Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 2:48 pm

Ishmael wrote:
I talk to myself - so it appears.
Most people with Aspergers lack an inner monologue.
Thinking aloud is the only way to really keep our train of thought. There's nothing wrong with it - indeed, not doing so could be quite detrimental.

That's a helpful way of putting it. Sometimes I lack words to adequately describe the experience.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2008, 2:53 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
I also talk to myself. As an only child, I rarely interacted with anyone else...so I would have dialogs with myself. My mom hated it. Now my daughter exhibits this behavior. Dunno if she'll outgrow it or not. Is it normal? to me, it's not a huge issue. Seems ok to me. I prefer to think of it as thinking out loud.

I did the same thing I am an only child too.

good
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2009, 10:20 pm

My boyfriend talks to himself too. He even laughs sometimes. It worries me because he not only does it when he's by himself but he also does it in public. He neve seen a doctor for that and he thinks it's normal. He says that when he was a kid, he used to do a lot of landscaping which was boring for him, so he would find himself something to think about and imagine suff that doesn't exist and interacts with it. He says that he can't control it. He does that a lot. Even if we are talking and we stop the conversation for less than a second he starts doing that. He said that he sees things that he went through during the day and they replay again like if they exist. I worries me. I don't know if he's crazy??! ! Anything else he does makes sense escept for that. We're planning on getting married and I'm afraid he loses his mind somewhere down the road. I can't even talk about it again with him because he seemed very unconfortable when i talked about it last time..

Please help..

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 10:23 pm

He sounds eccentric to me. If what he sees are memories from the day, I seriously doubt they are hallucinations.

However... if you aren't willing to stay married to somebody if they "go crazy", don't get married to them--In sickness and in health, remember?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2009, 12:35 am

ohhhh ack :o
i talk to myself tho especially when on the computer i always get yelled at.
you somehow get answers eh???

arcticmelody
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2009, 2:20 am

I talk to myself..sometimes I do do it in public, but quietly, and I always catch myself in time to stop before I start getting weird looks..

Also when I'm reading something, or trying to figure something out, sometimes I have to read aloud and 'hear' myself, to actually be able to processs the info/my thoughts...

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 3:16 am

oi8itall wrote:
My son has autism (ausburgers) and he talks to himself alot. It's extremely frustrating because I can't seem to find a way to break him of it unless I'm sitting with him at all times because that's the only time it seems he doesn't do it as much. He also makes comments like "your not a donut" or "your not a mustastashed twinkie" or other nonsense (I am not making this up, these are actual statements he makes to me !) The problem is I am a comedian myself, meaning I am the kind of father, husband and person that has a very strong sense of humor and I like to make my wife, her children and my own laugh and I need to know if this is self stem and if there is something I can do to stop him from talking "nonsense" and help him distinguish what is appropriate and what isn't.

I used to talk to myself a lot. I still do, but not as much as a kid. Now I just think out loud, before I would talk as though I was talking to somebody. Maybe I was acting out a scenario that was going through my mind.
In time your son will stop doing this, at least the nonsense words will stop.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

12 Apr 2009, 3:52 am

I don't talk to myself. And I do find it hard to keep track of my verbal thoughts. So I think non-verbally instead. If I have to think verbally I write the thoughts down, which helps me to keep a track of them.

But I don't talk. I like quiet. I like my face to be immovable.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 5:08 am

I talk to myself, but not as much as I used to. I make silly sound affects alot, like nearly all the time when I'm at home. When I was in primary school when I used to walk back home I'd have full blown conversations or tell a story to myself, quite loudly too.
I also talk to myself when I go shopping, like if I'm picking out some new jeans i ususally repeat the kind I want e.g. "I want black baggy jeans, where are the black baggy jeans" or "hm, maybe that one" etc, and it's funny because if I'm with a friend they usually answer like I'm talking to them but i'm not I'm actually talking to myself and they don't realise it.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 6:17 am

I often talk to myself when I am alone, in some ways it kinda helps me. If I am not happy about something it sometimes makes me mumble nonsense for some reason.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

sjamaan
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2009, 7:31 am

pensieve wrote:
I used to talk to myself a lot. I still do, but not as much as a kid. Now I just think out loud, before I would talk as though I was talking to somebody. Maybe I was acting out a scenario that was going through my mind.

Yeah, same story for me. I guess I got tired from getting funny looks from strangers while talking to myself in the street :)

NomadicAssassin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2009, 8:34 am

I talked to my self alot as a kid, it usually helped me get through things i thought i couldn't handle such as shots, first day of school, ect... I do it sometimes now, but its usually mathematical stuff, dont know why, but i do it often. As long as it's not offensive to others, i dont think it will cause him any harm to talk about odd things such as twinkie's, but then again im only 15 so i could be off :roll: :lol:

Albert Einstein

11krage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2009, 12:57 pm

I used to talk to myself a lot, I have a very busy mind so I felt I needed to to keep my thoughts in some kind of order, otherwise I'd forget what I'm supposed to be doing.

Now I only do it conciously when I lose something and need to remember where I put it or completely blank out in the middle of a task. Unconciously whenever I hear an unusual sentence structure or word I'll repeat it several times to break it down and figuire it out, I also do the same when I hear a unusual accent or pronounciation to analyse what makes it unusual. Also after a stressful incident like performing a very complicated communication task I'll walk away and for a several minutes afterwards whenever I get a little brain working time I'll repeat what was said several times needing to break down the conversation and process what I rarely get time to process during an actual conversation time limit. Occasionally I'll even try out new responses I could have made to analyse whether my performance was opptimal.

I think its quite normal for someone with the diagnosis. Just think of it like thinking out loud as others had said or exploring the language which is going to be very valuable for him when he grows up.

http://the-quiet-ones.blogspot.com/

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2009, 1:31 pm

I have a big problemtalking to myself. Usually if I have bad memories that play in my head, I would just talk it out to put the situation that caused the memory in the way I wanted to end, not the way it did. I also talk out loud when i study and/or read things, because it is like I am sharing infomation with myself to remember them, even though I can learn and memorize things without the talking. I am trying to lower my voice when I do talk a loud. I am trying to get rid of talking to myself in public because I hate doing that as I do not like getting teased and have an issue with looking different in public, especially when i want to live a normal life and move out of the disability group home. I also want people to like me so I can have someone to talk to, and since I get along better with NT's, doing this can scare them away and I will be isloated again and end up being picked on. I hate being bullied, and have to be perfect on the outside. Since the only disabled people in my neighborhood are not ones an Aspie can befriend and their type of friendship is to hurt people, I would rather not be with them and unfortunately. that is the types of friends and people who would only like me and I already dealt with 7 years of abuse from an autistic housemate who has behavioral disorder and I do not want to endure that again.
So pretty much, I do talk to myself, but I am trying very hard to only do it in my bedroom when I am alone.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 4:53 pm

sgrannel wrote:
Jayman wrote:
BTW ausburgers?. Burgers made out of ass meat. Yuk! :o

Albert Fish does not agree!

http://www.nndb.com/people/467/000109140/

nice letter, good read.

edit:
oh yeah I talk to myself as well.

:::)

stros
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2009, 6:53 pm

Is this considered schizofrenia? Would medications that treat people with schizofrenia, zyprexa, help?