Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 4:34 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Ad hominems against Jenny McCarthy are pretty low-class. And juvenile. She's trying to do some good things the only way she knows how. Jenny may not have the correct information but that's no need to tear her down like this.

Who are you to criticize the activist spirit?

The problem is that not everyone thinks autism should be cured and a lot of people don't want to be identified with autism because of the stuff people like her are saying. They think autism is something really bad and it isn't. Also we do not want people to feel sorry for us.

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 4:37 pm

slowmutant wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:
The "activist spirit", in the wrong cause, can be a dangerous thing, slowmutant. What were the Crusades, after all, than the "activist spirit" of Europeans, harnessed in the service of the Papal ambitions of the time? And the Conquistadores, with their wholesale destruction of South and Central American cultures, were certainly "activist"...

Would Ms McCarthy only use her "activism" in the service of scientific thought, rather than rumor and innuendo, we would sing her praises indeed, I would think! Sadly, this has not yet come to pass...

Jenny McCarthy is not a scientist or a philosopher. Just a famous mom. Though her methods may be in error, they are motivated by her love for her child and concern for others. Facts and protocols and techniques can be re-learned if necessary, but the activist spirit cannot be fabricated or falsified. I wonder if her inner circle of friends and colleagues feels this way, also. It would be a shame if Jenny had yes-men who tell her what she wants to hear and not necessarily what is true.

So in other words she is beyond contempt because she has a child with autism? :roll:

LeKiwi, I understand them and appreciate that they are trying to do the right thing. But what people are saying for the most part is not that they are evil, it's that they choosing to buy into the fear aspect of it instead of listening to us. It's hard to cut people slack if they won't listen. This is why they are being called selfish here.

All of this misinformation needs to stop and it's parents of kids w autism who are spreading it the most. They need to understand that its them who have the problem with it and not the people who actually have autism, or ADD, etc.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:12 am

All this talk has been about compassion, understanding, etc... but at the end of the day, it's the solid facts that count.

I'm still waiting.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 4:16 pm

I really want to hear something from Jenny's son, but I think we may have to wait for that.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:49 pm

Ishmael wrote:
All this talk has been about compassion, understanding, etc... but at the end of the day, it's the solid facts that count.

I'm still waiting.

What exactly do you mean by 'solid facts?'

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 8:53 pm

Jenny McCarthy seems to have a very negative opinion on autism, probably she doesn't want to know if there are some positive aspects from it, it seems to me, that, and it is just a speculation, that she might be extremely worried about the social aspects, she may want her son to be "normal" at all costs, to have a social life, to have friends, to get married, like every other boring human being.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 9:46 pm

Their is a fine line between advocacy and pushing a crusade sadly Jenny McCarthy crossed that line a long time ago. She means well we all can see that but she has been a disaster for autism awareness. Would it be legal to duck tape her mouth shut till we get the facts straight???

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:00 pm

Barracuda wrote:
I really want to hear something from Jenny's son, but I think we may have to wait for that.

Meantime, I would be highly interested in an opinion from her son's biological father. Conspicuously silent, isn't he?

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Barracuda wrote:

Meantime, I would be highly interested in an opinion from her son's biological father. Conspicuously silent, isn't he?

He is the smart one, I mean no child should have the media's eyes on them its not healthy. At least one parent is smart enough to see that.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:40 pm

Mini-rant: Today I attended an autism conference. I received an evaluation sheet, which had a section asking which speakers out of a list people would like to see next year. Under the "Parents/Autistic People" section, Jenny was listed as "mother of recovered child." What?! Then why is she chelating him?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 1:21 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
Their is a fine line between advocacy and pushing a crusade sadly Jenny McCarthy crossed that line a long time ago. She means well we all can see that but she has been a disaster for autism awareness. Would it be legal to duck tape her mouth shut till we get the facts straight???

No. I am the only person not upset about DAN? Hmmm. Strange.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 1:42 am

When you parent an autistic child and you hear someone tell you "Well Jenny cured her son, why isn't your child cured?"

You may understand. :roll:

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 6:13 am

Quote:
When you parent an autistic child and you hear someone tell you "Well Jenny cured her son, why isn't your child cured?"

You may understand.

You're kidding, right? Somebody actually said THAT to you? Wow. I'm at a loss for words - barring what I've already said.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 7:05 am

Before I first logged onto WrongPlanet, I'd never even heard of DAN. :shrug:

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 2:01 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Before I first logged onto WrongPlanet, I'd never even heard of DAN. :shrug:

Me neither. I'm with you on this one, slowmutant... I don't really see what's wrong with it, as long as it's done safely and with the child's best interests at heart (as I'm sure they are 99% of the time). You could say 'oh but it isn't safe', but then given that iatrogenic death is the number one killer in America anyway you could say the same to parents who give their children any other drug anyway...

I'll also add that before I logged onto here I'd never heard of Jenny McCarthy or this whole 'autism rights' thing either, and I'd never come across any reason to either. Maybe I'm just lucky and come from a more accepting place. :roll:

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 8:59 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Me neither. I'm with you on this one, slowmutant... I don't really see what's wrong with it, as long as it's done safely and with the child's best interests at heart (as I'm sure they are 99% of the time). You could say 'oh but it isn't safe', but then given that iatrogenic death is the number one killer in America anyway you could say the same to parents who give their children any other drug anyway...

The thing is, chelation is not safe, and it doesn't give results. If there were scientific evidence that it worked, and the risks were sufficiently low, I wouldn't mind people doing it. But screwing with your child's body systems for something not proven is stupid and unethical.