I can't stand the looks I get!! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lorraine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2008, 5:28 pm

Hi Mary,
I can completely relate to your situation. I lived in NYC with my son until he was 4. A helium balloon tied to his stroller worked great. Audio integration therapy probably helped the most because he stopped covering his ears when he heard loud noises (lots of those in NYC). A sensory integration technique of pushing down on his shoulders had an almost instant calming affect. Still, I had people stop their cars on the street to tell me to spank my son at times when he was tantruming. Once, on a return from a lengthy and difficult hearing evaluation, my son was having a really rough time on the subway. Kicking, biting, knocked my earing out of my ear, screaming, etc. I held him and spoke softly in his ear for what seemed like hours. The entire subway car full of people had ganged up and were telling me to hit my son. It was one of the hardest times in my life, and I was in no position to respond to what those people were thinking or saying. The comments I received leaving the train car were even worse, and I was exhausted and did start crying. When you have a child with a "blind disability", you have to love them twice as much for all the negative attention they get. In the end, I will never see those people on the subway again, but my son is my son for the rest of my life and I love him dearly. Your heart is already telling you the right thing to do!
Lorraine

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2008, 2:07 am

I don't have a kid but I do have a suggestion for you - maybe get him a kid's tape player and some headphones he can use? I admit that I have no concept of how big he is according to age or if this is appropriate for his age group, but it would help in times that he just can't handle the noises around him. I use my MP3 player for exactly that. Or, the hood idea might work as well.. anything to take the sharpness out of the noises. You can also use the music as a means for him to "ignore" what's around him.. give it to him during exams when he doesn't need to respond. That way he can focus on the music and hopefully not be so bothered by what's happening. Even if he's a little too young for this now, it might be a good idea later. Maybe make it something that can never be used at home, only when you're out, so there's no chance of him taking advantage of it and using it to ignore you?

ster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 6:38 am

the mp3 player idea might just work....he could control the level of noise he's takig in....