Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 10:28 pm

Borage is a herb and it won't cure autism. Google it.. And fish-oil too.
And see what others think of it.

Again best of luck,

Janie08
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2008, 10:31 pm

Erminea wrote:
Borage is a herb and it won't cure autism. Google it.. And fish-oil too.
And see what others think of it.

Again best of luck,

Thanks - not looking for an herbal cure, just curious about it for health reasons.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 11:02 pm

It's an herb that you can eat in salads, the blue flowers are edible too and sometimes appear on fancy desserts, but the omega-6 is in the seed-oil. Which might be sold as something else, 'starflower oil' or something that sounds like that. I don't think anybody thinks it, or other essential fatty acids, cure autism. People just think they improve brain-function, but can't prove it.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 11:58 pm

http://www.oilofpisces.com/attentiondef ... order.html

I don't know about the validity of this study but I would like to look more into it. I read a few other articles that seem to confirm it. I did read one article on cod liver oil and autism as well and it suggested that cod liver oil does help. Again, I don't know the validity. It could be a really crappy study. If there were actual valid proof it helped it, I am sure word would have spread more.

For my son, it does seem to help with his attention and stutter. We didn't give him cod liver oil for a month and he was stuttering a lot more, seemed more OCD-like and had more difficulties with attention. Other people were mentioning his behavior and stutter to us during this time. A few weeks after reintroducing cod liver oil, he seemed better.

No matter what, I still have to realize that it could be the "placebo effect" and we think there is a difference when there is none. That is what could have happened in those studies as well. I need to look more into it. Was it a double blind placebo study or not? Did some kids get "fake" fish oil? I will read it more tonight.

Fish oil and cod liver oil is still really good for us all. It is good for memory and I need that a lot more than my son LOL!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 8:13 am

ProtossX wrote:
autism is autism , fish oil is fish oil thats all there is to it

OK, so if you want fish oil, you should get fish oil!? NEAT THEORY THERE, but I think they figured that out millions of years ago!

Omega 3 is recognized as helping joints, the heart, and brain. I'll be honest in saying that I don't see any current clear correlation between it and memory, in my own case. There HAVE been some studies to prove some things.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:54 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
ProtossX wrote:
autism is autism , fish oil is fish oil thats all there is to it

Omega 3 is recognized as helping joints, the heart, and brain. I'll be honest in saying that I don't see any current clear correlation between it and memory, in my own case. There HAVE been some studies to prove some things.

I wish it helped my memory, too. My memory sucks