Do more rare nerdy girls think their superior to nerdy guys?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ProtossX
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2008, 12:22 pm

I keep seeing this superiority complex from nerdy girls who think there somehow more unique because theres less of them out there then nerdy guys?

I mean just cause you're less abundant does not make u better then anyone imo i don't even like talking to nerdy girls cuz they come off with a huge ego that normal girls just don't have and are more laid back an chill.

Most of the nerdy girls seem to think there input means more an that they should be the center of attention among nerdy guys and im not going to give that to them i'll take a regular girl neday over a nerdy girl

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 6:22 pm

Nerdy women do less to make themselves noticed in general than most women (this undoubtedly applies to nerdy men too). In computer science classes, for example, women may feel a bit important because the female:male ratio works strongly in their favor, but I've never noticed a correlation with attitude that applies to most nerdy women across most situations.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 6:26 pm

I would've said quite the opposite, nerdier girls I've known have had major inferiority/self-esteem issues.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:12 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
I would've said quite the opposite, nerdier girls I've known have had major inferiority/self-esteem issues.

That's inherent to the entire nerd demographic. It's more pronounced in women because theres far fewer, and many nerd men (myself included at times) tend to disregard the nerd women because "women can't be nerds"...

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:20 pm

Women can be nerds, though :D it's adorable.

I love a girl in glasses, too, on a similar note.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:39 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
Women can be nerds, though :D it's adorable.

I love a girl in glasses, too, on a similar note.

It's a fact that their glasses can steam up :wink:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 11:34 pm

I've always had a glasses fetish. 4 of the 5 women I've felt any real attraction (and by "real attraction" I mean more than just physically) to wore glasses at some point in their life... One of them wore these really thick glasses that you could distinguish from a block away. It was quite cute actually...

Come to think of it, to me glasses represent quite a few things in my life. As I was growing up, the only people in my family that didn't wear glasses were me and my brother. That sort of made me feel excluded by that fact, and subsequently I began to see glasses as a sign of adulthood (keep in mind this was while I was growing up). Second, since glasses are often seen as something of a negative in the public's eye (often contacts are preferred by most women), the fact that a woman wears them means that she less concerned about her outward appearance, which in turn is a sign of having more depth of character than some other women, which is something I like...

One other thing: I know that glasses are an important factor in how attracted I become, since one of the girls (at the time we were 14) that I (awkwardly) fell in love with wore glasses, but many years later she got contacts and my attraction to her leveled off (didn't go away entirely, but wasn't as prominent).

kerrissteen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2008, 1:46 am

i don't know how negatively perceived wearing glasses is anymore... especially in the last few years it's become all trendy like to wear glasses and look "intellectual"... all the wannabe art school kids and hipsters are wearing them these days... same with cardigans and check shirts... sigh...

i remember being all excited getting my first pair of glasses when i was 11 and also when i got braces! :D

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 4:15 am

kerrissteen wrote:
i don't know how negatively perceived wearing glasses is anymore... especially in the last few years it's become all trendy like to wear glasses and look "intellectual"... all the wannabe art school kids and hipsters are wearing them these days... same with cardigans and check shirts... sigh...

i remember being all excited getting my first pair of glasses when i was 11 and also when i got braces! :D

Yes it is funny that people are wearing the same NHS plastic frames that I couldn't get rid of when I was a kid, but to be authentic then really need the sellotape from when you sit on them. Although they not all bumping into each other because the lenses aren’t real.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 5:43 am

Depends on the person, I'd guess. However, if I am for the sake of argument to accept your theory, my explanations would be as follows.

First one, that women don't always get taken seriously in "nerdy" domains. I didn't want to believe this at first, but unfortunately, there IS an attitude sometimes of "women don't know crap about technology." Thankfully, with anime and other gender-neutral nerdy activities, the numbers of female nerds are increasing, but still, there is some sexism, in some aspects of geekdom. Just like any smaller group that doesn't get taken seriously by the rest, it's easy to become resentful and want to prove oneself, sometimes in a snarky or not entirely pleasant manner.

The other theory is that, as many nerdy girls might have social awkwardness or outright AS as many nerdy guys do, bluntness and other stereotypically "unfeminine" behaviors might be more prevalent in geeky girls than in the general female population, and because this behavior flies in the face of expectations of what girls are supposed to be like, it's even more noticeable than in geeky guys.

In both cases, it seems stereotypes and expectations about gender cause more harm than good. Yet another reason to get rid of the damn categories already.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2008, 1:27 pm

'Nuff said. :P

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 1:40 pm

ProtossX wrote:
I keep seeing this superiority complex from nerdy girls who think there somehow more unique because theres less of them out there then nerdy guys?

I mean just cause you're less abundant does not make u better then anyone...

Better? Maybe not. "More Unique"? Technically, yes.

Quote:
i don't even like talking to nerdy girls cuz they come off with a huge ego that normal girls just don't have and are more laid back an chill.

Most of the nerdy girls seem to think there input means more an that they should be the center of attention among nerdy guys and im not going to give that to them i'll take a regular girl neday over a nerdy girl

ok. your choice.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 4:12 am

I think they just don't like you because you think that autism is 100% genetic.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 4:17 am

ProtossX wrote:

I mean just cause you're less abundant does not make u better then anyone imo i don't even like talking to nerdy girls cuz they come off with a huge ego that normal girls just don't have and are more laid back an chill.

Wow well not sure if I fit the exact qualifications of a nerd but I would say there is an inferiority complex going on rather than the latter after reading similar threads of yours in terms of girls.

Not sure about this ego you're talking about. I've seen "nerdy" girls wearing glasses that got picked just the same as anyone that didn't fit the criteria of looking or fitting into the "social hierachy" in highschool. So don't think there's a huge difference myself.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

Naturally, most girls are attracted to guys who are better than them : bigger, taller, stronger, smarter, more confident, more successful , more straightforward...in other term prefer a guy who can lead the relationship.

Besides the natural instincts ,even the society and media encourages this tendency.

Nerd girls usually have self-esteem issues ...so they seek someone who can compensates this weakness. Two nerdy girls once told me that they prefer straightforward and confident guys because they are the quite opposite of them , so nerdy girls usually wait to asked by a confident guy , they do attract many confident guys because they seem to be easy targets (not easy as cheap but easy as they are more likely to accept a date without playing the 'hard to get' role).

Nerdy guys have the same weaknesses of nerdy girls , but they can't use the same tactic because they are the ones who should initiate .Nerdy guys can't easily date someone opposite as sociable girl because the sociable girl is probably taken , even if they try with nerdy girls they will probably lose due to the competition versus the sociable/confident guys and due to the fact that most nerdy girls prefer sociable guys .

Even the Nerdy guys who prefer/need sociable girls can't admit or show that they prefer/need a sociable girl (so she can compensate their weaknesses) because this will a sign of weakness ....and any early sign of weakness in males exposed to a female is a turn off to the female ,that's why many guys play the fake strong/confident/fearless role in first dates.

So in short, nerdy guys are middle-fingered by all sides.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 7:18 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Naturally, most girls are attracted to guys who are better than them : bigger, taller, stronger, smarter, more confident, more successful , more straightforward...in other term prefer a guy who can lead the relationship.

*SNORT*