Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:12 pm

I can smell plums :p

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:52 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Can anyone reading this smell water? I can, lol.

yes! and salt, too. Your post reminded me of an argument I had with my brother and father who told me I was lying about smelling salt. I begged them to let me try with my eyes closed to show them, but they weren't interested. then we went on to their favorite past time, teasing me about wanting to be a librarian, that I would never get a husband like Donna Reed as Mary after George 'was never born' in "It's A Wonderful Life".
But I digress. . .
Merle

wilbury
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2008, 5:23 pm

i love Autumn as well, the smell of it is wondeful & when the nights come dark early. strange i know, but i've always had a soft spot for that time of year, maybe more than summer. i like summer but its always raining here in the UK. i hate it when its bitterly cold though.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 5:58 pm

Quote:
Is it normal to be able to smell weather and seasons? Like do NTs do it?

I guess that is what I was getting at, I can smell everything. I love the smell of water. Remember when they had the Pepsi that was crystal clear? My chemistry teacher explained why it tastes the same and that it is because of our olfactory system affects our sense of taste but I didn't agree because the fizz was different and it smelled like Sprite more so than regular Pepsi. I even closed my eyes to see if it was just in my mind and it wasn't. Maybe it's more like smelling colors

Thanks for the responses. :D

heyjude
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2008, 11:58 am

Yes yes yes. Autumn is totally the best. But not for morbid reasons, I don't think, in my case. Wistful maybe. Or poignant. But not morbid. I teach and the only great thing about going back to work this week is thinking about Autumn: black tights, boots, jumpers, scarves. and, of course, leaves, mist mellow fruitfulness and all that jazz.

aintnowreck
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2008, 12:21 pm

Autumn is the best season, even though we have short days here and it's night by 16:00.

Music saved my life, musicians ruined it.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2008, 1:09 pm

I am so glad summer is ending. It always reminds me of the isolation of school holidays then the hell of having to go back to school and all the dread and torment it entails. forty years later i still am so glad summer is over. I love the smell of damper autumn days, how the sound travels differently, birdsong has new calls. Here in the uk the sunsets are better. From now till end Nov is the busiest time in my garden. The Robin shows himself agn. It can get too hot dogwalking in summer, after end Oct no threat from ticks or adders.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 2:39 pm

I do love the whole scent and concept. And I thoroughly appreciate the morbid concept of everything dying this time of year...

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:21 pm

You mean like decaying leaves? Yuck! My parents would force me to go on these stupid camping trips with them to this dumb campground. The whole place smelt of decaying vegetation and I would get naucious or get a headache whenever I smelled it. Which was all the time.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:50 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
You mean like decaying leaves? Yuck! My parents would force me to go on these stupid camping trips with them to this dumb campground. The whole place smelt of decaying vegetation and I would get naucious or get a headache whenever I smelled it. Which was all the time.

my parents would drag me off into the dusty fall to see the 'colors' and it was always mud scub oak and crushed dry leaves beneath the car wheels. It would shimmer golden in the air. I wheezed and sneezed and teared up, but was told 'you are just acting out, we don't have allergies in our family'. But I love the fall. . .and the cold rain and the wood fire heating up the house.

Merle

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 1:09 am

I'm sorry to hear that your parents dragged you outside to enjoy the weather. Allergies are in your head? Hmm...I wonder...

I like the smell of moldy leaves I guess, reminds me of the forest preserves in the morning. That is sort of morbid. Something about summer used to make me feel like I was supposed to be out having fun all the time and then fall comes and the party stops because they stay inside more and go back to school.

-Pythagoras

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 2:01 am

I love autumn. The scent of decaying plants and the feeling of a cool breeze is luscious. I like the way the leaves flutter around when I go out running. Besides, my birthday is in November.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 6:40 am

The scent I've always associated with Autumn is the wonderful (to me) smell of burning leaves. Of course we don't do that anymore, so that magical part of Fall is gone forever.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:05 am

Autistic Autumn topic

And Autumn is also existentially authentic. :D

In Canada we can still burn leaves and other garden bits. Most people burn them in their wood stoves.

An authentic season

Autumn is all that colour in death.
A cocoon is a capsule for all my whys.

Not a good moment for one's demise.

Yellow leaves pressed against those graying skies.
A cooler wind replaces my human breath.
Cackling geese with their honking cries.
A promise of summer is spreading lies.
Know this...Though mold and rot are a poor disguise,
This time of redemption is noble and wise.

8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:11 am

ed wrote:
The scent I've always associated with Autumn is the wonderful (to me) smell of burning leaves. Of course we don't do that anymore, so that magical part of Fall is gone forever.

oooohh I love the smell of burning leaves too, one of my favorite scents!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 12:51 pm

So many descriptive words here...
It seems as though that people who enjoy the scents of autumns write beautifully too.
I also love the smell of burning leaves and camp fires too.

-Pythagoras