Do you always like to say the same stuff over again?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:05 am

One problem I have is that I always like to say the same stuff over again whenever I talk to people because I always have nothing else to say.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:17 am

yep...
I will reiterate the same fact over and over again...it takes me multiple times to feel I have gotten the point across...

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:24 am

Same with me. Also crosses over into music. I will become fixated on a particular song and play it over and over again sometimes dozens of times because it makes me feel good.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2008, 9:52 am

Yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep sorry about that :lol:

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 1:30 pm

Yes. its fun

Kellindil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2008, 4:15 pm

My friends tell me that I have a bad habit of repeating stories.

cavac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2008, 5:12 pm

Yep, i'll do that as well.

But in my case it might be more of a learned behaviour than the AS taking control.

I'm working as software developer and system administrator. Given that i also have to explain basic things to people (like 'the power button turns it on.Why? Because...'), i make a habit of re-iterating the facts until the stupid looks turn into... well, mostly not so stupid ones, i'm afraid (dealing with upper managment may also require the generous use of colorfull powerpoint displays that hold the exact same info i'm re-telling them for hours complete with made-up stats generated from arbitrary numbers)

vt420
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2008, 10:10 pm

Oh god yes.....

Especially if I think that I wasn't responded to well enough in the first place.

Actually a lot of the time, I don't really realize I'm doing it in the moment.

I know there are people that have heard the same stories, and same exact ideas hundreds of times from me.

I also know it bugs the heck out of some people.

I do it more when I'm really upset.

Jeff

Scotty1

27 Aug 2008, 1:30 pm

Yes. Me too. Perhaps I should start talking by saying "Did I ever tell you about...."

vt420

27 Aug 2008, 2:57 pm

Scotty1 wrote:
Yes. Me too. Perhaps I should start talking by saying "Did I ever tell you about...."

I do that... and then don't wait for an answer and tell it again anyway... oops

Jeff

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2008, 3:13 pm

I call all my teachers and bosses, "Captain." I call all my male bartenders, "Boss" and my female bartenders "Missy". I call all waitresses, waiters, clerks, ect. "Friend" and all random people on the street, "Brother." Whenever I'm enthusiastic about something I say "Rock On" and make the associated hand gesture.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

The only person I could ever call a "friend" at school (and I consider her more so an aquaintence) talks to me fairly consistant, in two of our classes. A little at the beginning, a little at the end. If it's slow or we're working together, a little in between. Our conversations are never serious. It's either the common "small-talk" questions such as "How are you?" or "How was your weekend?" and whenever we talk about anything else, it's almost always the same three or four stories of hers. Not saying I dislike her, it's just that I don't know much more to talk about. And a few times when I tried to talk about other things (such as favorite bands or even some deeper questions) in attempt to be more social, it didn't go so well. So now I just keep things sort of repetative so that our conversations are smooth and less akward.

Thornheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2008, 12:09 am

I tend to do this. I want their reactions but if they don't react then I repeat it to make sure they heard me and then they tell me to stop repeating myself.

GuyTypingOnComputer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2008, 4:47 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
yep...
I will reiterate the same fact over and over again...it takes me multiple times to feel I have gotten the point across...

Thornheart wrote:
I tend to do this. I want their reactions but if they don't react then I repeat it to make sure they heard me and then they tell me to stop repeating myself.

Ditto. When I am in a conversation, I am usually trying to convey information to another person that I want that person to understand (as opposed to small talk or other social bonding). I don't notice it at the time, but I will repeat myself until I get some sort of confirmation that the other person understands.

I have gotten better over the years at making my point and moving on, but this takes a conscious effort on my part.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 11:14 am

Yeah I certainly do, or repeat words I found funny which someone would have said about 30 minutes ago.