Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2008
Age:26
Posts: 1,084
Location: Chicago

17 Aug 2008, 6:45 pm

they were talking about it with him on nbc



JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2006
Age:27
Posts: 11,120
Location: Woodbridge, VA

17 Aug 2008, 9:20 pm

I actually noticed it with his interview Spitz and Bob after winning his seventh Gold Medal.


_________________
"You are the stars and the world is watching you. By your presence you send a message to every village, every city, every nation. A message of hope. A message of victory."- Eunice Kennedy Shriver


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2006
Age:25
Posts: 31,060
Location: Portland, Oregon

17 Aug 2008, 9:30 pm

Does Michael Phelps stim? :?


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2008
Age:33
Posts: 164

17 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

Yeah I heard that and i was like "YES!! !" Another point for our side. lol But that could explain why he's so fast in the pool. :) He has to get rid of all that extra energy somehow.



velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

User avatar

Joined: 16 Mar 2008
Age:55
Posts: 1,565

17 Aug 2008, 9:50 pm

Yes ^^^ it apparently doesn't keep him from kicking ass.



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2007
Age:25
Posts: 13,715
Location: Room 101

17 Aug 2008, 10:20 pm

Fossy wrote:
Yeah I heard that and i was like "YES!! !" Another point for our side. lol But that could explain why he's so fast in the pool. :) He has to get rid of all that extra energy somehow.

Our side? People are people, aren't they? I don't see the world as some type of battle between autistics and NTs. And even if it were, how is ADHD on the Aspie side? I know plenty of people with ADHD in varying severities and they seem closer to neurotypical than they do to Aspie.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2008
Age:26
Posts: 1,084
Location: Chicago

17 Aug 2008, 10:46 pm

I have ADHD and AS
Hooray for me!
I behave like a mix between Jerry Lewis and an eccentric astrophysicist.



Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2008
Age:33
Posts: 164

17 Aug 2008, 10:54 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fossy wrote:
Yeah I heard that and i was like "YES!! !" Another point for our side. lol But that could explain why he's so fast in the pool. :) He has to get rid of all that extra energy somehow.

Our side? People are people, aren't they? I don't see the world as some type of battle between autistics and NTs. And even if it were, how is ADHD on the Aspie side? I know plenty of people with ADHD in varying severities and they seem closer to neurotypical than they do to Aspie.


You kinda took my comment a little too seriously..... :oops: And ADD is considered a mild form of autism by many people. But yeah you took my comment too seriously. I wasn't meaning to sound as you thought I sounded. I was just meaning that this would help people not see it as a handicap.



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2007
Age:25
Posts: 13,715
Location: Room 101

17 Aug 2008, 11:19 pm

Fossy wrote:
You kinda took my comment a little too seriously..... :oops: And ADD is considered a mild form of autism by many people. But yeah you took my comment too seriously. I wasn't meaning to sound as you thought I sounded. I was just meaning that this would help people not see it as a handicap.

Oh, sorry... :oops: I can tend to take things literally sometimes. But yeah, I see your point now. But still, just having someone with a mental "disorder" succeed in athletics doesn't do much to bolster our credibility. If a dxed Aspie or ADHDer were to win a Nobel prize or something, that might be a bit better. Oh wait, Vernon Smith already did that and no one cares. :?


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 15,264
Location: Bandon-by-the-Sea, OR 97411

18 Aug 2008, 1:23 am

MartyMoose wrote:
I have ADHD and AS
Hooray for me!
I behave like a mix between Jerry Lewis and an eccentric astrophysicist.


:lol: :lol: and the funniest part is I can picture it so clearly in my mind! :lol: :lol:


_________________
Alis volat propriis
State Motto of Oregon


JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2006
Age:27
Posts: 11,120
Location: Woodbridge, VA

18 Aug 2008, 3:29 am

MartyMoose wrote:
I have ADHD and AS
Hooray for me!
I behave like a mix between Jerry Lewis and an eccentric astrophysicist.

I have ADHD and AS as well here.


_________________
"You are the stars and the world is watching you. By your presence you send a message to every village, every city, every nation. A message of hope. A message of victory."- Eunice Kennedy Shriver


Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2008
Age:33
Posts: 164

18 Aug 2008, 10:44 am

I was actually only really diagnosed with ADD (not the hyperactivity kind though) when I was 8. I have never been diagnosed with HFA or Aspergers but I'm pretty sure I have one or the other. My brother has Aspergers so I have become more familiar with it lately. I always knew there was something more wrong with me than just ADD because I went to a school for kids with ADD and I was much more distant and withdrawn than them. I was basically like a deaf mute in high school.



sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 15,264
Location: Bandon-by-the-Sea, OR 97411

18 Aug 2008, 11:52 am

I wonder if people think that ADHD is 'natural' instead of some genetic 'doping'?


_________________
Alis volat propriis
State Motto of Oregon


9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2007
Posts: 5,893

19 Aug 2008, 8:01 pm

I was diagnosed as hyperactive as a little girl. I think it was a misdiagnosis and that AS fits me much better.

ADD and ADHD seem to be commonly diagnosed in people who have become prominent athletes and Olympic gold medalists. I haven't heard of anyone with AS who became an Olympic gold medalist, but Paavo Nurmi and Roger Bannister had strong AS tendencies.



Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Age:25
Posts: 1,317
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

20 Aug 2008, 5:51 pm

I thinks its possible he is on the spectrum.


Many diagnosed with ADHD are actually on the spectrum whether actually having AS or even milder just being on the spectrum ( some doctors speculate wether add/hd should be considered on the spectrum.) I think its sort of like a an intersecting spectrum where many with add/hd are on the spectrum but not all.

but micheal phelps i think may be on it . I need to know more imformation him but just from this video of him you can tell he has some charecteristics


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKm8d5A1FuM[/youtube]


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7BlRB_yEtk&feature=related[/youtube]



Last edited by Ravenclawgurl on 20 Aug 2008, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.