Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 7:44 am

Why is it that, to my knowledge, it is AS with a co morbid, of lets say, Bipolar?
Why isn't it Bipolar with a co morbid of AS?

I have often found my so called manic to over ride some of the more common supposed aspie traits.
So severity being used as the primary? Doesn't really make sense in some cases.
I do think this could cause some serious problems in getting proper diagnosis.
I'm not really sure switching it around would matter all that much.
But since it seems to be the general format here,
I'm going to make a leap of judgement and say it's the way the medical community looks at it too.
Bipolar is but one example. ADHD, OCD, etc......

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:56 am

I've never liked the term co-morbid anyway. It is too medical sounding, and makes both autism and whatever the other thing is sound like diseases.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 4:21 pm

Yeah, I've never liked labels to much either, but, sometimes you need words to at least try and give others some form of reference to things going on. In this case I don't mind the co-morbid link to much. I think the word morbid sometimes lends itself wrong to some folks. Like it lends a death sentence to it, but ti really doesn't, but sure sounds it when it rolls of the tongue.

I may have screwed up this heading for this post or no one has an opinion, which I find odd for this site, no one knows, which again I find odd for this site, no one cares, repeat the before, or what I'm getting at is right and it maybe wrong, but that was my question to begin with. Could be other reasons I'm just not aware of.

I don't like polls too much, reminds me of tests, not enough options as most are poorly done. But in this case I may reconsider that.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 5:15 pm

postpaleo wrote:
I have often found my so called manic to over ride some of the more common supposed aspie traits.

I have found the same thing. But when it happens, it feels really strange later, when I'm back to being more balanced. Almost like 'was that me??' One example of this is that I get an urge to talk to friends/family all the time. I have a desperate wish for company that would usually be so alien. If I could stick like that I would become known as the life and soul of the party. Very out of character. AS me hates parties, lol.

Which comes first...interesting question. My gut feeling is the AS, only because I was AS as a kid, and didn't have mood swings. But when you have both and you're going for a diagnosis...as I say, interesting question.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 5:26 pm

Starr wrote:
postpaleo wrote:

I have found the same thing. But when it happens, it feels really strange later, when I'm back to being more balanced. Almost like 'was that me??' One example of this is that I get an urge to talk to friends/family all the time. I have a desperate wish for company that would usually be so alien. If I could stick like that I would become known as the life and soul of the party. Very out of character. AS me hates parties, lol.

Which comes first...interesting question. My gut feeling is the AS, only because I was AS as a kid, and didn't have mood swings. But when you have both and you're going for a diagnosis...as I say, interesting question.

Thanks. That's one of the harder parts about all of this. I thought I was normal when I was young and still think I am, the labels are there to be sure, but it's still me. It's hard to go back in time and try to observe yourself. No one around to give me a hand with that task. So I pick it up where it first became more obvious. More then likely getting a bit extreme, more into the potential PTSD range that can come along for the ride later. More interaction or lack of with others.

Bring the possibility of genetics into this and again, which came first. Some of the others outside of the spectrum are currently thought to be possibly genetic as well.