Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 12:23 pm

I wear old clothes only at home where nobody can see me, after all. For example now I'm dressed in a sweatshirt which I remember, I had at least nine years ago and red trousers from a secondhand store (with a darned hole on the left leg and having problems with its fly).

But I still have some good clothes which I can safely wear even in the street and which were worn by me in primary school (I graduated 9 years ago) a skirt, two dresses, a shirt, a pair of violet trousers, two pairs of shorts and maybe three blouses.

I have also many things bought in secondhand shops so I have no idea how old they can be.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 10:41 pm

I don't get why anyone would just buy clothes for the sake of buying them. That's something that I can't wrap my head around. I buy clothes when my old ones fall completely apart, and often times, my old raggedy clothes are recycled to being pajamas, and cleaning clothes. What's even worse, is that recently I've began to realize that when I replace my old clothes I'll subconsciously buy almost the same exact article of clothing. My closet looks like superman's closet. :lol: I'm really trying to break that habit, because I don't want people to think that I wear the same two outfits everyday when in reality they're all separate pieces of clothing that look alike.

Myles17
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm

Absolutely not, I always buy new clothes. I am so socially ret*d, that it helps me to make friends.. and I like to keep up with fashion. The only thing that keeps me from shopping is social anxiety. But i wear my mp3 player when i go to buy clothes, and I've learned to just grab a pile and try them on. Sometimes what looks bad on the hanger will look good on me when i try it on. Back to the question. I do wear "old" clothes when i sleep. but they are only like 2-3 months old. I usually throw my old clothes away, but if they are nice enough I give them to goodwill.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2017, 5:44 am

I would never consider a few months old clothes "old" :D
I prefer a neutral, classic style, so I don't need to care much about the fashion. For everyday use I choose comfortable outfit, often from trekking stores - the advantage of working in a non-dress-code profession :D - and use them until they are totally worn out. There are styles I like more than others but I would never give up comfort for style.
For formal ocasions I keep in my wardrobe the most universal, classic and fitting to everything items I could find.

I can imagine that one can love the style and fashion but my preference is just not to be bothered by what I wear ;)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 7:47 pm

I like to get a good wear out of my clothes. I have some which are around ten years old and I still wear them. I like wearing new clothes but old clothes are nice also. They feel great.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jul 2017, 5:03 am

I wear cloths till they have big holes or a lot of holes because I don't like spending the money on new cloths & don't really do anything where I need to look nice. When I buy new cloths I buy the same brands & type that I have.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm

I used to buy my pants new, because I liked a particular fashion in pockets that worked great for my bike lock. A year after my last such purchase I returned to the store to complain. I hadn't prepared a speech, so when the clerk asked what was wrong with them, I just blurted out "They don't cover me anymore." Being oblivious to fashion is, at least, a great economy.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

My clothes are 5-20 years old (and most were hand-me-downs when I got them!) I own about 5 t-shirts, 3 pairs of pants, 1 pair of shoes, a few sweaters, a lot of them are old and raggedy but I find them comfortable.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 3:18 pm

I have both old and "new" clothes. Some of my favorite ones have holes in them (but not many - I can sew so I fix them or change them into something else) and are about 10 years old but I am on constant hunt for "new" comfortable clothes. "New" because I buy them in secondhands, cheap and washed a few times already so they are not so rough anymore.
I like shopping if it means buying a "new" favorite t-shirt for about 1$. :lol:
Just recently I bought a tank top for about 1,5$ made of real silk. I think it will be one of my favorites because it is very comfortable and I don't feel heat in it.