Breathing reminder (for breathing tics)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 3:03 pm

This...
...will hopefully save me from a few headaches.

It's an MP3 player that came 'free' with an eBay purchase a while ago which I haven't really needed to use until now (I have a 40GB Creative Zen Touch which is quite big and is a HDD so is fairly fragile).

Using Sound Forge, I generated a triangle wave at 900Hz for 0.12 seconds (a short 'beep'), followed by a minute of silence, saved it and put it onto this small, cheap MP3 player, set it to 'repeat track' and voila! instant reminder to breathe properly! :lol:

I'm wearing it now and it does help. Doesn't stop the tic altogether, but it helps to remember to concentrate on it in order to try breathing properly.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2008, 6:22 pm

Greyhound wrote:
This...
...will hopefully save me from a few headaches.

It's an MP3 player that came 'free' with an eBay purchase a while ago which I haven't really needed to use until now (I have a 40GB Creative Zen Touch which is quite big and is a HDD so is fairly fragile).

Using Sound Forge, I generated a triangle wave at 900Hz for 0.12 seconds (a short 'beep'), followed by a minute of silence, saved it and put it onto this small, cheap MP3 player, set it to 'repeat track' and voila! instant reminder to breathe properly! :lol:

I'm wearing it now and it does help. Doesn't stop the tic altogether, but it helps to remember to concentrate on it in order to try breathing properly.

what is your breathing tic? I hadn't ever thought of this but I find myself having to sometimes remind myself to breathe correctly or more deeply than I am...which sounds so ridiculous....but is that what you mean? ...i'm interested to know....I do get headaches frequently too..

thanks

:bounce:

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2008, 6:49 pm

I'm curious too because I breathe so shallowly that all of the sudden I have to take a huge breath to make up for it. I wonder what that's all about. Please tell us about yours :) (I've actually had people say "breathe" because they observe me as not breathing because I'm doing it so shallowly)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 6:58 pm

nettiespaghetti wrote:
I'm curious too because I breathe so shallowly that all of the sudden I have to take a huge breath to make up for it. I wonder what that's all about. Please tell us about yours :) (I've actually had people say "breathe" because they observe me as not breathing because I'm doing it so shallowly)

I've noticed that since I had surgery on my aortic stem. The doctor said it was normal! :lol:

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2008, 7:00 pm

Well that's good! I mean, I haven't stopped breathing yet or anything :)

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm

Greyhound wrote:

This is NOT a HDD. This looks completely electronic. I think you may have meant that it's also storage media (I think the term flash drive is inappropriate)

I hope it helps you resolve your head-ache problem

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 7:10 pm

Keith wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

This is NOT a HDD. This looks completely electronic. I think you may have meant that it's also storage media (I think the term flash drive is inappropriate)

I hope it helps you resolve your head-ache problem

Keith,

40GB flash, last I knew were RARE and, technically, AREN'T fragile! ALSO, WHY would they waste 24GB? It is IMPOSSIBLE to make a 40GB flash unless you go to some extra trouble, etc... I don't think anyone will do it. So you go from the 16GB which will hopefully be popular in a year to 32GB to 64GB. 40GB HDD are COMMON and ARE fragile! The HDD aren't as predictable in density as the flash, and aren't even TRULY 40GB. ALSO, the "Creative Zen Touch" DO have HDDs! And WHAT exactly is a component having an HDD supposed to "look like"? About the ONLY hint I have ever seen is that they are generally over about 1" by 1/8"! You see, THAT is why HDDs are used, and the 40GB are so common today. They are RIDICULOUSLY tiny compared to even a decade ago.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:17 pm

Keith wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

I'm pretty sure he meant that the 40 GB Creative Zen Touch is a harddrive (it is), and not the mp3 player he is using for his cues.

I hope this works out for you, Greyhound. I've made repeating cues for myself before- one for eye contact, and one to slow my speech rate. They worked pretty well.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 4:19 am

As with most tics, my breathing tics are difficult to explain fully, but I'll try. My breathing tics tend to go with my other tics. They didn't used to, but now my tics can feel less satisfactory without them. My breathing tics are sort of making a dull 'clicking' (although clicking isn't really the right word) sound in my throat - my diaphragm and throat work together in the breathing tics. Also, I can be stuck in a holding-my-breath-out state which still doing this little dull 'clicks' in my throat (I doubt anyone else can hear them). Sometimes with little breaths in between them (so that I don't completely faint or die!). Sometimes my breathing will just go really shallow, as some of you have mentioned that you experience. I'm not really sure if it's always tics causing this, because I'm not aware of what's going on, only that sometimes I'm hardly breathing. So yes, it's almost like I keep forgetting to breathe.

As for the HDD, what I meant was I'd hardly used this MP3 player before because it has far too small a capacity for my needs - I already have a 40GB Creative Zen Touch BUT I'd rather not use that for the breathing reminder as it's fragile (due to it having a hard disk drive (HDD)). The one shown here is a cheap 256MB portable solid state (PSS) player which is less fragile and more portable, especially if I need to use it in bed.

Also, I just realised yesterday that this MP3 player has an A-B setting so to shorten the amount of silence (and therefore increase the frequency of the beep) then just before the beep you can set point A and then decide when you want the next beep and set point B. It will then cut off some of the silence at the end, making the beep more frequent.

I hope that answers all your questions :) If not, then please ask :D

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)