John Edwards had an extramarital affer (rolling eyes)

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 1:02 am

''I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

-John Edwards, in 1999 regarding Bill Clinton's moral lapses

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 1:23 am

There goes any chance Edwards had of running in '12 or beyond. I would have thought that if someone wanted to risk ruining their political career they would have at least done it with someone like a Hollywood star a la JFK. And from what I've heard from her on the news, his ugly mistress doesn't have a nice personality either, what was Edwards thinking...?

It didn't help that Mrs. Edwards has cancer, that made it more of a news story.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 10:35 am

sinsboldly wrote:
the only way being a bank robber is not a crime is if it is consensual with the bank.

Then the bank would be wrongly authorizing a person to take from other account holders.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 11:38 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
the only way being a bank robber is not a crime is if it is consensual with the bank.

Then the bank would be wrongly authorizing a person to take from other account holders.

it's called a bank loan when the bank is consentual, iamnotaparakeet.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 2:46 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

That's not robbing then: he pays it back with exponential interest. That's not what robbing is.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:05 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

That's not robbing then: he pays it back with exponential interest. That's not what robbing is.

duh!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:14 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

duh!

Bank loans are legal and within the contract of all account holders. For any married person to break the contract of marriage... how is that the same?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:17 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
''I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

I think this and the fact that he emphatically denied the allegations while campaigning are the heart of it. Those who can deal with the "sin" don't want to see the lies or hypocrasy. Quite a catch 22, really, because other people care about the "sin," which encourages the lies and hypocracy (given that so few of those in power can actually resist temptation). I preferred the days when no one knew enough about candidate's private lives to care. When we have to toss out everyone who has a moral weakness or two, we aren't left with a lot of great candidates with the smarts where they are most needed.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:33 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

I think this and the fact that he emphatically denied the allegations while campaigning are the heart of it. Those who can deal with the "sin" don't want to see the lies or hypocrasy. Quite a catch 22, really, because other people care about the "sin," which encourages the lies and hypocracy (given that so few of those in power can actually resist temptation). I preferred the days when no one knew enough about candidate's private lives to care. When we have to toss out everyone who has a moral weakness or two, we aren't left with a lot of great candidates with the smarts where they are most needed.

Interesting corollary: only immoral people are intelligent.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:08 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Having an affair is not necessarily immoral.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:22 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

That isn't what I said at all.

My thought process is this:

Only a small percentage of the population is smart and savy enough to effectively run a country.

A large percentage of the population has what can be perceived by many as a moral weakness or two.

When you cut out the later, the former is mathematically severely reduced.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:23 pm

corroonb wrote:

It is considered to be by a majority of the population.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:27 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
corroonb wrote:

Morality is a relative concept. Majority rulings on morality are called law. Adultery is no longer illegal so the majority must not consider it immoral.

I'm assuming that the majority has a morality when the laws are ratified.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:48 pm

corroonb wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
corroonb wrote:

Morality is a relative concept. Majority rulings on morality are called law. Adultery is no longer illegal so the majority must not consider it immoral.

I'm assuming that the majority has a morality when the laws are ratified.

I would like to think that we do not legislate morality when it is, essentially, a personal matter. There was a time nations regardly did legislate personal morality, but the prevailing opinion now is that personal freedom trumps legislation in many areas that still are, essentially, questions of morality. You have the freedom in the USA to act in ways the majority considers immoral. The simple fact that it isn't legislated is a statement about a belief in personal liberty, not a statement about what people consider moral or immoral. If you live only by what does and does not break a law, you are not holding yourself to the same standard as the majority, at least as stated by the majority in studies and polls.

I think you really take a leap to say that just because adultery isn't illegal, the majority must not consider it immoral. I'm still surprised by that leap. There are many, many things that fall in between legislation and proper behavior. Things that I would not do, because I consider them immoral, but that don't cause enough pervasive harm to society for them to illegal. Or things that I consider immoral, but know I and most people are not strong enough to universally refrain from. For which I do not want to impose my standard of morality onto everyone else. I don't even always want to impose it upon myself. But it is a goal, a best way, just not always THE way. A law must reflect what almost everyone considers abhorrent; and not only abhorrent, but harmful. Morality is personal. Legislation is much more universal and concensus based. The considerations are quite different.

Shoot, some things are illegal even though most people would not consider them immoral. Speeding, for example. In a vacuum, it isn't wrong. It is illegal because of the potential for harm, the high probability of accidents, and the simple fact that no one drives in a vacuum.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 10:51 am

corroonb wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Extramarital affairs are always immoral, out of necessity.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:29 pm

slowmutant wrote:
corroonb wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Extramarital affairs are always immoral, out of necessity.

So morality is absolute again? Really? From where does one derive their morality? A contradictory two thousand year old book? The laws?