Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DJDizzy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2008, 11:15 am

is high school really worth doing? I have been there for a couple of days, including an intro-trip and i really hate it.
I feel like i don't fit in ANYWHERE, anyone else got the same problem?

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2008, 1:54 pm

Although my high school days were many years ago, I identified immediately with what you had to say. Any point to it- my feelings exactly. At the time I felt like I was in a legally and parentally mandated holding tank until I could graduate and start my education. I never belonged or had real friends or a social life in high school, but by that time I'd gotten used to being the square peg in the round hole and valued my independent mind and my time alone. Teachers either loved me or hated me, according to my interest or disinterest in their classes.
You are a unique person- don't ever lose sight of that. And your school, sausage factory that it is, is a unique environment. Some of your teachers are there because they can't do anything else and, well, it's a living. But others started teaching with a dream- and that dream may have been to encounter such a student as you. Popularity may evade you, but the popular kids are usually airheads- would you really want to be like them? Develop your interests and you might find others with the same interests.
It's just been a few days- relax, and be open to opportunities. And take advantage of all the resources your school has to offer outside of classtime- the library, art rooms, science labs, gym (ugh, but some people like it)- and remember it's just four years. That might seem like forever now, but you have your whole life to get over it! Good luck!

DJDizzy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2008, 1:56 pm

the thing is, i am not required to go to highschool since i live in denmark and its only 3 years

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 12:54 pm

DJDizzy wrote:
is high school really worth doing? I have been there for a couple of days, including an intro-trip and i really hate it.

It's been a long time for me too, but I felt the same way. I was on outcast in high school, I just wasn't interested in what everyone else way. Too much conformism.

If you want to go to university and in many cases trade school, a diploma is a necessity. In many places though, there are alternatives to traditional high school, like independent study, online school, or homeschooling. I wish I could have done one of those things instead when I was in high school. The academics I could hack just fine, just all the petty social crap I couldn't stand. Alternatives would have freed me of that nonsense.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 4:24 pm

DJDizzy wrote:
the thing is, i am not required to go to highschool since i live in denmark and its only 3 years

What course/classes are you going to take?

DJDizzy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2008, 2:57 pm

sorry for the late reply, but i was taking technology/innovation, but i dropped out from high school once i realised i wasn't going to learn anything there.

Emlee2009
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2008, 2:38 am

well now that im a senior in high school I feel like why do I eve have to be in school, I mean I dont even have any friends to talk to and I feel so alone all the time, but Ive noticed a kid the same way as me who doesnt talk, I feel so bad for him he sits alone at lunch and he looks so lonely, doesnt even eat anything, sometimes I wish I could just go over and talk to him since he's the same way as me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:27 am

In the U.S., you are pretty much required to go to high school, and you need a high school diploma or GED to get even a menial job. You need at least a bachelor's degree to get anything good.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2008, 6:17 pm

Believe me, you'll like high school better than middle school.

In high school, people are typically more understanding. The Freshman year might be a little rough though, but most people feel awkward during their freshman year, even the "normal" kids.

I had my share of girl problems, stress issues, ext, but high school all in all wasn't that bad, my sophomore year was one of the best years of my life.

Myles17
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2008, 10:13 am

well, what will you do if you just leave highschool?...

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2008, 11:19 am

DJDizzy wrote:

Yes yes yes for the love of god yes. Unless your so street/people smart you KNOW you can get by just fine with out it. Honestly, the choice is yours and we need people to operate our fast food joints and mop floors so do what you want.

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2008, 2:41 am

Yeah high school sucks s@#$. But unless you just made a music gig and are sure you're set for life, man it out and graduate. I can tell you the amount of friends I got in college multiplied beyond my wildest dreams.