Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 8:58 pm

I have a tendancy to talk to myself, animals, and inanimate objects...which I guess is also just more talking to myself....but it's not like i am hearing voices or anything.

I do get alot of "Huhs?" to which I always respond that I was just talking to myself...I have never really thought anything of it...

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2008, 9:30 pm

talk to myself all the time and don't notice it, but usually I'm just trying to remember a lot of stuff at once, and no one ever talks back to me.
When someone at work asks me if I'm talking to myself I tell them "Yes, I'm the only one here who understands me."

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Jael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2008, 9:34 pm

I talk to myself all the time...silently sometimes, out loud sometimes. When people come into my office at work, they often tease me by saying "talking to yourself again?" :lol: and I just say "Yeah". No biggie.

The really funny thing is when I lecture myself about something...like something I need to change or some mistake I made. It's crazy because 1/2 of me is talking and 1/2 of me is listening. :?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 9:39 pm

Sometimes I walk around repeating the same phrases over and over again. Often they are negative phrases...like...bad bad bad...stupid stupid stupid....pain pain pain...or the horror.........or just nonsense phrases...I have sort of vocal stims that I repeat out loud....when I am not talking to myself, animals and inanimate objects...that is....

michel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 9:48 pm

I talk to myself when I'm rehearsing what I'm going to say to someone or if I'm pretending I'm having a conversation with someone who pissed me off. When I get caught I usually laugh it off and say "See? I told you I was nuts! Next stop is the loony bin!"

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 10:09 pm

Once upon a time a long time ago, the boss of a guy I was dating told him to watch out for me because he had spotted me talking to myself at a bus stop.

I was not talking to myself though...I was singing..i am pretty sure....

Thornheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2008, 11:14 pm

I used to. I would tell random stories and fanfiction that I made up to myself. And sometimes it was just talking to myself. I didn't think people thought I was crazy until my mom told me it was weird and then I was more discreet. I've grown out of it now but I sometimes say something out loud if I think it's funny. And I read the stuff going on in my video games aloud. I like doing all the voices. ^_^;;;

wifferjbiffer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2008, 11:52 pm

I probably talk to myself everyday. I especially like to talk myself in the bathroom when I'm looking in the mirror. I don't know why I do it. I pretty much have full conversations with myself. One speaker is in my head and the other is my mouth. So, I like to disagree or agree with myself. It's like talking to another person. I get so use to it that I have called myself "we" countless times. I personally think that I'm talking to a spirit or a guardian angel who watches over me. Of course, I've never seen him or her, I just talk to him/her or to myself. Just last week, someone at work asked me who I was talking to. I said myself. I don't care if anyone notices. I pretty much talk to myself when I'm alone. It would be really weird if I did it around people. They'd think I was crazy or something.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:49 am

I've talked to myself ever since I could talk. It's a great way to keep away boredom. For the Aspie, it's also a great way to ramble about "special interests" when nobody else is around to listen. :lol:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2008, 5:31 pm

michel wrote:
I talk to myself when I'm rehearsing what I'm going to say to someone or if I'm pretending I'm having a conversation with someone who pissed me off. When I get caught I usually laugh it off and say "See? I told you I was nuts! Next stop is the loony bin!"

I daily talk to myself, thinking what I should tell someone, and even get answers for him... so when I meet the real person I have nothing to say.

Sometimes I keep repeating part of phrases in my mind and I don't even know how I got those words. Very annoying.

My wife talks to herself too, she even gesticulates, and disagrees... loudly!

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2008, 6:48 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
My son talks to himself, especially when he's playing video or computer games. He used to have to read out loud -- couldn't read quietly in his head.

My question is --

Why DO you talk to yourselves? What need does it fill?

Kris

(NT people do this as well, but not so often)

I dont know WHY I do. But I can remember learning very young to keep my conversation internalized, but I even told myself stories with different voices, etc. I still do it, but now it helps me analize situations & helps me decide what (re)action is appropriate to the context of a situation.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 6:52 pm

I always try to watch myself, because I am concerned about making good impressions on people or potential employers.

At home, I can make a very good internal dialogue.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

alba
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 3:08 pm

You guys and your posts on this are hilarious. It's a real issue for me, not easy to laugh at myself. But your posts definitely made me laugh.

I talk to myself a lot. Talking to myself is like stimming. It's spontaneous and usually uncontrolable. I'd be happier if I could stop doing it altogether. It's like a bad habit. Sometimes I get angry with myself and yell out - You're an idiot. A previous post about that, yeah I do it too.

Most of the time I can simulate NT. But when I have an urge to talk to myself I have to get away. It can happen any time, any place. Being much like a biological function, I just look for a bathroom when the urge strikes. Then later in the bathroom I think of a way to escape so I can be alone.