attn: grease monkeys and gearheads re: help

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 9:18 pm

I need to know if you can put any old engine into an older car like a '64 Nova - you know, provided it's the right size and whatnot.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 9:34 pm

small block chev v8, should be a direct bolt in, so that would be anything from a 283, 327, to a 350, if the car originally had an inline 6, you may have to get heaver springs to handle the extra weight.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

I'd have to go with a Ferrari V-12, you'll have to transplant the entire drivetrain, as the transmission is mounted in the rear.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 2:55 am

It depends on a few things, namely, did the car originally come with a V8 or an I6? The engine mounts, and quite possibly the wiring harness will differ between the two. Furthermore, I would stick to using a Chevy/GMC/Pontiac/Cadillac motor. The Buick and some Olds engines were slightly differant, and may also have a differant wiring harness.

Furthermore, you would most likely run into serious issues should the engine you want to replace the current engine with be either a Ford or a Chysler product, as not only the engine mounts are differant, but the electrical systems/wiring harnesses, and the transmissions would be differant. Should you plan on doing this, you could simplify things somewhat by using the drivetrain from those brands with the corresponding engines, however you would probably also have to have a transmission yoke and possibly a driveshaft custom made.

Last edited by Fogman on 13 Aug 2008, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 3:07 am

off-topic- but take a VW beetle shell and slide a juicy porche engine into it :)
that goes like a bullet

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:49 pm

Or transplant a 3.0 liter transverse Ferrari V-8. It's a unit, engine and transaxle. It would fit into the rear of the car, and really give you a thrill ! !

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 12:34 pm

All right then, if you insist on being auto-ethno-centric, then go with a Chevrolet 327 cubic inch. THAT'LL give you some horsepower ! !!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:50 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
All right then, if you insist on being auto-ethno-centric, then go with a Chevrolet 327 cubic inch. THAT'LL give you some horsepower ! !!

The Chevrolet 350 is basically a bored/stroked version of the same engine, and is much more common, so you have a greater source for parts, and a cheaper overall supply due to the availability.

Of course the newer ones put out at least double the hosepower of the early ones due to greater airflow, improved head design, and taller cam profiles. You can modify a stock engine from the 70's to have equivalent performance, however you REALLY have to know what you're doing with this. --It's better just to get a current 'Crate Motor' from Chevy, as their engineers have done all the work, and you don't have to worry about getting more expensive aftermarket parts if the engine that you design breaks a valve, burns a piston, or throws a connecting rod due to improper design parameters.