Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

animeboy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2008, 2:55 am

As I posted yesterday, I have many different strange habits. I also tend to talk to myself, as well. And over the last couple of years it has gotten worse. I would say it has been a habit as long as my habit of not looking in the mirror, since about the sixth grade. For me it is a way of dealing with my failing relations with my altogether dysfunctional family and a severe depression. I tend to feel better after a long "bitching session." It is a daily occurrence for me. I tend to go on tirades quite often when everybody goes off somewhere else and the windows are rolled up. It gets so bad that I sometimes scream at the top of my lungs in the house. I always tend to take walks at the same time every night and I have been caught by strangers muttering to myself. They tend to look up at me funny.

For your info, I dont have any hallucinations, and I am talking to myself, no-one else.

Is this at all related to Asperger's or am I mentally ill in some way, shape, or form? If this is a mental illness, what is it? Any suggestions?

And, do you talk to yourself? What form does it take? Is it a method of coping with depression?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 2:59 am

Talking to yourself is a totally normal activity. It's no more crazy than singing in the shower. ^_^

And yes, I do talk to myself. Quite a bit, actually. I've done it since I was a child, even in public! Though nowadays, I restrict my monologues for when I'm all by myself and there's no risk of someone walking in on me.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 3:20 am

At least you realize that you shouldn't do it openly. If it helps you then it's probably not bad. Can you try to internalize your voice?

KaneR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2008, 4:52 am

I talk to myself, it is a normal thing aswell as an autistic trait. I often talk to myself if something bad has happened or if i am worried about something. Sometimes i say words off films spontaneously or sing random songs off tv shows. So don't feel alone obviously.

Unbeliever
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2008, 5:02 am

I actually find it quite helpful to talk out loud to myself, and to rant if I'm annoyed at something. Usually saying something out loud will bring me out of my head and make things a bit clearer. Constantly trying to work things out internally kinda screws me up sometimes (if that makes sense).

I used to go on a few walks as well, and have a good rant, if the circumstance required. Some fresh air and excercise is always good for clearing the head :)

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:13 am

I do it all the time usually when others are not around, but at times if something bad has happened or if I am worried about something, does not matter who is around. I also tend to read aloud helps me process information, so your really not alone and as some one else said "just like singer in the shower" I do feel its an autism spectrum trait also....

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:06 pm

I also talk to myself, a lot...but other people see it as just mumbling :evil: :evil:

Like when I'm out in public with family, and I'll say something to myself, and they'll say "What?"

or even more condescending, "You got a mouse in your pocket?" Argh!

So I say to them what McMurphy said in 'Cuckoo's Nest': "I'm not talking to anybody, I'm talking to myself; helps relax me."

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:23 pm

I talk to myself when nobody else is around - It is the only way I can have an intellectual conversation :lol:

Seriously, though, I often talk to myself when sorting complex problems. Vocalising seems to help me think things out.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:29 pm

i talk to myself mentally only

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 5:18 pm

I would do but I've stopped listening and I can't get a word in edge ways :?

I do it when annoyed and frustrated - just gets redirected from internal thought to my mouth.