Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 1:32 pm

Before my period when my hormones go into full swing I seem to loose the ability to recall words. I have problems to begin with but durring that time it seems that I can bearly have a conversation. Im always saying...."you know, that thing???" or "whats that word?????" and nobody ever knows so I just try to limit my speech to simple words.
Does this happen to anyone else?

darkwhispersdale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2008, 5:17 pm

I get this two weeks after my period I simply can't find words. Example in work yesterday I asked our facilities manager to 'swap oxy thing at bottom room nothing' which he translated as exchange oxygen cylinder at far end of lab as its empty. How he got that I have no idea :lol:

silly_rabbi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2008, 5:31 pm

liloleme wrote:
Before my period when my hormones go into full swing I seem to loose the ability to recall words. I have problems to begin with but durring that time it seems that I can bearly have a conversation. Im always saying...."you know, that thing???" or "whats that word?????" and nobody ever knows so I just try to limit my speech to simple words.

I'll sometimes have to pause in a conversation to think of a synonym for the word I'm thinking of. I usually manage to find one close enough and say that's not the word exactly but it's close enough. Or I'll describe whatever I'm talking about and someone will fill in the blank and give me the word. I know when I'm particularly stressed or tired I'll make up my own words (which usually tends to be a bit of "speaking" dyslexia, only switching letters when I speak), and I'll have to stop to think about how a word sounds before I say it. I usually go around talking in monosyllabic words for a while until my brain and tongue can work together again. I don't know if these times coincide with ovulation or not, but something to keep my eye on in the future.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:11 pm

liloleme wrote:

Yes, i've had that happen for years. Its recently been found to be attributed to catamenial seizures

Are you on birth control? The hormonal flucuations that occur with periods can cause the brains neurons to rapidly fire (ie seizures) even if they don't happen at other times of the month. Hormonal birth control will prevent you from ever getting too high a level of estrogen which in turn will prevent you from experiencing this

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 9:24 pm

Ive never been able to take birth control pills....they make me a psycho LOL.
I have my tubes tied now and Ive had not one but two endometrial ablations (burn out my endometrial lining from my uterus). I had a form of endometriosis.
I do believe that it is the estrogen though that causes my problems....I also tend to be far more stressed and stimm more before and durring my period.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 9:27 pm

liloleme wrote:
I have my tubes tied now and Ive had not one but two endometrial ablations (burn out my endometrial lining from my uterus). I had a form of endometriosis.
I do believe that it is the estrogen though that causes my problems....I also tend to be far more stressed and stimm more before and durring my period.

one other thing, don't eat salt or caffeine when this happens. Be careful with salt is there are alot of prepackaged and canned foods that include a ton of salt. Also try taking fish oil supplements and/or eating alot of olive oil. it would also be good to take linoleic acid supplements but since I can't find them anywhere i doubt you'll be able to

What you might want to do is consult an endocrinologist about this. Especially is it does sound you need hormonal therapy. The endo will work closely with the gyno to get you on the right hormonal therapy so you don't have any bad side effects from it

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:35 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
liloleme wrote:

one other thing, don't eat salt or caffeine when this happens. Be careful with salt is there are alot of prepackaged and canned foods that include a ton of salt. Also try taking fish oil supplements and/or eating alot of olive oil. it would also be good to take linoleic acid supplements but since I can't find them anywhere i doubt you'll be able to

What you might want to do is consult an endocrinologist about this. Especially is it does sound you need hormonal therapy. The endo will work closely with the gyno to get you on the right hormonal therapy so you don't have any bad side effects from it

Thank you for all the advise. I am a saltaholic so I will try to cut back. I did take fish oil a few years ago and Ive been thinking I should start again....I do eat a lot of olive oil though. I am a bit wary of hormone therapy as Ive tried some in the past and had bad reactions but you arent the only person who has told me that I should go to an endocrinologist.