Would you like to live in solitary confinement?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2008, 5:14 am

About eleven years ago in a Quaker group discussion - the subject of which I've forgotten - a woman said that she would find being in solitary confinement bearable and could cope with it psychologically, because she is introverted and lives in her head. I identified with her. But because of the loss of freedom I would not like to live in solitary confinement.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 5:22 am

Has the Quaker woman ever done time in Solitary?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 6:40 am

slowmutant wrote:
No, never. Not in the coziest prison cell. Solitary Confinement is probably worse than death. It's the fate we reserve for those who are to be denied the leniency of a state execution.

Paul Bernardo, are you a Lifer? You've probably got a better cable hookup than me, knowing the Canadian prison system ...

It would be easier with digital cable television. I could just pretend that's another person to converse with.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 6:41 am

Woodpeace wrote:
About eleven years ago in a Quaker group discussion - the subject of which I've forgotten - a woman said that she would find being in solitary confinement bearable and could cope with it psychologically, because she is introverted and lives in her head. I identified with her. But because of the loss of freedom I would not like to live in solitary confinement.

I think it would be psychologically damaging to anybody except a comatose vegetative state to live in solitary confinement. The more self-aware realize this.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 10:05 am

I've been in psych ward for nearly four weeks now and due to not being allowed to go out, it feels partially like solitary confinement. Its notnice.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 10:25 am

anbuend wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
I actually thought about this! Outside of the lack of freedom, I guess I wouldn't mind either!

Unfortunately, the lack of freedom is one of the key features of solitary confinement.

I KNOW! THAT is why I mentioned it.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:51 am

Do my Tuxen count as other persons? If yes: NO WAY!! ! If no: for a limited time, surely! I would miss WP though.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:52 am

How long would you all like solitary confinement for?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:56 am

It would be interesting...to see how long each of us could last before losing our minds. I cannot say I have an answer...I would have to see first. I could stay in until I couldn't stand it anymore then get out.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

26 Jul 2008, 3:38 pm

slowmutant wrote:
No, never. Not in the coziest prison cell. Solitary Confinement is probably worse than death. It's the fate we reserve for those who are to be denied the leniency of a state execution.

This brings up a question I've had for years. A defense lawyer is supposed to work FOR the defendant. So then why does the lawyer sometimes offer the defendant in a murder trial a life sentence without parole in exchange for a guilty plea? I'd plead not guilty and take the death penalty. I've also heard families begging the judge to show mercy and give the convicted murderer life in prison. How is this merciful? It makes no sense. It's like a doctor deciding it's merciful to amputate a broken leg instead of having the patient go through the painful healing and rehabilitation process. This is long-term, painful confinement to avoid short-term pain, and if you've seen inside prison shows, you'd know it's a terrible place to exist.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 3:43 pm

Even the most comfortable prison is, after all, still a prison. :study:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 3:56 pm

KateShroud wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

This brings up a question I've had for years. A defense lawyer is supposed to work FOR the defendant. So then why does the lawyer sometimes offer the defendant in a murder trial a life sentence without parole in exchange for a guilty plea? I'd plead not guilty and take the death penalty. I've also heard families begging the judge to show mercy and give the convicted murderer life in prison. How is this merciful? It makes no sense. It's like a doctor deciding it's merciful to amputate a broken leg instead of having the patient go through the painful healing and rehabilitation process. This is long-term, painful confinement to avoid short-term pain, and if you've seen inside prison shows, you'd know it's a terrible place to exist.

Even if you got the death penalty you would still be on death row, which is like solitary confinement, a long time. I would just take the life sentence since everything in the legal system takes forever anyway. Even those who wave their appeals stay on death row a while.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

26 Jul 2008, 5:05 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
KateShroud wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Even if you got the death penalty you would still be on death row, which is like solitary confinement, a long time. I would just take the life sentence since everything in the legal system takes forever anyway. Even those who wave their appeals stay on death row a while.

Hell, even in prison there's always the possibility of suicide if you get desperate enough.

Spacedoubt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2008, 6:41 pm

Mw99 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd mind. Just give me something decent to read, a comfortable mattress, one or two meals a day, and I'm all set and ready to grow a lot wiser.

Can I bring my dog, my books, and my art supplies? I am so there!

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 6:48 pm

I would miss my fiance. Other than that...as long as I could pace back and forth and be fed occasionally I could keep myselfl surprisingly entertained.
I had a friend who was trapped in a predator's basement for a long time and he developed psychosis. But he was otherwise NT so maybe it would be different.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 7:18 pm

That is really scary to be trapped in a predator's basement. You would probably develop a psychosis in solitary confinement. A lot of people do because everyone needs some kind of social contact even when you think you do not.

I would like to think I don't but I know I am only decieving myself so I try.