Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:50 pm

Why do some people not like talking about their feelings?

My mom will do it- she often times me to lie about how I feel.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:54 pm

Correct words are difficult in this area.

Also, I'm an intensely private guy.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2008, 6:57 pm

It's often hard for people with ASDs to understand feelings, even their own. My 10 y/o DD REALLY has a hard time understanding what she feels and putting it into words. I used to as well. Talking about feelings makes you vulnerable, it opens you up to people. If you have safe people you are close to, who will listen and try to understand and not judge, it is a lot easier to open up and talk about feelings.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:18 pm

I do not like talking about my feelings and I'm not to big on hearing other's either.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:21 pm

Feelings are not too interesting. We all have them to varying degrees and some are more useful than others. I have no use for guilt, fear, despair and depression. Anger has its uses in moderation.

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2008, 3:19 am

It's confusing, because I don't always know how I'm feeling or know what the words are so I can only say I don't know, and then people think I'm shy or trying to hide something, or I can say it but people take it wrong or think it's not okay to feel like that. So if you mostly have that sort of experience in talking about feelings you don't have much reason to want to talk about feelings.

But anyway feelings are so personal there's no way to share to be sure you're talking about the same thing, it isn't like a bear that you can both experience together at one time and even if you could the same feelings at one time would feel different to people with different backgrounds, because feelings aren't discrete units but part of a lifelong emotional sense understood also through personality and brain differences.