Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 4:26 am

Woah, did that really happen?

I don't know why they don't stop trying to CURE autism. They are wasting time and money. Autism is caused by different wiring in the brain, what are they planning on doing? Brain surgery? What they need to concentrate on is finding ways of helping us ADAPT to a very NT based world. This would help a lot more.

Frankly, I am proud to be high functioning autistic and when I am older I plan to speak out for those who autism speaks claims to help, however I know from my own perspective what it is like to have autism and I will help a lot more than them...

I just hate them...

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:06 am

I think the term "hate speech" may not be entirely warranted in this case. We disagree with the message certainly, we feel the message is ignorant of the bigger picture. However I would not call it hate speech. I simply see a mother who has allowed her desperation to make her child normal blind her to what the autistic spectrum fully contains and possibly the real potential of her child.

This is unfortunate, and ignorent. But it is not hateful.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:30 am

autism hate speech on the internet? dude, on youtube and all those sites. its all trolls. since there is so much ignorence about it, trolls attack mental disabilites since they dont know much, and everyone ekse doesnt know much about it. but there rwally arent racist or anti semetic trolls since all the stereotypes are wrong and the just bout everyone knows that. but homosexuality, theres still trolls as there is for mental disabilities cause so many people are ignorant. one major reason for autism is cause of the organization that is leading to a second genocide that we all know and "love" AUTISM SPEAKS!

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:46 pm

Some of us here who are undiagnosed are in fact legit. Not everyone qualifies for the best health care but that doesn't make one invalid. Everyone's personal bias is based on their own personal differences and experiences making it hard sometimes to see a bigger picture.

It's especially unsettling when individuals and organizations suggest cures in hope of wiping us out. It's distressing to say the least. What kind of ignorance doesn't see the value of a given difference, the gifts or even the opportunity to learn more about the mysteries hidden in the condition, but instead only see a defect or hindrance of some kind? It seems more people are high-functioning rather than the other way around, so why is there this much ignorance and confusion? Nonetheless, by brute force and mentality, we seem to be out-numbered.

The whole gene thing is confusing in and of itself. A gene isn't always something cut in stone. It can be altered and affected, but that doesn't necessarily also have to indicate defected. When they discover a specific gene, then we can in fact know it is also inherent.

It seems a lower kind of intelligence that doesn't understand the value of a given difference, and can only think in terms of ridding something that doesn't generally mimick who and what they are.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:07 pm

Teoka wrote:
Lemme put it this way:
You can't trust an organization created and lead by the ideals of a woman who was going to drive her car, containing herself and her autistic daughter, off a bridge, mainly to kill the autistic daughter.

Not true. Ms Singer did not create Autism Speaks. She is a Senior Vice-President and does receive a six-figure salary. Autism Speaks was created by Bob & Suzanne Wright after the birth of their autistic grandchild.

While I have not seen the video you refer to (part of the Autism Every Day video) most accounts I have read indicate that she said she considered it while driving across the bridge. She decided not to because she has another NT daughter and she realized the action would have negative consequences for her.

Lemme put it this way: The point you're trying to make is meaningless if you surround it with easily proven false information.

As for the original topic, I neither hate nor like Autism Speaks. I try to be fair (and honest) about it though. I do believe that they're doing a service by spreading some kind of education. If you don't like the message either:
1) Join a different group with a message closer to yours and aid your cause, or
2) STFU. If you're not willing to put in more effort than complaining on an internet message board then I don't think you really care.

As for the topic of "cure", I do think the idea of brain surgery should be investigated for those who want it. Surgery has become more common for those with epilepsy. Some studies have shown differences in the brain shape or firings among autistics. If science were able to find a way through surgery to change that (thus changing brain behavior) maybe they could make life more enjoyable for some autistics.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:27 pm

Autism can't be sugically corrected the way that epilepsy and brain surgery can so you can't make any real comparisons there.

It may be due to damaged genes or cells and this being far too pervasive or complex with regard to any sort of corrective procedure. Good luck to them if they can find one.

There is an emotional dynamic as well that those of us also have with people who want to destroy, drive off bridges, etc. I barely survived myself due to a more extreme version of the same thing, so people do have a right here to acknowledge.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 9:03 am

I wonder where she gets this 6 figure salary from? Donations made by desperate parents maybe? There is no way that brain surgery could ever be an option for autistic people because it would probably cause more damage than it would fix. Epilepsy, strokes, blood clots, brain damage and extra fluid on the brain to mention a few potential problems... Besides, even the most disabled can live happily if given a lot of help and protection (I know, I live with some REALLY disabled people here at college).

t0
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 10:41 am

aspiartist wrote:
Autism can't be sugically corrected the way that epilepsy and brain surgery can so you can't make any real comparisons there.

Jellybean wrote:
There is no way that brain surgery could ever be an option for autistic people because it would probably cause more damage than it would fix. Epilepsy, strokes, blood clots, brain damage and extra fluid on the brain to mention a few potential problems...

Either of you have a link or reference? Has a single study been done? As I mentioned, surgery is an option for some epileptics. I've read message boards where epileptics indicate that they're not cured by the surgery but that it can drasticly reduce seizures and greatly improve standard of living and independence. I'm not saying this is the solution for autistics, I'm saying that it's a possibility that should be studied.

Jellybean wrote:
I wonder where she gets this 6 figure salary from? Donations made by desperate parents maybe?

Autism Speaks is a multi-million dollar charity. They run many fund-raisers each year. They have many donors and I doubt they all can be grouped into a single category.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 2:19 pm

We need to launch a protest against Autism $peaks. Get our signs made, go to any place that supports A$, and picket them. I know many of us don't enjoy that kind of thing but if it's the only way we can make ourselves heard without doing anything violent or illegal, then so be it!

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 7:45 am

I agree with lostonearth. I've been saying this for YEARS, but either I was too busy to get people interested, or nobody was interested.

This is an old thread, and Alex has since sold out to Autism Speaks, but I'm glad you bumped it.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 9:00 pm

I don't agree that Alex has sold out to Autism Speaks. For a time, he, along with John Elder and Jack Robison tried to change attitudes from within. This included taking their money for his Autism Talk TV. That money might've otherwise been spent on more hateful rhetoric, cure research, abusive therapy, or who knows what.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?t=267060&hilit=+autism+speaks

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2015, 9:48 pm

Asterisp wrote:
A bit less black/white could be used in such a discussion. It is becoming too much a dogma.

Pushing children can help them, but only to a certain limit. Pushing too far will result in traumas and hate, not pushing will result in children not using their potentials. I think a little pushing works, but only in with enough help and a proper environment. Expecting the children to be geniuses and winners will certainly work not! But labelling them as guaranteed losers won't help either.

But all children should be loved and valued, even if their talents are not always visible.

Couldn't agree more.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2015, 7:13 pm

I've recently been made aware of a support group for partners of autistics run by a psychologist and author named Kathy Marshack. Apparently she advocates intentionally causing meltdowns in order to win favor in divorce litigations. I'm trying to learn more about her organization but it is closed to autistics. My understanding is that it is a kind of hate group.

My hope is that future generations of autistics will be able to live in world less poisoned by hate and fear by people like Kathy Marshack and organizations like Autism Speaks. My husband and I hope to have a baby in the next few years and given that we are both autistic it is likely that our child will be as well. I can only hope for a more tolerant world for our future child.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 6:14 am

Agemaki wrote:
I've recently been made aware of a support group for partners of autistics run by a psychologist and author named Kathy Marshack. Apparently she advocates intentionally causing meltdowns in order to win favor in divorce litigations. I'm trying to learn more about her organization but it is closed to autistics. My understanding is that it is a kind of hate group.

My hope is that future generations of autistics will be able to live in world less poisoned by hate and fear by people like Kathy Marshack and organizations like Autism Speaks. My husband and I hope to have a baby in the next few years and given that we are both autistic it is likely that our child will be as well. I can only hope for a more tolerant world for our future child.

And she claims that we're the abusive ones? Intentionally causing meltdowns is abusive behaviour, so that means that she advocates abuse against autistics. I've known about Kathy Marshack for a number of years, there's another thread about her here:

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=286104

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 11:38 am

It also pisses me off when one AS person is described as much more able than another especially if they have an almost identical thinking learning style and the thoughts are highly intelligent.