Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 12:48 am

edit

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 7:26 am

Not sure.

But polygamy, or polygeny (whichever word means 'mulitple wives in a heterosexual marriage'), would HAVE to go along with legalized polyandry (wives with multiple husbands) before I would even consider thinking about tolerating it.

Its not just fairness between the sexes (allowing sauce for both the goose and the gander), but also fairness within each gender. Because of the issue of the limited supply of spouses (the sex ratio being roughly equal) you have the problem of supply if one gender is allowed multiple spouses. So you have to allow both genders to have multiple spouses to even it out.

But then if you allowed both polygamy and polyandry then a wife in a polygamous marriage could take on second husband- so then you have a 'group marriage' of both brother husbands and sister wives. So you would have to allow that too. Gets complicated.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 2:26 pm

edit

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 3:32 pm

I don't see they need. It is not for government to define relationships. They should abolish legal marriage.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 3:57 pm

edit

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 4:33 pm

If you believe in religious and cultural freedom it makes sense to get rid of legal marriage. The conflation of the legal marriage and religious and cultural marriage is what is causing the issue you talk about.

I support churches making their own definition of marriage for their followers. If people don't like it they can form or join a different one. I consider churches interest groups anyway.

There reason why there are so many issue is churches feel their religious practice is under threat becuase of this connection between legal marriage and religious marriage, which is not supposed to be there.

You could rename legal marriage to civil partnership, but I recommend severing the connection.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

edit

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm

edit

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:07 am

edit

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:58 am

edit

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 4:01 am

edit

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 4:22 am

My immediate instincts toward these kinds of things tend to be libertarian, so it's worth taking account who is actually pushing for this, and whether those are the kinds of groups which tend to grant grant women autonomy from their husbands. We might be talking about is whether we want to import another patriarchal system of bondage from the third world.

I don't think that we should be instituting policies that are inhume just so we can lower the birth rate. Nor is it a brilliant idea to buy into a paradigm that conceptualises humanity as something like a burdensome herd that needs to be culled.

Malthus was a sociopath, and he was dead wrong in his assumptions. The reason for poverty in his day were institutional. They were not a result of overpopulation. Likewise, the problems we see now with resource depletion and environmental destruction has more to do with geopolitical brinksmanship than it does in serving the actual needs of the humans on this planet.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:53 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
Or I don't know. Maybe it was just that she was only accused of such things, I know what it's like to be maliciously and falsely accused and that's what had stopped me from divorcing her when I first read the letter of accusation. If she isn't a horrible person to kids, if she's not a pedophile, then I would be punishing her for something she didn't do by my divorcing her. I don't want to do that. I don't want to make her cry. I love her. I don't want to divorce her. I hate emotions.

Gosh!

A lot of issues here-enough to overwhelm anyone. You might need counseling (both legal, and psychological) to get through this.

This thread should be in the "Haven", and not in the PPR, because its a personal, and not an academic issue.

My impulse is to say that "if there is that much smoke around your wife then there must be some fire", but actually mass hysteria among parents about their children does happen, and malicious accusation does happen, so it could be that there is no fire. Hard to say. But if that "biting" incident was proven then- thats a little bit of fire right there (and it might indicate there is more). But I'm no expert-get professional help IRL (dont rely on strangers on a social website) about this.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 9:24 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
Or I don't know. Maybe it was just that she was only accused of such things, I know what it's like to be maliciously and falsely accused and that's what had stopped me from divorcing her when I first read the letter of accusation. If she isn't a horrible person to kids, if she's not a pedophile, then I would be punishing her for something she didn't do by my divorcing her. I don't want to do that. I don't want to make her cry. I love her. I don't want to divorce her. I hate emotions.

Gosh!

A lot of issues here-enough to overwhelm anyone. You might need counseling (both legal, and psychological) to get through this.

This thread should be in the "Haven", and not in the PPR, because its a personal, and not an academic issue.

My impulse is to say that "if there is that much smoke around your wife then there must be some fire", but actually mass hysteria among parents about their children does happen, and malicious accusation does happen, so it could be that there is no fire. Hard to say. But if that "biting" incident was proven then- thats a little bit of fire right there (and it might indicate there is more). But I'm no expert-get professional help IRL (dont rely on strangers on a social website) about this.

Well.. I just noticed that you didnt actually start this thread- so it is academic. But you did revive it-because of a personal crises - apparently.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:45 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:

Gosh!

I suppose Haven would be a better place for this, but thanks for responding. That is the thing though, I don't want to think badly of her and there is a likelihood of her being both guilty and innocent. People can claim whatever they want and construe things however they want in order to make a mountain out of a molehill, but if Jackie had bit the child out of some fetish rather than out of a reflexive response to being hit and just awkward placement when carrying the child back as she said, then I would want to divorce her immediately as soon as I knew. I don't think she did though and I think the rest they said against her was crap, but it's the not know that makes it worse - especially when I've noticed her lie about many other things before, although nothing serious like this. I just don't know. It's a coin flip, with the unknown rather than heads or tails on each side.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

naturalplastic wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:

Gosh!

Well.. I just noticed that you didnt actually start this thread- so it is academic. But you did revive it-because of a personal crises - apparently.

I suppose I've derailed it. Back to academics: polygamy isn't wrong, it's not ideal. I don't really support it, I just wish there were a solution to my problem that didn't involve a lot of hurt feelings.