Why Can't I do anything right/glasses

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 2:44 am

Why can't I do anything right?! !! My mom promised me we could go to get my slasses today, and I really need them for school. but now she's yelling at me because she didn't want to go to lenscrafters (even though they are really quick) she says she never promised anything and she didn't want to go there and any time I try to say anything she yells at me. she doesn't seem to get that i can't see right and it's affecting my schoolwork so I needed to get them right away. i didn't want to wait a week to three weeks! and since they made extra adjustments to the glasses becuase they were slipping off the glasses now don't fit in the case. she's yelling and screaming at me and I feel like I can't do anything Right!

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 3:51 am

Ugh! Sometimes, I think there's some law of nature that aspies have to have difficult parents. Your mother sounds like mine and the trippin' part was she wasn't like that with my NT siblings, just me. I've since grown up and reflecting on my youth, I believe the reason my mother treated me the way she did was, well......because she could.

If she did the same thing with my NT siblings, they would defend themselves but with me, I didn't have the proper communication skills to refute her attacks and she knew that. What I'm saying is if your mother insists on treating you with such disrespect, you don't have to take it. I don't mean getting smart with her as that won't do you any good.

If she gets irrational, and we all do sometimes, not just parents, walk away and politely notify her you won't discuss the matter any futher until she calms down so you can resolve the issue peacefully. I know she's your mother but it's wrong for her to take out her frustrations on you and you need someone to be the adult and act in a mature manner.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2005, 8:22 am

its nobody's fault. my mom does the same thing about blaming me but the truth is she's the one causing her own stress.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 8:22 am

It sounds as if your mom is having problems dealing with your condition, only she's taking it a step further; everytime she hears any sort of complaint that even remotely sounds like one that an Aspie would be more likely to make than a NT (or at least in her own mind), she feels the need to piss all over you and pity herself.

And no need to be hard on yourself. Just because your mother is obviously having some issues doesn't mean you can't do anything right.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 12:11 pm

One time someone hit me and my glasses broke and I had to hold a hand over my eye till they got fixed. And her parents didnt get to pay for them some reason. And they broke again when a rope hit my face and my cousins thought it was my fault for sitting in that part of the boat.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 5:06 pm

I hate my glasses. At the moment, I'm wearing my old glasses, so thing's aren't as fuzzy. I used to have to duct tape one of the ear pieces back onto the frames because it broke off. :|

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 10:01 pm

My Mom got mad at me again. beacause I couldn't figure out how to clean the glasses without smudging them mor than they were. arg! she really doesn't understand me at all!

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 10:29 pm

I still have that problem. If something oily gets on them (I have oily skin). I have to take them to the kitchen sink and wash them with dish soap. My uncle makes glasses and he taught me to wash them this way he says it is better than using a glass cleaner.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 11:15 pm

wow. I already figured that out just today. glass cleaner smudges the glasses more. I just spray them under the water and dry them off wuickly now.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 11:21 pm

Sounds just like my relationship with my mother when i was young. I had no brothres or sisters, NT or otherwise, so I don't know if she would have acted any differently if I didn't act differently.

Of course, back then, the assumption was just that I was hard to get along with. And, very disappointing.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2005, 11:35 pm

I ahve one Brother with ADD. My Mom treats me like she used to treat my dad. and always comments that I'm too much like my dad. I'm always scared that she'll get rifd of me because "I'm too hard to deal with" and "I have problems" like she did my dad. then again she told me recently she would send me somewhere but she has nowhere to send me.

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2005, 1:28 am

I had issues like that when i first had to get glasses, i have oily skin and that smudged my glassed almost immediately. When i got home my mom yelled at me for taking them off because she had spent so much money on them. I just wanted to clean them and really what use are glasses if they get smudged and i can't see through them?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 8:27 pm

I got mascara on them. oh poo. and when they aren't on I think they are and go to push them up...

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 9:02 pm

Sometimes people get angry for reasons outside what you are knowledge about.
For example, maybe something happened at work.

I think you should open up to her when things seem right and talk to her calmly about it.
If you know manners, then that helps alot.

This method works:

Confess to the communication problem that you have.
Compliment your mother on sevral areas.
Tell her (calmly, politely) why you don't think that she is helping you.
Finally give suggestions for improvement and say you love her.

Its called the sandwich method.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 1:18 pm

Welcome to the World of Glasses.

I hope You can see better now.

This is the way I clean My glasses, I spary window cleaner on them rub them with my fingers, then I wash them with water, then I dry them with a cloth or paper towel. That in the end seems to keep them from smudges.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 1:26 pm

When I'm feeling lazy, I run them under the sink (usually in the chemistry lab) and dry them off on my shirt. However, when I really want them cleaned, I use isopropyl rubbing alcohol. If it works for removing permanent marker from skin, it should work when removing smudge from glasses. The only thing that I'm careful about is that I don't scratch them up too much when I'm doing this.

By the way, would you like me to draw you the Lewis structure for isopropyl alcohol? I just learned how to draw them for simple organic compounds the other day in chem class... ;)