Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 9:06 am

I haven't bothered with gaming magazines for a long time. When I was young, I was into Next Generation and PC Gamer, but now I don't bother.

For editorial content, I do read http://www.escapistmagazine.com/ sometimes. I find them less interesting than I used to though, and usually Yahtzee's reviews are the main thing I'm interested in these days.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:26 pm

Giantbomb.com looks to be a promising review site. The reviewers seem to be more critical than most other sites, and aren't easily swayed by high production or mass marketing. Jeff Gerstmann of Gamespot posts reviews there, who at this point is known as both experienced and committed to proper reviews (after being sacked at Gamespot for writing negative reviews of games by their advertisers). The site is new at the moment and doesn't have that many reviews.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm

I read PC Gamer from 1996 to 2006. After that I had to stop. The reviews got increasingly bias towards EA titles, increasingly self-righteous, and there weren't too many games coming out that I thought looked even remotely good, so it just wasn't worth it. PC Gamer's original staff was all gone, and Greg Vederman, the guy who'd previously been the magazine staff's whipping boy (EVERYONE made fun of him) somehow ended up becoming the Editor-in-Chief.

After that I checked Gamespot every so often but rarely visit anymore, especially not after the whole Kane and Lynch ordeal. The fact that you can't view the main page without being bombarded with tons of ads for the US Army disgusts me, and I'm fairly convinced that they, like PC Gamer, have been totally bought up by game publishers.

I don't get much gaming news anymore but that's ok because, again, 95% of the games out there disinterest me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:18 am

Gamespot's situation these days is a lot like PC Gamer's, since the Kane & Lynch affair most of the editorial staff have left.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:44 am

Veresae wrote:
I read PC Gamer from 1996 to 2006. After that I had to stop. The reviews got increasingly bias towards EA titles, increasingly self-righteous, and there weren't too many games coming out that I thought looked even remotely good, so it just wasn't worth it. PC Gamer's original staff was all gone, and Greg Vederman, the guy who'd previously been the magazine staff's whipping boy (EVERYONE made fun of him) somehow ended up becoming the Editor-in-Chief.

After that I checked Gamespot every so often but rarely visit anymore, especially not after the whole Kane and Lynch ordeal. The fact that you can't view the main page without being bombarded with tons of ads for the US Army disgusts me, and I'm fairly convinced that they, like PC Gamer, have been totally bought up by game publishers.

I don't get much gaming news anymore but that's ok because, again, 95% of the games out there disinterest me.

PC Gamer UK is still great. You should visit their website and have a read.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/sites/pcgamer/

Broncosojia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2008, 12:33 pm

i read gameinformer