John Edwards had an extramarital affer (rolling eyes)

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:29 pm

slowmutant wrote:
corroonb wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
''I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

-John Edwards, in 1999 regarding Bill Clinton's moral lapses

I think this and the fact that he emphatically denied the allegations while campaigning are the heart of it. Those who can deal with the "sin" don't want to see the lies or hypocrasy. Quite a catch 22, really, because other people care about the "sin," which encourages the lies and hypocracy (given that so few of those in power can actually resist temptation). I preferred the days when no one knew enough about candidate's private lives to care. When we have to toss out everyone who has a moral weakness or two, we aren't left with a lot of great candidates with the smarts where they are most needed.

Interesting corollary: only immoral people are intelligent.

Having an affair is not necessarily immoral.

Extramarital affairs are always immoral, out of necessity.

So morality is absolute again? Really? From where does one derive their morality? A contradictory two thousand year old book? The laws?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:47 pm

All of the above, and more.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2008, 3:33 pm

Fossy wrote:
Am I supposed to care that he cheated on his wife?

In the USA, the "leaders" are purported to be morally superior to the hoi-polloi. That is, one of the airs they put on is a general superiority to the unwashed masses. They just don't do naughty things--that's for commoner scum like you and me.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for those leaders who fairly openly take the "bad boy" approach to life, such as Huey Long and Bill Clinton.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 4:01 pm

James A. Garfield had Mrs. Calhoun and Warren G Harding had Nan Britton and Franklin D. Roosevelt had Lucy Mercer and Dwight D. Eisenhower had Kaye Summersby and John F. Kennedy shared Norma Jean Baker with Bobby and Lyndon Johnson had Alice Glass.

and this was back in the good old days when morals were morals and sins were sins unless you kept your mouth shut and looked the other way.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2008, 4:50 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
James A. Garfield had Mrs. Calhoun and Warren G Harding had Nan Britton and Franklin D. Roosevelt had Lucy Mercer and Dwight D. Eisenhower had Kaye Summersby and John F. Kennedy shared Norma Jean Baker with Bobby and Lyndon Johnson had Alice Glass.

and this was back in the good old days when morals were morals and sins were sins unless you kept your mouth shut and looked the other way.

Which they did, like proper philanderers should.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:35 am

On the one hand I feel cheating to be absolutely despicable. It isn't about a "2000 year old book" or laws or anything else. It's based on some pretty bad personal experience that shattered my faith and trust in a couple people I knew, and the feeling that came with that that I wouldn't wish on damn near anyone. Especially if the guy's wife is dealing with cancer, that's the lowest of the low. How unbelievably selfish.

However, I think that the "tabloid culture's" continued fascination with sleazy behavior rather than substance is unnecessary and annoying. Though I wish some people wouldn't do certain things, I could really not care less about the private lives of 99% of public figures. Unfortunately, a lot of people are too daft to grasp the issues, and go for this sort of news instead. :roll:

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2008, 1:36 am

who's john edwards again? and why should i care? mr knight, a math teacher at amarillo high, picked up prostitutes. i'm sure that counts as cheating on his wife, and is even worse. do you care?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 5:26 am

adverb wrote:
who's john edwards again? and why should i care? mr knight, a math teacher at amarillo high, picked up prostitutes. i'm sure that counts as cheating on his wife, and is even worse. do you care?

Both cases are of adultery.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 5:38 am

Adultery is adultery, no matter who does it.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:38 am

slowmutant wrote:

so, slowmutant. what if two people decide to have an open marriage? They have made their own rules of their relationship.
They would not be bound to the rules that were made up for people that believe as you do, correct?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:30 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

so, slowmutant. what if two people decide to have an open marriage? They have made their own rules of their relationship.
They would not be bound to the rules that were made up for people that believe as you do, correct?

The key is two people: that they agree to it.

Do I still think they are making a bad choice? YES. I've seen open marriages and despite the talk, someone IS always getting hurt. But, still, that is their moral decision to make, not mine, and if they do not believe it is morally wrong, then they have the right to act accordingly.

Do I still feel it is morally wrong? Yes, actually, because I HAVE seen the harm that comes even when they have agreed it, and neither believes they are doing anything wrong. But I won't impose my belief on them.

In the sense that one person's moral beliefs are going to remain consistent almost universally, regardless of who they are applied to, morality is absolute. In the sense that different people hold different sets of moral beliefs, and have the right to do so, morality is not.

But, heck, everyone makes mistakes. I also don't believe in throwing someone under the bus for an act I believe is morally wrong. What I hope for is that they learn and thrive for something better.

And John Edwards, whose behavior insired this thread ... I would have liked to have seen something better from him, given all the blustery talk he made, but I don't think the error means he cannot serve effectively in certain political offices. And he isn't a player in an election anymore, anyway. It would have been nice for the press to spare his WIFE some pain, and allow a private matter to stay that way.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 8:29 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

What is an open marriage? By definition, marriage is a closed contract between a man, a woman, and God. Or, in the case of secular union, a man, a woman, and a judge. Is there any meaning to marriage if adultery is to be part of it? Why not just live common law? :shrug:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:26 pm

slowmutant wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

What is an open marriage? By definition, marriage is a closed contract between a man, a woman, and God. Or, in the case of secular union, a man, a woman, and a judge. Is there any meaning to marriage if adultery is to be part of it? Why not just live common law? :shrug:

you must really peep your head out now and then, slowmutant. There are all sorts of different people and ideas and philosophies other than what you are used to. There are other Gods people worship and enter into binding contracts with not to mention more religions than Christianity.

I am certain the 'spirit marriages' of the FLDS Churches in Arizona and Texas think their polygamous unions are blessed by a God as omnipotent as yours.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:31 pm

I don't particularly care about the FLDS churches in TX and AZ.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:50 pm

slowmutant wrote:
I don't particularly care about the FLDS churches in TX and AZ.

but they exist, and they have their own creeds and hierarchy and the children were raised with those values and they adhere to them as hard as anyone does their church teachings. Why should we not be bound to their concepts of marriage and family life? Are they not as privileged as other religions that make moral judgements on adultery?

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm

I can't figure out why anybody's shocked by the behavior of a trial lawyer who became a politician.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina