Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RohrbachDS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2008, 8:39 pm

A lot of the time, when I don't think about what I'm going to say beforehand and just start talking, I realize I come up with what I want to say faster then I can get it out and my mouth tries to catch up. This often results in severely slurred speech. I was just wondering if anyone else has this trouble?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 8:40 pm

I do I do!

IRWEASEL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2008, 9:20 pm

Bahaha, I actually have "good" social skills but when people take me by surpise I speak gobble-de-gook.

"TOM! what did you get for your GCSE's?"

"abcbdefdgaf-er..... B's and C's"

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 9:22 pm

I can certainly relate.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 9:53 pm

Oh yeah, my brain goes so much faster than my mouth that I sound as though Im speaking about three different subjects in one sentence :D .

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:01 pm

Yeah, I've done that before.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:50 pm

Yes, when I'm excited I often get my tongue wrapped around my eyeteeth and can't see what I'm saying. :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 10:56 pm

Yeah, and my mouth doesn't express my brain articulately enough, either. I find this supremely frustrating. People regard me as less intelligent than I am simply because my verbal skills aren't up to the same level as my brain.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:00 pm

chamoisee wrote:
Yeah, and my mouth doesn't express my brain articulately enough, either. I find this supremely frustrating. People regard me as less intelligent than I am simply because my verbal skills aren't up to the same level as my brain.

What about your writing skills? They seem up to snuff.

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2008, 11:18 pm

Oh gods yes this happens to me every day, and it ends up making me stutter and or slur as everything tries to come out at once. I find it to be somewhat embarassing.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:25 pm

Yeah I do this, often I feel like my braine gos faster then my whole body and I cant keep up like when I do cleaning tasks and such. Though I gues it is not always bad.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:33 am

yes all the time. i can control it for a while but not long.

by the end of september we have a meeting. people from the research project i work in. i communicate with most of them by email and now i am supposed to talk to them. thats going to be tough two days to control my speech. they have a high opinion of me so far and i am afraid i might spoil it.

Last edited by tomamil on 02 Sep 2008, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 5:45 am

Funaho wrote:
Oh gods yes this happens to me every day, and it ends up making me stutter and or slur as everything tries to come out at once. I find it to be somewhat embarassing.
I have this problem too, especially when I get asked something unexpected. I can think better then I speak, and a lot of times I don't like to speak as its hard.

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Sep 2008, 5:54 am

My problem is that my brain seems to work more slowly than people expect in conversations. It takes a moment for it to get into gear, but nobody wants to wait for an answer. It's partly because I often don't really hear the words that people are saying straight off: I hear sounds which I have to play back in my head and work into words. So I have got into the habit of saying "yeah, I see" or whatever, automatically, when I haven't even digested what the person said. It's actually surprising how often that works. It's also ironic that people take the pause as a sign that I haven't been listening to them when actually, it's a sign that I have.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 9:36 am

Hi there,

Me too.

Liopleurodon wrote; "It's partly because I often don't really hear the words that people are saying straight off: I hear sounds which I have to play back in my head and work into words."
Quite often that's the case for me too. But what is that? A lack of concentration, being a bit off focus or other thoughts being in the way?

And....
Speaking is one thing, I write a lot (in my own language, mostly) and I get so frustrated sometimes by the fact I can't keep up with the stream of thoughts.

But I don't think this is a very typical AS or HFA thing. To say that nt-lets have slower working brains is a nice thought but probably wrong.

Best of luck to you all,
Ceesjan;
a newly WP-addict,
Hi!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 9:47 am

Funny how many people take a couple second pause for processing presume that you haven't been listening, I do sometimes hear something, then I wait, then it becomes unravelled in my mind then I understand it. Sometimes I do speak at a 1:1 ratio with my brain. Thoughts are directly processed to my mouth, and visuals in my head disappear. I just wait for my mouth to finish