it on the massive calender in the kitchen as well as alarmed in my phone, but I forgot to go because when my alarm went off I stopped it and the kids distracted me by fighting. The alarm was set for 15 minutes before the event and I didn't realize that I missed it until a half hour before it ended. A 3 minute quarrel between a few kids killed the thing that we were waiting all week for. I forgot that easily. I am afraid that I will not be able to serve my customers in the way I need to. I know we can't be everything to everyone, but I also know that business is all about word of mouth. I can think of a few choice words that would fit if I forgot an appointment with a client! I need so many and constant visual reminders to get from point A to point B. Is there something else I can do? I feel hopelessly lost.

Thanks in advance and I really look foward to your responses.

Butterflair
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2008, 10:51 pm

It sounds like you need some "tools" to help you stay organized. If your a computer person and the job is on the computer then a program would be good. If not, then a good planner is needed and make sure you write everything down in it. Monthly, weekly, daily, get in the habit of checking it every day and through out the day. Mark things off as they get done. Good planners have a to do list, calenders, phone book section but be consistant.

Join the local Chamber of Commerce and get to know other business owners. A lot of success is who you know. People tend to refer others by word of mouth.

Use two alarms. One for the initial reminder and one for 10 mins later as a backup reminder.

Good luck. :)

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2008, 9:25 am

An aspi join a chamber of commerce?

Keep a folded sheet of paper in ur pocket of all neartime things to do. Don't be a slave to it though, practice recall from memory. I too have memory problems (and sometimes chronic indecision) - tho if its something I really enjoy then I'm red hot - no problem.

I'm great with strangers or occasional customers, its people have to see daily I struggle with. Suffered eight years in someone elses factory, had to get out - was severely depressed. No help from anyone. That was 25 years ago. I survive now on a three day week in my business and two days cash gardening.