Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you a male aspie/autistic who is hypotonic? When I was 18 I was
Other - I'm a female or an NT and I just want to see the results. 53%  53%  [ 31 ]
Skinny - My chest was very flat, my forearms were like toothpicks, I always seemed weaker than the other guys in school. 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Average - My chest and forearms were no bigger or smaller than the other guys in school and I had about the same strength as anyone else. 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Naturally Ripped - My chest, forearms and core strength was better than most guys and I did not work out or use steroids. 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Built - My chest, forearms and core strength was better than most guys because I worked out a lot but did not use steroids. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Artificially Built - I used steroids and gained above average strength because it was too difficult or impossible to do it any other way. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 58

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:47 am

Have any of you guys tried Creatine? Its a vitamin supplement and is the chemical that muscles use for fuel. It helps with endurance. I've used it and it does work. Its just not the miracle vitamin that its cracked up to be IMHO.

You can get creatine in any health food store, but its usually cheaper online.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:03 am

I was always very weak for my size and also physically awkward.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 8:59 am

I think during my last really bad patch, my friend was feeding me either that or a precursor to that, since she was a former weightlifter, and apparently my symptoms on exertion at the time were what would normally happen with very heavy and prolonged weightlifting, when the muscle finally gives out. (The muscle itself shaking of its own accord, then it'd stop working, then weird jiggly feelings inside it and severe weakness, felt like it was made out of liquid rubber or something.) Whatever she gave me, she warned me to drink a lot of water with. Of course since it wasn't double-blind we have no clue if it worked, but it's been said to work for some things like that, and there's some science behind it apparently. (She at least knows on the weightlifting end what's real and what's bogus, because a lot of fake products are sold to weightlifters, and... well when she perseverates on a topic she's going to get every detail right.) And I did get better faster than I had the last time it happened before that, for whatever it's worth. But I'm wary of attributing that too much since a lot of situational factors (including how much rest I was able to get -- much more of it last time) were very different as well.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:18 am

I've always been really skinny. I don't know for sure if my strength is any less than the average guy though. I do think I tire out quicker.
The girls at still prefer me to do the heavy labor so...

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 5:45 pm

It sounds like you may be a little confused about Muscle Tone and Muscle Strength. A Hypotonic individual may be able to exert the same strength as a normal person but may suffer from poorer stance, curvature or general "floppiness" due to the way in which the muscles are layered on the body. Strength is not a good indicator.

From: http://www.livingwithcerebralpalsy.com/hypotonia-cerebral.php

The Paragraph on Muscle tone vs. muscle strength wrote:
The low muscle tone associated with hypotonia must not be confused with low muscle strength. In body building, good muscle tone is equated with good physical condition, with taut muscles, and a lean appearance, whereas an out-of-shape, overweight individual with fleshy muscles is said to have "poor tone." Neurologically, however, muscle tone cannot be changed under voluntary control, regardless of exercise and diet.

NarfMann
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2008, 5:12 am

I am hypotonic and my muscle mass is naturally far greater than most people's. I will never have washboard abs or bulging biceps no matter how much I work out, but when I was 15 and lifting weights in high school I could easily bench press more than twice my weight and I've always been very oddly flexible. The nearly freakish strength I have builds very quickly and atrophies very slowly. I look strange when I run and have a difficult time annunciating when I speak because of a general lack of precision in my muscle control, which has nothing to do with strength.

Digression: It may sound like a good thing to have super-human strength and increased flexibility, but since I hardly ever exercise I have a lot of weight with very little muscle support for my joints combined with poor blood circulation and typical aspie posture, which is causing some pretty bad back problems before the age of 30. It's a preventable problem, but I am particularly susceptible to herniated discs and such.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 5:49 pm

I'm not completely without muscles but I find that I still tend to slump or to lean on my elbows a lot. I rest my chin on my hand a bit too when I really should be sitting up straight. These are hypotonia issues.