Have you been accused of being superficial?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

blossoms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2008, 9:22 am

This is something that has been bothering me, I noticed it with some of the limited social interactions I engage in. Often in my readings and thinking I work from fragments and that is why it takes time to make patterns, it does not come at one time. I just get trains of thought, which take time to ferment.

Because of that, and the culture of hurrying everything, I've been accused of being superficial. Why? Well because I don't go all out claiming that everything is worked out, or that my world view (I am not too sure if I have one) has everything worked out. So in conversation I use terms like 'yes, perhaps, but it requires more time for thinking' or 'that's interesting, but it's more complex and I need to think about it', it results in the listener accusing you of being superficial or even not setting yourself a position, so that the listener makes sense of where you are going and why you have this interest. The listener can then think your interests are superficial or your plain ignorant, simply posing an intellectualising position (in NT world it seems everything must have an underlying reason, and sincerity is proven otherwise). In other words, everything has to be clear and NTs don't like systematic doubt, or just being plain confused! Never say 'I don't know', I was told!

Has this experience happened to anyone on this forum?! :D

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 12:17 pm

Absolutely. This is my biggest problem.
But I would have expressed it differently.
Gimme a minute and let it ferment.