Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 4:01 am

After struggled the whole year, I made up my mind in the end. I always know that
I am not belong the normal world, I like make friends who accept my unusual personality,
but I don't like school. I tried for year to fight against the situation and find the
truth of my life, however the truth is always too cruel to face. By far, I still have
serious problem fitting in the social occasions, I am still an outsider, not a freak
but the lonely one. I also bear tremendous mental pressure while socializing with people.
My tortured brain told me it is the time to stop the turmoil. Maybe I need some therapy
to recover my dump mood. The depression took away my inspirations and the sources
of joyment. It made me feel lazy and have no energy to do anything. According to this
signs, I still believe that I made the right choice. It is the most important moment
in my life, it's also the first time I stood up against the social rules.

I don't want to do pointless things anymore, that's really enough. :(

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:03 am

soo you quit school?.. :(

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2008, 4:15 am

My senior year AP European History teacher asked "why does everyone need to go to college"?

I think he was right--college isn't for everyone.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:47 am

Everyone needs to go to college because it seems like employers are valuing a piece of paper more than real skill. The truth of the matter is, college is not right for everyone and even in some cases, is bordering on ridiculous.

We are losing many people who know trades (Plumbers, Electricians, Carpenters) because we are insisting that they should know Shakespere to do their job. Nothing could be further from the truth. But yet, we now require even those trades to have a college degree. I would rather an apprintace type program.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:59 am

I would not be able to agree it is pointless, but if it was causing you depression then it may have been wise to take a step back.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:20 am

Do what's going to be best for you. Try to keep career options open, depending on your talents and interests.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

Get your GED and go to trade school. Quite a good chance for a job there.

You could also go for home-schooling. Many curricula exist that are meant to be independent-study style.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

High school dropout here (due to this little thingy called Autism).

School isn't for everyone.

As long as you're comfortable, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks or says, as they're only seeing it from their perspective that's devoid of the difficulties you face.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:25 am

School isn't for many autistics. Being uneducated doesn't help anything, so that is why I recommend home-schooling for most. Social isolation can easily be solved because there are a lot of home-school groups that get kids together for anything from a biology lesson to a tennis match. Most home-schoolers seem to be more social than not, actually.

You shouldn't have to torture yourself to get an education.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

07 Sep 2008, 9:44 am

Yeah school is really hard if you have a learning disability. I feel frustrated when people tell me "School is hard for everyone." Damn it, don't they know anything about learning disabilities. People who struggle in about everything because the work is abstract. They need more help than everyone else because their learning style is different. The work is even harder for you while it's easier to everyone else because they don't have a freakin' learning disability, my kind of course.

I know it would be hard for my boyfriend too because of his LD but some of it might have been caused by brain damage because he is unable to memorize things like he could not memorize math problems like all the other students in 1st grade. He had to count in his head to get the answer. He said it even took him longer to learn things so imagine what college would be like for him. He does not learn as fast as other people do. Reading is also very difficult for him. There are books out there he can't read because they are too hard for him but he can read teen books. He can read Harry Potter and understand what is going on in them. I told him those books are for all ages so that's why he could read them.

Yes I do know you can get extra help in college with your work.

wrongchild

07 Sep 2008, 9:48 am

Thanks for your comments.

I know studying in college is important, but the frustration really beat me. I am major fine art now, however, I can't keep relationships with my classmates and teachers. My classmates all have lots of fun together except me. Everytime I felt upset I went to the library sleeping on the seat, sometimes weep alone.

I did learn something from college (such like how to socialize with people )but the more I
suffered from the situation.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 12:42 pm

wrongchild wrote:
Thanks for your comments.

I know studying in college is important, but the frustration really beat me. I am major fine art now, however, I can't keep relationships with my classmates and teachers. My classmates all have lots of fun together except me. Everytime I felt upset I went to the library sleeping on the seat, sometimes weep alone.

I did learn something from college (such like how to socialize with people )but the more I
suffered from the situation.

yeah, I can totally relate. I took a year out between my second and third year cause I couldn't stand the social rejection. when I came back I got put with a different group of students whom I found really tolerant and open and although I didn't make any close friends (I think I have enough of those and would have a problem to keep up with more) I felt totally accepted and finished my degree with succes.

maybe you should just take a break for some time too?

DJDizzy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2008, 3:03 pm

I dropped out from high school because things were too easy for me, and i lacked motivation. As someone else said on these boards (cant remember name): Schools should be a wondrous place of learning, not a place where you let out a sigh before entering.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 3:52 am

I quit school 2 years ago. Most people think I'm being home schooled, but I don't do anything school-related. I just a plain ol' drop out. But in the long run it doesn't really matter since I can't work and my parents promised me that I could live with them until my mother dies.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 3:52 am

I quit school 2 years ago. Most people think I'm being home schooled, but I don't do anything school-related. But in the long run it doesn't really matter since I can't work and my parents promised me that I could live with them until my mother dies.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 4:47 am

I squeaked all the way through to my senior year, where I switched schools, but I did not graduate. I was minus one semester of one math class when I got my GED. My councellor had suggested to me years before that I go ahead and drop out and go straight to community college.
I probably should have taken her advice.