Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you a male aspie/autistic who is hypotonic? When I was 18 I was
Other - I'm a female or an NT and I just want to see the results. 53%  53%  [ 31 ]
Skinny - My chest was very flat, my forearms were like toothpicks, I always seemed weaker than the other guys in school. 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Average - My chest and forearms were no bigger or smaller than the other guys in school and I had about the same strength as anyone else. 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Naturally Ripped - My chest, forearms and core strength was better than most guys and I did not work out or use steroids. 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Built - My chest, forearms and core strength was better than most guys because I worked out a lot but did not use steroids. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Artificially Built - I used steroids and gained above average strength because it was too difficult or impossible to do it any other way. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 58

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 6:20 pm

Some people are saying that Hypotonia (Reduced muscle mass) is common among male autistics and may even be considered to be a symptom. I've always been hypotonic myself and have had to fight for every ounce of muscle that I have. I was wondering if others are the same way.

The poll is for male aspie/autistics only. For all others, please just check the Other button.

Answer the poll question regarding the way you were when you were 18 (or less if you are currently younger).

NOTE: If you are a parent of an aspie/autistic, you can answer on their behalf.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 7:08 pm

Suspecting hypotonia. Though I'm naturally somewhat strong, I have to workout to gain any muscle mass. I'm 6'1 and I weight about 135 at any given time. Also some parts of my body are out of proportion, such as my large hands and feet.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 7:50 pm

Female.

Diagnosed with hypotonia during early childhood (1980's).

Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder - Primary Inattentive Type (early 1980's); diagnosis switched to AS after AS was added to the DSM.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 8:04 pm

I fall into the naturally ripped category. I have always been very muscular and stronger than most. I have worked out for a couple short periods of time(2-4 months), and built additional muscle mass very quickly. It's been almost 5 years since I've done any excercise, and I'm still in pretty good shape. If it wasn't for the social anxiety/panic disorder, I could have been a successful athlete, in almost any sport.

Those who know, don't speak.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 8:15 pm

I am 5'6" and 105 lbs. So, I am very skinny. However, I would say that I am stronger then most people who weigh 105 lbs. Then again, most males who are 105 lbs are 12 years old, so I have some advantages over them. Compared to most 21 year old males I am weaker then average, and about 50 lbs lighter then average.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 8:31 pm

In most cases, its better to be skinny than obese. I'd rather be skinny, but ripped would be nice too.

MintLemonade
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2008, 9:09 pm

I'm a girl but I was diagnosed with hypotonia when I was 3 months old.

I feel like a sack of jello if I don't exercise so I do ballet or yoga. Yoga classes are free at my college, I wish I could dance more but the classes are expensive.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 10:01 pm

Hypotonia does not mean reduced muscle mass.

At least, to my knowledge.

Hypotonia has to do with low tone, that is that the muscles are in a reduced state of readiness and they have less resistant to force. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to with whether or not you are ripped- it has to do with the stretch response in the muscle.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 4:40 am

This is the first time I have done a poll here where the OTHERS outnumber the rest of the options.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 4:44 am

I have a heavy frame, and I'm stronger than most people my age (regardless of label).

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 4:48 am

I'm female and have poor muscle tone and poor physical strength and stamina. Even when I try to build muscle tone (hand weights) it dissolves fairly quickly.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:04 am

LostInSpace wrote:

Hypotonia has to do with low tone, that is that the muscles are in a reduced state of readiness and they have less resistant to force. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to with whether or not you are ripped- it has to do with the stretch response in the muscle.

That is correct.
Hypotonia is:
Quote:
Decreased tone of skeletal muscles, often described as floppiness. Hypotonia is a common finding in chromosome 15q duplication syndrome. ...
www.idic15.org/c15d_glossary.php

I have the opposite issue, hypertonia. I had physiotherapy and occupational therapy for it and related problems when I was little. I am female.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 4:18 pm

I think I have the opposite. I have hypertonia but it doesn’t mean I’m ripped. It means I’m really stiff and fatigue quickly. I also get soreness a lot for no reason.

As far as muscles go I was tall and skinny and below average strength until I was about 18. After that I filled out a lot. I’m stronger now but there’s not much to show for it because I also carry more excess fat. I don’t think I’ll ever be ripped or athletic looking because the fat and muscle tend to come and go together on me. I'm probably a little stronger than average but only in proportion to being bigger than average.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:54 pm

LostInSpace wrote:

This is correct.

It can also be a temporary condition. Some people have it only for some length of time during childhood. I don't know if normal muscle tone occurs spontaneously as part of the growth process in some individuals or if exercise has an effect on it.

I had poor muscle tone (hypotonia) from about the age of 4 or 5 until I was about 10 or 11. I built up muscle tone gradually as I grew so I can't say exactly when I ceased to qualify for the diagnosis. All I know is that by the time I stopped growing, I was quite athletic. I had excellent muscle tone and I still do to this day.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:58 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
I have the opposite issue, hypertonia. I had physiotherapy and occupational therapy for it and related problems when I was little. I am female.

I have that in some parts of my body (since infancy), and have sometimes had problems with low tone, or just plain weakness, in others. (Severe muscle weakness is really really really really really bad if you are hypermobile already. I had more subluxations and dislocations during that time period than I want to think about, if you're hypermobile your muscles are a good part of what stabilizes your joints. Unfortunately some kind of intermittent disorder causing periods (months or years) of severe weakness with exertion runs in my family, my grandma has it too.)

As a child I had excellent stamina (at least for walking long-distance, which was a favorite activity), as an adult I have never had much of any, and have to strike a really unpleasant balance between not exercising too much and not exercising too little to keep the strength I do have (either one will lead to more weakness, how much exercise it takes to lead to collapse ranges from a little while of light aerobic exercise, to any movement at all, so the size and location of the tightrope I have to walk there is always changing; same thing for my grandma since adulthood for her too).

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:47 am

Have any of you guys tried Creatine? Its a vitamin supplement and is the chemical that muscles use for fuel. It helps with endurance. I've used it and it does work. Its just not the miracle vitamin that its cracked up to be IMHO.

You can get creatine in any health food store, but its usually cheaper online.