Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 4:10 pm

I enjoyed being a GIS technician. Sure it only paid $11-13 an hour, but I was happy doing it. Yet I feel that potential romantic partners will only date guys who make at least $50,000 a year and who have college degrees.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 5:27 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I enjoyed being a GIS technician. Sure it only paid $11-13 an hour, but I was happy doing it. Yet I feel that potential romantic partners will only date guys who make at least $50,000 a year and who have college degrees.

Someone's probably told you this before, but here it is again, Tim_Tex: earning $50,000 a year and having a college degree is not going to make it any easier finding a woman. I've found no positive correlation between my income and my success with women, although I would say that you're better to have a job, than not. Furthermore, you tend to find the more you earn and the more you are perceived by others as well-educated, intelligent, and of some importance within your area of work, then the more people expect a certain level of social ability from you. If you have AS you won't have that ability, and the paradox people are presented with when they find your lack of social skills in these circumstances often causes them then to stay well clear. In fact, if I think about it, I had more opportunities with females when I was earning peanuts and had meagre qualifications. These days, I've just given up, because I know it's not even worth bothering to initiate anything with the few females I do come into contact with for the reasons I've given.

If you've found a job you were happy doing, and it paid enough to feed you, put a roof over your head, and leave a little over for some fun, then if you're unhappy in what you're doing now, I'd strongly suggest you go back to it. Life's short. As you get older there are no guarantees of tomorrow. Do what makes you happy, and causes you least stress. You'll then put yourself in the best position to find a female, although like most things in life, there are no guarantees.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 9:15 pm

The people I am trying to attract are these liberals who have hippie ideals, but will tolerate eating meat and driving SUVs. Many of them hang out at upscale bars in the trendy parts of big cities. Those are the ones who require college degrees and a certain income.

The ones who will tolerate lower incomes are the ones who will make me become a vegetarian, drive a VW Beetle, drink fancy European beers, and wear hoodies everywhere I go (most geographers and urban planners wear suits and ties on the job--which is a turnoff to traditional hippies), and be a die-hard environmentalist.

Other than that, I am pretty much stuck with right-wing nut jobs, who want to live like it's still the 1850s. I am considering renouncing Christianity, all because of people like Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The people I am trying to attract are these liberals who have hippie ideals, but will tolerate eating meat and driving SUVs. Many of them hang out at upscale bars in the trendy parts of big cities. Those are the ones who require college degrees and a certain income.

The ones who will tolerate lower incomes are the ones who will make me become a vegetarian, drive a VW Beetle...

If it was anyone else, I'd think they were joking. As it's you, and you've written about this before, I'll assume you're not. You know, people can't be put into categories as neatly as that. I really think you somehow need to get to grips with reality, rather than going to great lengths making life-changing plans based on a very dubious premise.

That's supposed to be helpful, not harsh, btw.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 4:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
drink fancy European beers

Hey man, don't knock European brews!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 6:37 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
drink fancy European beers

Hey man, don't knock European brews!

Not knocking them. That's something that should be my choice, not as some induction ritual.

I don't even drink.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 7:50 pm

I was just joking with you. :wink:

But it's not an induction ritual or anything. There's lots of upper-class liberal yuppies that drink Bud and Coors, and lots of scruffy libertarians that prefer European beers (like me!).

MariaRenee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2008, 10:37 am

You are boxing yourself into imaginary corners that only exist within your own mind.

It sounds like you are afraid of the higher expectations you may be confronted with socially if you allow yourself to go into a higher paying career. I think you should just let those ideas go and be yourself to the greatest extent possible.

SPCDavid
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2008, 11:02 am

I look at it this way, you suffer for a few years of your life to get a degree (I don't like school either), then you're at least in a position to blend in with a more upscale crowd. Sure social skills play into it, but being in a better income bracket and being well-read don't exactly hurt your odds either. I mean clothes and cars play on a crowd's predjudices pretty effectively and with an income (and only you to spend it on), you'll have the tools to make the impression you need.

Just remember that what you're going through right now won't last forever. In the end, you'll have something to show for it, if anything, glorified piece of paper and relief. But I know if I were to quit right now, I'd be miserable, in the lower income bracket, and kicking myself for giving up. Just remember how you felt when you we're wondering what you could do to change things in the first place.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:09 pm

Nearly everything I do is to impress liberal yuppies.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:01 pm

I am at a point where I have to drop my philosophy class. I am not understanding anything in that class at all. and this is after I talked to my professors.

It is nothing but intense abstract thinking, and it's too much for me to handle. Yet, it is a required class for graduation. If I drop, I have to take it again. Yet if I get a D or an F, I have to take it again.

The only way I can get a good grade is if they can cure me of AS.

The only other thing I can think to do is transfer to another college where philosophy is not required.

MariaRenee

01 Oct 2008, 9:52 pm

Philosophy has always been one my strongest subjects. Interesting..

You may be able to get a decent grade if you can find a tutor who understands you are a very concrete, literal thinker and who can find a way a to visually represent the concepts in someway that is tangible.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 1:26 pm

I found out that the problem most people are having in that class is that they changed the format from a history of philosophy class to more of a critical thinking format.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 6:26 pm

If it's any consolation, I'm either going to fail or get a mediocre-to-poor grade in my chem class since my parents forbid me to drop any courses.

ctcycle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2008, 8:07 pm

You can make a lot of money as an urban planner, particularly if you have strong GIS skills. Furthermore, I've found that just knowing GIS often gets me fantastic internships. Geology may be a particularly viable career path given the oil crisis, but we're going to need good urban planners to cure our addiction to oil and suburbia. I'd say geography/urban planning is a damn good degree right now, and its way more interesting (coming from an urban planning major...) than well...rocks.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 4:51 am

I worked as a GIS Technician for 4 years.

I am mainly concerned about my crap philosophy class right now.