Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How many people here with ASDs have tics?
Have them, frequently or regularly 46%  46%  [ 22 ]
Have them, with strongly varying frequency or regularity 38%  38%  [ 18 ]
Had them in the past, not right now or not anymore 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Never had tics 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 48

TrojanPower83
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2008, 2:50 am

Its funny, I talked to a psychiatrist and he thought I had tourettes syndrome instead of Asperger's. I was like what the hell? I do do ticks but I can control them when I'm with another person and am talking to them. Problem is, when I'm alone, I can't help but to clear my throat, blink my eyes, breathe in a special way that feels good, stuff like that... Is that stimming or is it tourettes? Funny thing is I'm on anti anxiety medicine that should stop the ticks if tourettes is causing it...

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:25 am

I have neck jerking and facial tics. There are a couple of other things that I'm not sure if are tics or something else.

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2008, 1:08 pm

I dont know if this qualifies as a tic or not but there are times whenever I try to calm down or forget a bad memory that I say random things aloud without realizing it. I think this is whenever I am stressed but it happens RANDOMLY and the words never make sense.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2008, 11:19 pm

I am a swallowerl, throat clearer and have a heavy breathing tic. I didn't realise they were common tics till now. From what's been hinted I might even hum unconciously...Anyone had this one?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:26 pm

Well, I sniff so much people ask if I have a cold... I'm not sure this could be classified as one or not - but I've done this for years, throughout school people would be adamant of the fact that I had a cold 8O

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:16 am

Keith wrote:
Well, I sniff so much people ask if I have a cold... I'm not sure this could be classified as one or not - but I've done this for years, throughout school people would be adamant of the fact that I had a cold 8O

I do THAT a lot also. I know I did it before the age of 6, and do today also.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 7:11 am

am have both verbal and physical tics,though theyre always related to something bad thats going on,without that 'bad',am don't tic.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:47 am

I have a frequent tic in my left eyebrow, usually at night. I also frequently have a tic in my right calf muscle. In the past I have also had tics in both my eyelids.

Very annoying.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 8:50 am

I have tics, it depends on the situation how regularly and intense they are. If I am tired my tics get stronger and more noticeable.

willzzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2008, 9:10 am

Well technically they could be either stimming or tics but usually I have an urge to stim sometimes. An unusual urge to move after being sedentary for a while and hand motions.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2008, 7:21 am

I sometimes have tics when I'm cold or nervous. I twitch my neck and shoulders and hands and make squeaking noises, which sound a bit like sneezes or hiccups.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 8:40 am

I have both motor and vocal tics and I have motor tics with much greater regularity. I have been diagnosed with TS since I was a child

Jayman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2008, 10:41 am

I have tourette's. Just to clarify, when you have vocal and motor tics it is tourette's but when it is only one or the other then it is most likely just a tic.

Matto

23 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm

I have tics of all sorts, but I haven't been diagnosed w/ Tourettes

Facial:
I blink a lot. Sometimes when I close my eyes, I roll my eyes under my eyelids. Not sure why I do that. If I even see someone blink I tic crazily because I hate looking in people's eyes.

Motor:
I shrug my shoulders. I do it so much that I won't move them for hours after I do the tic too much.
I jerk my head in a circle (like in Phys. Ed Exercises). This has gotten me hurt a few times.

Vocal:
I make a high pitched squeaking/hiccuping noise. I did it for years and don't understand why.

My parents used to ask me like "Are you okay?" and my classmates + my girlfriend think "Is he having a seizure?" I hated when I would tic.